collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 614
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Another Old Guys Series...  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Scott

Another Old Guys Series...
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
Well, F1 Masters went broke in 3 races, and now Bernie is looking at reviving it in maybe a slightly different form. 

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/309423/plans-for-championship-with-ex-f1-drivers/

Gets a thumbs down from me.  I don't care if ex-F1 drivers want to race in other series, all the power to them, and I suppose if one of my all-time favourites was racing another series, I might put more effort into watching that, but to create a series just for F1 drivers without a drive is probably doomed just like the last time.

IMO we should have more ex-F1 drivers as pundits and interviewers to bring a far more knowledgeable BBC and Sky team to the racetracks.  The whole broadcast team should be made up of only F1 drivers.  I know there are already a few, but what is with that brunette who won't let go of her iPad - the one with DC?  Yeesh, do we really have to listen to her?  It almost turns me off the BBC broadcast, but I do love it when DC smirks at something stupid that she's said.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:40:53 PM by scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

Re: Another Old Guys Series...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:30:17 PM »
Don't get me started on her Scott, she just winds me up with some of her pathetic comments, the BBC team won't be any good until EJ reappears.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
I suspect that most F1 drivers recently out of the sport are still racing in series and just not available for TV.

Of those that are, I would guess that most operate out of their own country.  Then from that pool, they have to have a tv presence.  Certainly more and more F1 drivers seem to have that though.

(I would pay anything to have Kimi as a commentator.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »
Don't get me started on her Scott, she just winds me up with some of her pathetic comments, the BBC team won't be any good until EJ reappears.

Yeah, what happened to EJ?  It's just not the same without his pink shirts, and I notice even DC has decided to go back to boring colours, while he would often compliment Eddie's choice of the morning.  (gulp, am I actually talking about fashion on an F1 forum?   |-( |-(  )
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »

Stump up for SKY coverage Ian and Johnny Herbert, Damon Hill, Ant Davidson - oh and Brundle will take your mind off Suzi's posing.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »
Damon Hill, no thanks John, and the stupid cow on sky is just as bad a Perry. Having had one experience of sky, never again.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:52:19 AM »
Put them in proper V8's, V10's & V12's, take them to tracks like Imola, Zanvoort, and Indy, then spray the whole place with FIA repellant. F1 itself will be history in a couple of seasons.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 05:09:35 AM »
I think instead of making a racing series they can make a series like Goodwood festival of speed in many other places like Monza, Nurburgring where the history of racing so enriched, and the previous champions will race each other to fill the thrill of themselves as well as the passion of the spectators. If they want to start racing, I am sure there is still plenty of racing series to fill it, you don't need another series which may take away a little bit of finances from the F1 itself. They could also make a support series in every F1 race, thus it will give the promoter an extra thing to market, and it will also reduce the infrastructure cost tremendously.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »

My problem with these historic series is they don't race, well not in the way we understand motor racing. Because they are using a limited resource every effort is taken to avoid damage of any sort, no development work takes place either so what you've got is what you continue to race with.

Sure as an added extra to an F1 weekend it may be good for entertainment, however as a main attraction it has it's limits - as the Masters GP series found.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle