collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 510
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heroes and Zeroes Spa F1  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Scott

Heroes and Zeroes Spa F1
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
Just figured I'd start this thread, even though I haven't actually watched more than the last 4 laps and replays of the first.  But there was enough action to make a couple comments.  I'll amend this or respond to others tomorrow after I get a chance to watch it.

Heroes:

Race for 5th place in the last few laps was a blast to watch.  I haven't even checked if Mag got a penalty vs Alonso yet, but the dicing was great to watch, sorry that Button got the worst of that one, but I have no idea who was on what strategy at that point, so maybe it was inevitable.

Ricciardo's podium smile.  It's probably the same as his bathroom smile for all I know.  It's a real joy to watch him on the podium, even though I know Bottas was probably just as thrilled to get his 4th podium, he just doesn't ooze the thrill like Daniel does.  Don't know how or when Ricciardo got the better of Vettel, but pretty happy he did...once again (just exactly how fast is Vettel's star fading?  Pretty fast).

Zeroes:

Everyone at Mercedes who was in front of a camera except Hamilton, who was remarkably calm and collected (probably because he knew what was coming in that 16:45 meeting).  Rosberg was a dickweed on the podium, and should have been at the very least sorry for Hamilton's non-finish.  Some of these guys have just forgotten how to be human I think.  Wolf was little better, though DC was impressed he was so candid, I think he was prematurely so.  As Eddie said, if you don't want that kind of thing to happen, don't tell everyone your drivers are allowed to race and lay down the law.  Lauda was a tool...well, Lauda's always a tool, but this time it seemed they both had the same script, so that was an improvement.  Still nags me that Lauda doesn't wear a stitch of Merc clothing to a race.

Eddie.  For a guy who says he has the pulse of F1, to so completely dismiss driver emotion in his rant was really surprising.  Wouldn't even let DC bust in and give his side...could just see DC standing there grinning, but seething inside because Eddie was saying DC's life's work was meaningless in comparison to sponsors and team management.  I think there is a balance somewhere in there, and lets be honest, there are quite a few drivers who don't give a toss about what the team management wants or says....now can anybody say F-e-r-r-a-r-i?

So, that's all for now, from 4 laps and the podium.  Looks like I missed a heckuva race.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Heroes and Zeroes Spa F1
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
K Mag got a 20 secs penalty for not giving Alonso space, and putting him on the grass, on the run to Les Combs so he drops to 12th. All those behind get promoted, Button gets 6th, Alonso 7th, Perez 8th, Kvyat 9th and The Hulk 10th.

But you're right it was a great battle for 5th place, however I think K Mag went too far on more than one occasion.

Heroes:

Ricciardo, well what can I add - just superb. Plus Red Bull - whoever called for that skinny rear wing certainly got it spot on,  :good: more points could have been gained if Seb had properly bought into the programme.  ;)

Kimi for an excellent run showing he still has it.

The 5th place scrap as outlined by Scott.

Zeros:

Vettel - how to throw away a race not once but twice.  :D

Mercedes for the wrong tyre calls on Rosberg making sure he couldn't win.  ;)  ......Hey the penny has just dropped the Merc strategy guys felt he was getting unfair advantage from his causing Lewis' puncture.  :D

Magnusson - trying to be Trulli in your first season will only end in tears.  :D 
Seriously though I think he deserves not one but three penalties, none of the bunch he was defending against - all World champs by the way - were very impressed with his driving standards.  ::)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:17:39 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
Always love watching a race at Spa so it is the 1st hero.
Kimi managed to wring as much as possible from the Red POS so he gets #2.
Riccardo rocks and any time Vettel gets beat by his team-mate is a good day in my books.
Bonus points to Eddie Jordan for giving he booing crowd crap during driver interviews on the podium. Hamilton fans booing another Merc driver or any driver is just bad sportmanship. Good on ya Eddie!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Heroes:

I'm going to put K Mag in here. No where in a driver's job description does it say, "Politely surrender a race position to another team." Of course, Trulli has always been a favorite of mine.

Danny Ric is always a joy to watch after winning a race. During the race, he was so far off in the distance that we really didn't get to see much of him.

Zeroes:

Rosberg's move on Hamilton was amateurish at best. It was far too early in the race for such a risky move. As Ant showed in slo-mo after the race, Nico moved in, back out and then snapped back in just in time to cut down Lewis's tire.

Ferrari's decision to rush crew members onto a live track as the field rolled off on the recon lap. Very, very dangerous. A five second hold during a pit stop was a slap on the wrist.

I'll toss the weather in here, too. Come on now, it's Spa! Where was the rain?  :DntKnw:

Hard Luck Award:

André Lotterer's F1 debut was in a crap car that conked out on him minutes into the race. He deserves better.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:36 AM »
Lotterer showed a bit of something by out qualifying Ericsson by over a second. Magnussen was OK, except when he ran Alonso into the grass on the straight. Believe the rules say you have to leave a car width for a car along side. Aa for the Mercs, bet if the positions were reversed, we would all be praising Hamilton's aggressiveness trying to pass Nico. Lewis has fallen far in my estimation the last few years. Hobbs and Matchett looked at the slow mo and called it a racing incident, 50/50 blame. I agree. And with double points (ugh!) at the last race, Ricciardo still has an outside shot at the WDC. How about that!!
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Heroes must include Kimi - let's hope this is the beginning of a revival.
Botas was impressive again
Can't help thinking that Riciardo deserved the win.

Zeros - Rosberg for the crash but even more because of the post race interview (Sky):- "why do you think you were booed?" - "because it is a British crowd". Errr, you are in Belgium you idiot!
Also, Ericson. Poor qualifying and race and generally outshone by Lotterer. Surely Ericson should be looking for a new job?

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »
After finally watching the race, I have a couple heroes to add.

Both Ferrari drivers.  Considering the straight line speed of the Ferrari, both were punching above their weight.

Bottas of course making fantastic passes on world champions on his journey to another podium. 

And now I have to admit I am starting to once again admire Vettel now he's on his back foot.  He drove clean and fair against the competition, and I actually caught myself smiling in his post race interview where there wasn't a whine to be heard, and he even had a smile through most of it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
As far as Belgian Grand Prix go it would have been nothing to write home about had it not been for the collision at Les Combes between Hamilton and Rosberg.  My initial impression was that Rosberg did not do it deliberately, but based on what was said after the team debrief late on Sunday evening, there has been an element of doubt cast over this.  All very messy for Mercedes.

I enjoyed Eddie Jordan's passion, and he did let DC have a say, it's just that Susie had to play referee between them :D.  All quite funny really.  Also, it did show just how differently team bosses and drivers think.  It made for very enjoyable television.

The battle for fifth was the highlight.  Magnussen went too far pushing Alonso onto the grass, but otherwise it was exciting stuff.  That penalty was very costly for McLaren though in that battle they're having with Force India.

Alonso would have beaten Raikkonen again had it not been for his penalty in my opinion.  As a result of this, and the fact that Raikkonen is always at his best at this track (think of 2009 when he had a terrible season, but still won at Spa), I think that it's too early to conclude that he is back to his best.

The rest of the race was pretty lacklustre to be honest.  Bianchi was unlucky to be hit by Grosjean, as he'd looked fast for Marussia all weekend, Maldonado had yet another technical problem (he's getting close to 1980s reliability levels with his car), and Vettel was beaten by Ricciardo again (which made me smile).  It wasn't the liveliest of events though.

Finally, I felt sorry for Lotterer.  He'd driven a very good weekend.  Comfortably quicker than Ericsson, and then the engine cut out.  I'd like to see him get another chance on a track where he has experience.  Maybe he could keep the seat for Monza?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle