collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 307
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year  (Read 3433 times)

Offline cosworth151

Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:02:34 PM »
Oxford Dictionaries has announced its choice for Word of the Year 2012: omnishambles.

The word, defined as "a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterized by a string of blunders and miscalculations" originated on the British TV program In The Thick Of It. It is not know if the announcement was intentionally timed to coincide with the Austin F1 race.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

Re: Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »
Heheh great word, I might start using that at work.

Cos, your determination that the USGP will be a disaster reminds me of before the Olympics, when I thought London would simply cave in on itself, with traffic and the inevitable governmental omnishambles. In the end I was pleasantly surprised, London coped more than admirably. I say let this monkey off your back, sit back and enjoy – unless of course your way of enjoying it is to rant against it. Gotta be done sometimez.  ;)

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
But Cos, did you know that 'omnishambles' was created to describe the British Government.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig. I can't understand how anybody could be happy that his mediocre, inaccessible, overpriced mess in the middle of nowhere has now taken races from the two greatest racing venues in the western hemisphere, Indy & Sebring.

As I've said, this will be the first USGP in ages that I won't be attending. I take no joy in that. There was just no way I could bring myself to face that God-awful mess just trying to get to the circuit.

The major media here in the States has been completely silent about the race. I'm know that they will be more than happy to plaster pictures of the massive traffic snarls all over the place.

In a year or two, COTA will follow Texas World Speedway in to well deserved oblivion. Sadly, the damage it will do to motorsports in America will last for years.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig. I can't understand how anybody could be happy that his mediocre, inaccessible, overpriced mess in the middle of nowhere has now taken races from the two greatest racing venues in the western hemisphere, Indy & Sebring.

As I've said, this will be the first USGP in ages that I won't be attending. I take no joy in that. There was just no way I could bring myself to face that God-awful mess just trying to get to the circuit.

The major media here in the States has been completely silent about the race. I'm know that they will be more than happy to plaster pictures of the massive traffic snarls all over the place.

In a year or two, COTA will follow Texas World Speedway in to well deserved oblivion. Sadly, the damage it will do to motorsports in America will last for years.

I don't know that COTA will set auto racing back in the USA.  It might not bring things forward, but when the USA is littered with world class facilities, one track isn't going to bring anything down.

CNN spent a lot of time showing how happy Americans were to line up for hours to vote... I don't really expect that to carry over to motorsports, but who knows?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
This year's race is a financial success. It's sold out to the  tune of 140,000 or so tickets. If the race is decent and the measures to minimize the traffic problem work at all, maybe a few of them will return next year. There will be improvements to access and better established protocols. As I have said before, Indy is a fabulous facility, but the track is pretty ordinary. COTA could hardly be worse. And the reason the race isn't at Indy is that TG said the money is wrong so we don't want your race. Bernie didn't take it away, Indy said no dough no go. Sebring is a tragedy. To lose an historic event like the 12 hours is just wrong. But I have no control or influence over any of the parties involved and racing is notoriously unsentimental.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
If it's sold out, why was I still receiving e-mails last week saying "Good seats are still available! Order now!"
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
Don't know. I just saw a couple of websites that said sold out.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
If it's sold out, why was I still receiving e-mails last week saying "Good seats are still available! Order now!"

Perhaps it is like many concert ticket sales in Britain - tickets released in groups (known as "tranches") to make it more difficult for ticket touts and electronic auto-buyers for the black market and increase the proportion of tickets that are sold directly to fans. The system tends to make third-party websites see no tickets when the direct source still has some (it will simply have blocked the third-party website auto-checkers after spotting their suspicious behaviour).

From the audience figures given for COTA, I'd say it was well-attended but not close to selling out.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
Yeah, I guess the re-sellers bought it up, but they were stuck with tickets at the end.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
Even with the small crowd, they still ran out of beer!  :swoon:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
Yeah, what was THAT about?  Who runs out of beer at a sporting event?  :fool: :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
Hehe, on one of our pub holidays to Turkey we done a boat trip and ran the boat out of booze three times.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 04:19:25 AM »
Hehe, on one of our pub holidays to Turkey we done a boat trip and ran the boat out of booze three times.

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Not good for health though...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

vintly

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »

That sounds like my sort of holiday - good work!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle