collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 603
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Driver Talk Strike Over Lack of Pay  (Read 3010 times)

Offline cosworth151

F1 Driver Talk Strike Over Lack of Pay
« on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »
According to Sport Bild, Romain Grosjean, Nico Hulkenberg, Adrian Sutil and Kamui Kobayashi are all owed back pay. Kimi is still owed for his time at Lotus. The GPDA is now reportedly talking strike.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140415/f1/140419901#ixzz2yyNly1KL

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

Re: F1 Driver Talk Strike Over Lack of Pay
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
The house of cards is teetering.

I expect a few new sponsors to show up, all with cash to burn courtesy of a very short, very old, anonymous donar.

Offline Scott

Re: A U.S. F1 Team Might Actually Happen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
The backpay for Grossjean, Hulkenberg, Sutil and Kobi can be covered by the jar of nickels Bernie uses to balance the books when they don't work out, and Kimi doesn't belong to the union, so who cares about him. 

Like Jeri said, it will never, ever happen.  No chance, no way.  I'm not sure it will be an anonymous donor, probably more likely a bit of urging by Bernie for those teams to re-prioritize enough money to shut the drivers up...maybe even he pays them in a form of a loan to those teams.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »
Grosjean's can probably be handled by deducting the cost of breakage.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
And on his birthday too - nice pressie!

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:53:05 AM »
I am not sure what the strike would be like, because surely it will bring bad coverage as well as make F1 a bit of a joke. But the issue is serious, the regulatory body should handle these without spilling things to the press. Can a team enjoy a race without paying racing fees? I think they cannot. Can a race organizer have a race without paying the regulatory/commercial right owners? No they cannot. So its just a matter of implementing a certain set of rules to ensure drivers which they are entitled for. But I have a feeling, they don't want to because there will always be willing drivers to succumb to non-payment in exchange for a drive in F1 car.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:28 AM »
Sir Jackie organized a strike back in the day over safety issues. Only a handful of drivers raced (maybe 6?). The Ferrari drivers dominated, but a late race incident caused bad blood between them, which many blame for causing Gilles Villenueve's fatal crash at the next race. Cossie probably remembers it better than I.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
You mean 1982 at Imola?  That was nothing to do with a driver's strike over safety.  That was a boycott by the FOCA aligned teams in the FISA/FOCA war, so only the FISA teams raced.

There were 14 starters and six finishers, Winkelhock's ATS was then disqualified to leave five finishers.  The controversy was that Pironi overtook Villeneuve to win against an agreement between the two that whoever was leading at a certain point during the race (this part is a bit sketchy, so please correct me if I'm wrong) would win.  Villeneuve was leading in the closing stages, Pironi overtook him, and it caused a lot of bad blood which carried over to Zolder and Villeneuve's fatal crash.

For those interested, the results (with grid position in brackets) were:

1 Pironi - Ferrari (4)
 2 Villeneuve - Ferrari (3)
 3 Alboreto - Tyrrell-Cosworth (5)
 4 Jarier - Osella-Cosworth + 1 lap (9)
 5 Salazar - ATS-Cosworth + 3 laps (14)
DQ Winkelhock - ATS-Cosworth (12)
 nc Fabi Toleman-Hart 52 laps (10)
   r Arnoux Renault 44 laps-engine (1)
   r Giacomelli Alfa-Romeo 24 laps-engine (6)
   r Paletti Osella-Cosworth 7 laps-suspension (13)
   r Prost Renault 6 laps-engine (2)
   r de Cesaris Alfa Romeo 4 laps-electrical (7)
   r Henton Tyrrell-Cosworth 0 laps-transmission (11)
   r Warwick Toleman-Hart 0 laps-electrical (8)

This race also saw Osella achieve their highest ever finish in a Grand Prix, and was the scene of Salazar's highest ever finish in Formula 1.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle