collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 504
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mattiacci wants engine freeze rules relaxed  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Dare

Mattiacci wants engine freeze rules relaxed
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:40:25 AM »
F1 is supposed to be about the best technology in
the highest level of motor racing.Is it fair to penalize
a team for the whole season just because they didn't
initially get it right? I don't think so.... :DntKnw:

ESPN Staff
August 27, 2014 « McLaren formulating five-year driver plan - Boullier | McLaren considering Vandoorne options »

© Sutton Images
Enlarge
Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci says he wants manufacturers to be given the chance to make changes to their engine during a season.

Engines were homologated before the start of the season, with regulations only allowing approved changes to be made for reasons of reliability, safety or cost-saving. After tweaks are made this winter the same rule kicks in at the start of 2015, something Mattiacci wants to see changed.

"Yes, in a certain way - not as rigid as it is today. I would like a certain amount of opportunities a year to work on the engine," Mattiacci said when asked if he wanted the freeze to be lifted.

Mattiacci and his fellow team principals met during the Belgian Grand Prix and he admits this is an issue he raised.

"As you very well know we keep discussing about how to improve - if it's needed - every area of the Formula One product. [In Belgium] we had a fantastic race. But I suppose there are certain areas, the DNA of Formula One is innovating, innovating and catching up with the best one and being as fast as the smartest one. That's what I will keep, as Ferrari, insisting, and one of the areas is engine freezing."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Mattiacci wants engine freeze rules relaxed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:53:27 AM »
Engine developement helps everyone, even, or perhaps especially customer teams, who are also saddled with a crap engine and nothing they can do about it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
I agree with Scott.
I think that as long as any engine upgrade is distributed fairly to all teams using the engine then allowing upgrades would benefit F1.
However, they can't just ignore the fixed number of engines per season rules. Perhaps there should be set times in the season when an upgrade is allowed. One obvious one would be straight after the summer break. It could transform the second half of the season.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:08:37 AM »
I'd rather at least two development steps...maybe as they move to Europe and again after summer break.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »

Some freeing up on the freeze would be good and 2 or 3 fixed times for introduction seems to strike the right balance.

However unless the old ways of Ferrari International Assistance are reinstated all the engine makers will be free to upgrade, so any runaway leader may well add even further to their advantage, I wonder if the new Ferrari boss has factored that in.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
Oh, you mean he only thinks Ferrari should be able to develop the engines.  |-( :DD :DD

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
I agree with Scott.
I think that as long as any engine upgrade is distributed fairly to all teams using the engine then allowing upgrades would benefit F1.
However, they can't just ignore the fixed number of engines per season rules. Perhaps there should be set times in the season when an upgrade is allowed. One obvious one would be straight after the summer break. It could transform the second half of the season.

I think the fixed number of engines would naturally serve to cut costs on engine development while still allowing development.  If a company has to manufacture 100 identical engines, then having a set design that can be mass produced saves money.

However, since each supplier only makes 60 engines, the economy of scale no longer apply.  They're all hand made, and it doesn't matter if the engines are identical or not, there is no manufacturing savings.

I do realize that much of the cost is involved in R&D, but if the companies see the R&D as trickle down research, I think that the FIA can still cap the costs suppliers can charges to customers and still have willing suppliers.

As it is, why would Renault stay in the sport if they're forced to put their name on an inferior product?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »
I can see one issue that might be a bit tricky to navigate. Many of the engine improvements would probably involve replacement of major parts and assemblies. How many parts, and what parts, could be replaced without the unit being counted against the season total as a "new" engine? 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
I have always felt like the engine development freeze is against the spirit of F1, and also the displacement and valve restriction. This is the very heart of car racing, so this should be open, diverse, brilliant and cutting-edge technology. Yes we have to consider about cost, but can some one tell me over years in which department teams have spend up most of the resources? Its aero not engine, so cost cutting should be restricted on aero not in the engine.

The method by which the freeze is implied is feels dubious to me. Instead of freeze of development, I think there should be limit of budget and the engine should be build in house, no other third party, or a subsidiary of big company. There we will see creativity, brilliance the essence of F1 to the word.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle