collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: SUZUKA - 2014 Japanese Grand Prix  (Read 6557 times)

Offline J.Clark

SUZUKA - 2014 Japanese Grand Prix
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »
This is a race I am usually excitedly awaiting.  It has provided some interesting racing over the years.

It was built as a test circuit for Honda back in 1962, which also makes it one of the oldest circuits on the tour.  The first time Formula 1 raced there however, did not come until 1987.  It has had upgrades over the years and has only been "modified" three times in its 54 years.  In 1983, a chicane was added before the last turn to slow the cars for the pit straight, and Degner (turn #8) was modified to make it two turns, or in reality perhaps, a double-apex curve.  2002 saw minor modifications in that the chicane was changes slightly and the esses were straighten a bit to make them faster (don't see that often).

There is some fairly significant elevation change in the climb from the hairpin up to Spoon curve.  This is where the Mercedes cars should truly outperform the others based upon previous races.

There will still be only one DRS zone.  It remains on the front straight, but frankly speaking, I would like to see it changed to the run down to 130R - perhaps too dangerous?

The track is 5.8km so about 3.6 miles.  It is also unique in that the layout is a figure eight, not clockwise, nor anti-clockwise.
The lap record was set by a V-10 McLaren in the hands of Kimi at 1:31.540.
Race winners on the current grid:  Vettel (4), Button, Alonso, Kimi, and while Hamilton won the Japanese GP, it was at Fuji, where Alonso also won a race.
Looking at the current situation and relative pace of the cars, I give Alonso a chance at a win here.  Of course, I know that Mercedes and Williams will both be very actively trying to do likewise with either of their drivers.

Currently, rain is forecast for Friday and Sunday.  One of the most exciting wet race finishes I can recall was the Japanese GP in 200? between Massa and Kubica: It was in Fuji, but . . .

In any case, FFP in two days (for me any way since it be Thursday night here).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:03:35 PM by J.Clark »

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

Re: SUZUKA - 2014 Japanese Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
One of the better circuits of the year. I'm so glad that the race stayed there instead of alternating with Fuji.

I'll be away at a state Amvets conference this week-end. I hope I have a TV and/or internet feed of the race. I'll try to be in the Chat Room if at all possible.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
'Pole Position' was one of the first ever racing games I played.  Suzuka was included as the 'expert track' (an oval for easy, and Brands Hatch as the medium difficultly).  Always had a bit of a soft spot for this track as a result.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
That was a fun clip.  Hamilton complaining that the race should be stopped while Massa and Kubica are dicing it out as if the track is dry (and just exactly WHY should I rate Hamilton in my top 3 again?   :crazy: :crazy: )  Great fun to watch JC.  Thanks.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
THAR SHE BLOWS...Typhoon warning coming to Suzuka?

Looks like it's going to be a wet one.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116120

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
Yep  :crazy:

Here is the onboard from Massa in the epic battle of 2007.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
Friday practices are in - got it done just before rain got heavy (or so it appeared would be the case).
1.  Hamilton   Mercedes   1m 35.078s
2.  Rosberg       Mercedes   1m 35.318s
3   Bottas        Williams   1m 36.279s
4.  Button        McLaren   1m 36.409s
5.  Vettel       Red Bull   1m 36.436s
6.  Raikkonen    Ferrari    1m 36.529s
7.  Alonso        Ferrari    1m 36.637s
8.  Magnussen    McLaren   1m 36.714s
9.  Kvyat        Toro Rosso   1m 36.943s
10. Ricciardo    Red Bull   1m 37.186s
11. Vergne        Toro Rosso   1m 37.219s
12. Hulkenberg    Force India   1m 37.504s
13. Grosjean    Lotus    1m 37.563s
14. Massa        Williams   1m 37.700s
15. Perez        Force India   1m 37.786s
16. Maldonado    Lotus    1m 37.798s
17. Sutil       Sauber    1m 38.010s
18. Gutierrez     Sauber-Ferrari    1m 38.365s
19. Ericsson    Caterham   1m 39.069s
20. Bianchi        Marussia   1m 39.306s
21. Chilton        Marussia   1m 39.333s
22. Kobayashi        Caterham   1m 42.760s

It looks like Mercs have a second in hand again.  They also enjoyed a pretty much glitch-free day.

Kimi was quicker in the end, over Alonso, which was pleasant to see.

Williams looks to be in good form - not sure what was going on with Massa though.

Button, who has said that this is his favorite circuit, was complaining a lot about handling; however, since he was right behind the Williams at the end of the day, I am not sure how much one can put into his issues.  ;)

The second session had two red flags, one right at the end, which didn't appear to come while anyone was on a hot lap.

Three or four teams had problems today that limited their laps.

Typhoon is moving in and so there is a question about qualifying and racing.  There is even something of a rumor of the race being run on Saturday afternoon, or Sunday morning.  The reason is that if the storm hits, the airports could be shut down for a day or two.  This would create huge problems for the Russian GP only a week later because of the logistics of moving the circus thousands of miles away and getting the "tents" erected in time for it all.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
The threat from the typhoon disrupting the race looks to be receding.  It could cause problems with packing up and flying to Russia though.

Suzuka is a quality race track.  Sanitised in places (e.g. turn one and Spoon), but still very challenging in others (Degner 1 and 2, and the last corner in particular).  Lots of accidents today in practice two.  There often are at this track.  This is how it should be.  If you go off the track, there should be a penalty.

Mercedes should have another 1-2, reliability permitting.  It will be interesting to see who will finish third though.  Williams look strong.  Red Bull will be fast as well.  I'm not whether Ferrari or McLaren will have the pace to beat either of them.  I'm looking forward to finding out.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
Holy crap  :o  Vettel, Alonso . . .
I am more than certain that this will be a topic of its own so I will not continue that here.

Qualifying results:

1.  Rosberg       Mercedes   1m 32.506s
2.  Hamilton    Mercedes   1m 32.703s
3.  Bottas        Williams   1m 33.128s
4.  Massa        Williams   1m 33.527s
5.  Alonso        Ferrari    1m 33.740s
6.  Ricciardo    Red Bull   1m 34.075s
7.  Magnussen    McLaren   1m 34.242s
8.  Button        McLaren   1m 34.317s
9.  Vettel       Red Bull   1m 34.432s
10. Raikkonen    Ferrari    1m 34.548s
11. Vergne        Toro Rosso   1m 34.984s
12. Perez        Force India   1m 35.089s
13. Kvyat        Toro Rosso   1m 35.092s
14. Hulkenberg    Force India   1m 35.099s
15. Sutil       Sauber    1m 35.364s
16. Gutierrez    Sauber    1m 35.681s
17. Maldonado    Lotus    1m 35.917s
18. Grosjean    Lotus    1m 35.984s
19. Ericsson    Caterham   1m 36.813s
20. Bianchi        Marussia   1m 36.943s
21. Kobayashi    Caterham   1m 37.015s
22. Chilton        Marussia   1m 37.481s

The results were somewhat predictable; although, Williams seems to once again have found a bit extra that was not totally apparent during the practice sessions.  They are becoming known somewhat for sandbagging.  It does appear that a gap from P-10 back will make it fairly unlikely that anyone outside the top ten will be able to claw their way into the points, barring some issue with those inside the top ten.  There should however be some good racing between the Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull cars.

Rain could of course change things, and rain looks more than likely.  In fact, the rain that is due to begin soon there in Japan could even impact the race in Russia, just one week away. 

There was some discussion; however, not too awfully much, about some of the teams such as Force-India, Sauber, Toro-Roso and even McLaren running a qualifying set up that is adjusted for the predicted rain, thus gaining advantage in the race.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:37:19 PM »
The article I read also said Ricciardo and Vettel are both on rain setups

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
I almost forgot this little tid-bit.
David Hobbs, who is without question on top of the sport, having been in the driver's seat for a number of years, said something during one point in qualifying that I had not considered.

I guess it is probably in the rules, though I have not looked, that if the race was to be cancelled due to the typhoon, WDC and WCC points would be awarded based upon grid position.

I racked my brain searching for a memory of a race when this occurred and was unsuccessful - can't recall one.  Has it ever happened, and is that what the rules state?

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
I almost forgot this little tid-bit.
David Hobbs, who is without question on top of the sport, having been in the driver's seat for a number of years, said something during one point in qualifying that I had not considered.

I guess it is probably in the rules, though I have not looked, that if the race was to be cancelled due to the typhoon, WDC and WCC points would be awarded based upon grid position.

I racked my brain searching for a memory of a race when this occurred and was unsuccessful - can't recall one.  Has it ever happened, and is that what the rules state?

All I know is that if a race is called before half distance, half points are awarded based on the last completed lap before the red flag.

I suppose if a race is cancelled after qualifying, the half points would be awarded based on grid positions.

I can't say that I know of a race in a major series being cancelled due to weather after qualifying.  Plenty postponements in NASCAR and Indycar, but they can afford to wait a day to race.  Not sure that F1 could race on Monday in Japan and make it to Russia for Thursday

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Fairly boring race.
I never like starting under the SC  :nono:

There was only the slightest of interest in watching the Merc battle.
Too bad for Massa that Bottas got ahead on the pit stops since they were evenly matched it seemed otherwise.
Too bad too for Ferrari with Alonso out and Kimi not getting even a single point - that final pit stop of his was a disaster.
Sad for Sauber, not that they were on top of things exactly, but . .

I did enjoy Ricciardo's overtaking moves in the esses.  Too bad Vettel got him today.

Prayers over Bianchi - sort of puts a blanket on the whole day for me.  I know it is/will be discussed in other threads, but I don't know why the SC was not out before the heavy equipment.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
I hadn't even realized the race had started until I saw it was lap 2  :-[

Once things got going, I thought it had some really good moments, like the RBR's making passes where passes shouldn't be made.  Really disappointed with Ferrari as well. 

For me the race ended as it started, in confusion.  When I saw the size of the tractor they used to go out to retrieve Sutil's car, I thought that it was a bit overkill to get a puny F1 car.  I've seen much smaller crane trucks used, but maybe they aren't very practical in gravelled areas.  That is not to say that the crash would have been any less severe, but really, that was a massive loader.  I bet they rent those things to move the barricades around pre and post race, and double duty them for the race.  I hope that's the last we see of that kind of tractor on the track.

Sutil has said the darkening skies could have been a factor...I think the skies get dark when a storm is rolling in, regardless of the time of day.  Hosting the race earlier in the day would lose a huge chunk of the European audience, so if is really too late in the day, they will have to explore lighting.

I hope Bianchi is going to be OK.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
Hamilton's move on Rosberg was very good, but all in all this was a very bad event.  They should have started the race earlier to avoid the bad weather and impending darkness.  I've got nothing against racing in the rain, but experience of very wet Grand Prix at Suzuka (remember when Brundle's McLaren hit a marshal at the 1994 event held in similar conditions?) should have told them that bringing the start forward to avoid the worst of the weather would have been sensible.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle