collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 524
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA to ban radio instructions to drivers  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: FIA to ban radio instructions to drivers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »
They are going to have to go to pit boards only, or else someone is going to have to decipher all the codes the teams use  (any progress on finding out what a Hoagie is?)

Although, it would deprive us of one of the most iconic moments of recent F1 history:  Kimi's petulant "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"

In baseball, the manager is allowed to enter the field once per inning.  After that, the only way a manager can enter the field is to replace the pitcher.  Perhaps F1 can come up with  a fair rule limiting radio contact.  Only x minutes of radio per race, or a radio call must be followed by a pit stop.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
Knee jerk, as usual with the FIA.  I like the driving coaching.

They'll just have to code the messages:

"Say Sergio, I think maybe after the race we'll go for a beer at the pub on the LEFT side of SECOND STREET, but maybe we'll take off EARLY afterwards"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:21:35 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »

Seems like my imminent warning about radio ban 4 hours earlier than your topic is coming into effect sooner than I was expecting, Dare.  :D

http://www.gpwizard.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18623.0.html

Especially this season there's far too much guidance & information given out, the drivers should do it themselves during races.
Practice is the time to be giving any help or guidance, after all that's what it's called.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
The FIA continues their search for perfection. They won't rest until they are 100% wrong 100% of the time. Maybe we can also go back to gear sticks, drum brakes, front engines and carburetors, too. 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
The FIA continues their search for perfection. They won't rest until they are 100% wrong 100% of the time. Maybe we can also go back to gear sticks, drum brakes, front engines and carburetors, too.

Ride on mechanics!  Ride on mechanics!!!

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »

Seems like my imminent warning about radio ban 4 hours earlier than your topic is coming into effect sooner than I was expecting, Dare.  :D

http://www.gpwizard.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18623.0.html

Especially this season there's far too much guidance & information given out, the drivers should do it themselves during races.
Practice is the time to be giving any help or guidance, after all that's what it's called.  ;)

It'sallin the wording of the topic.Yours sounds to highbrow :tease:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
No kidding, I thought he was talking about driving school fees or something.  Bring it down to our level John  :crazy:

Offline Irisado

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
How are they going to even remotely be able to police this?  This is right up there with double points for stupidity.....  Why was this even deemed to be necessary?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
Why was this even deemed to be necessary?

Maybe a bit too much of the bubbly one night at the Place de la Concorde: "Hey, guys, ya know what would be cool?" (Said with a drunken slur)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »

I'm in favour of banning the overt driving instructions that we have been hearing this season, but I like the general sort of comments: "it's hammer time", "Seb is just a few secs ahead, let's go get him"  - etc. etc. I'm just hoping we don't lose the more jocular element to the radio it makes the races a bit more fun.

As I've said I'm against giving drivers instructions for things they should manage themselves mostly because it's driver ability that should win trophies not the pit wall gurus.  :nono:

I also object strongly to a lot of the radio instruction because I can't understand what the hell they are on about half the time, :fool: and I suspect most of the old timer ex-driver line ups in the commentary boxes don't either.  ;) 

Now if we must return to having radio information relayed from the pit wall can the teams make sure they give the broadcasters, & other media, crib sheets so they can translate for us the poor ignorant fans.  :P 

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
I disagree John.  It's too fine a line for Charlie or a steward to decide what is and isn't a driving instruction, and as I've said, the teams will simply create a code so that your jocular elements will simply become coded instructions.

I like to call it 'coaching', and it goes on in every sport, during the game, so what is really the big problem with it in F1?  The drivers are hired because they have the ability to put the car on a certain trajectory at very high speed, and do it with precision lap in and lap out, while also having the reflexes to deal with whatever the track throws back at them.  Teams hire the engineers to figure out which trajectories are best. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
I disagree John.  It's too fine a line for Charlie or a steward to decide what is and isn't a driving instruction, and as I've said, the teams will simply create a code so that your jocular elements will simply become coded instructions.

I like to call it 'coaching', and it goes on in every sport, during the game, so what is really the big problem with it in F1?  The drivers are hired because they have the ability to put the car on a certain trajectory at very high speed, and do it with precision lap in and lap out, while also having the reflexes to deal with whatever the track throws back at them.  Teams hire the engineers to figure out which trajectories are best.

I'm on the fence with this decision.  On one hand, an F1 car is a complicated machine, and someone holding on for dear life can't be expected to understand every nuance.

On the other hand, with the drivers holding on for dear life, and not able to to understand every nuance, it adds an element of chance and skill to the sport that will create a difference.  22 drivers with perfect mastery of their equipment and minute by minute instructions of how to use it is dull.

Most sports allow coaching, however, very few sports allow direct contact between a coach and an athlete during competition.  Some sports, such as tennis and baseball, put severe limits on coaching so it's not unheard of to cut down the amount of help an athlete receives from the sidelines.

The biggest danger is policing.  Is the FIA going to hire 22 people to listen to each driver?  Then we've got 22 opinions of what's 'fair'.  Or are we going to have one guy trying to make sense of 22 feeds?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »

Yes it appear the FIA will be monitoring all radio traffic.  :swoon:

There's also a table of allowable/banned information on this web page:-

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/16/fia-monitor-thousands-radio-messages-real-time/

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
Fine in the old days where all the driver had to worry about was the oil pressure and rpm's.  Todays car require a great deal of finessing with the myriad of steering wheel settings.  So the FIA expects a driver take an engineering course and learn all the causes and effects of all these settings, do the math in his head during the race and then apply it to the dials and buttons? 

I'd rather the driver just drive and let the pit wall tell him what dials to move etc...in fact just bring back 2 way telemetry and let the teams do it from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle