collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 604
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Do you like the sound of 2014 F1 cars?

I like it
4 (21.1%)
I don't like it
7 (36.8%)
Makes no difference
3 (15.8%)
I'll get used to it
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: 2014 Engine Sound....  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Vince

2014 Engine Sound....
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
I meant to say, don't those engines sound awful?  :crazy:

A bit like an angry wasp stuck in a bottle...

I miss the old F1 sound.  :'(

The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.
Murray Walker

Offline Scott

Re: 2014 Engine Sound....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
This should be a poll.

I don't like the new sound.  F1 engines need to wind up to at least the high teens or better yet 20krpm.  I don't care if they have 6-8-10 or 12 cylinders, it is the speed of the engine cycle that makes the sound, and the higher the better.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Vince

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
Can't argue with that - I remember my first visit to Silverstone quite a few years ago and literally being stopped in my tracks by my first F1 sound experience... 
Murray Walker

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
Can't argue with that - I remember my first visit to Silverstone quite a few years ago and literally being stopped in my tracks by my first F1 sound experience... 

Exact same moment I experienced as I walked through Monza park towards the track and the first couple cars went out on the track in FP1 7 or 8 years ago.  Hair went up on my neck.

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
It is just so different. Will Buxton (NBCSports pit reporter) said they sound much better in person than on the tv. He described the sound something from a science fiction movie, he said every time a car went by it was like something from star wars. Personally I don't mind it. Under breaking the cars sound mega, I just love how you can hear everything that is going on inside the car. But yes, it is very different, and will take some getting used to.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
This should be a poll.

Great Idea Scott, hopefully Vinceyboy's won't mind me adding a simple poll to his thread. You can make 2 votes so you can effectively say 'I don't like it' but 'I'll get used to it'.

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

vintly

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »
A bit like an angry wasp stuck in a bottle...

Haha! Many years ago when I had time to play with synths and drum machines etc, I made music as a hobby. I played my mother a track once and she said 'That sounds like wasps in a jar'. So it was named as such - Wasps In A Jar - available on request!

As for the F1 sound, I don't feel qualified to vote until I've heard them in person. On TV they sound obviously quieter, which is a minus, and don't have that amazing scream, which is a minus. But they do have points of interest too, with the winding whoosh of the turbo. What I'm interested to hear is what a pack of F1 cars sounds like when they change down under braking into a medium corner.

As the pack approached turn 4 at the Spanish GP last year the scream got louder, and louder, and louder until they braked and down-shifted, making that angry guttural ripping sound that get me every time. Lots of it in here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3141319/F1/F1%20Sounds.mp3

I'm looking forward to hearing the new F1 equivalent, but I don't think it'll match up. Nevertheless I'm sure it'll sound interesting enough to make for an audio feast, even if not as loud as before.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
I never had a problem with the old sounds of F1 (I do like the days of less regulation and more 'personality' to the sounds of the cars, but I digress...)

I found that the new cars had a more 'high tech' sound to them.  The old F1 was the sound of power, the new F1 is the sound of science.

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
Very true vintly, although I voted I didn't like the new sound, until you hear it live you won't really know. I still remember walking through Monza Royal Park in 2010 and hearing it live, all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I had a shiver down my spine, I will never forget that wonderful scream of an F1 engine at 18,000 rpm.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
Seb says they sound like a vacuum cleaner. I don't think they sound even that good.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
I've no strong feelings either way.  The engine sound isn't a factor in my enjoyment of the sport.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Vince

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
This should be a poll.

Great Idea Scott, hopefully Vinceyboy's won't mind me adding a simple poll to his thread. You can make 2 votes so you can effectively say 'I don't like it' but 'I'll get used to it'.

Wiz

No worries, Wiz - I'm certainly game for that!

Peeps do have a point when they say that 'you have to hear them in person', however TV coverage is one of the things that make people want to go and see a race possibly for the first time.
Maybe people aren't going to notice too much if they haven't had that 'hairs on the back of the neck' experience in the past...
Murray Walker

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
I voted that I don't like it.  It may sound better live and up close, but I'll have to wait for Austin for that experience.

On the tube, I like my wife's comment as we watched qualifying.  "They sound like someone farting in snow suite."

The turbo is part of the problem with the sound, as they change the sound significantly.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline greener_09

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 01:53:17 PM »
I voted that I liked it. The new noise isn't that great for the start as the roar of the engines as the lights came on was always exciting but after that I never really paid attention to the noise during the race. There's something new now and I kind of like it and I don't think it's going away so hopefully everyone will eventually get used to it and just enjoy the racing.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »
Ron Walker, promoter of the Australian GP is trying to make the case that the quieter cars breach his contract with FOM and FIA.

...good luck with that one Ron.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12515/9218561/australian-gp-organisers-say-the-quieter-engine-noise-could-breach-f1-contract

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle