collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 159
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11272 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2016 F1 'Clash of Titans', Alonso to head new Audi challenge to Merc?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:15:27 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: 2016 F1 'Clash of Titans', Alonso to head new Audi challenge to Merc?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
I wondered how long VW Group would support two competing endurance racing teams. Porsche does seem to be the more natural fit for that series. I just wonder how Audi will fit in with F1's more restrictive and arguably lower tech rules than LMP1.  It seems to go against Audi's high tech image.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
Audi answers?You never know what the
truth is when it comes to F1......guess it's the
Bernie equation

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9537299/Audi-deny-F1-interest
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
I would love to see VW enter F1 as they do have the pockets for it being the largest car manufacturer on Earth.
Under the AUDI flag they would have a great name with a solid affordable road car connection unlike Ferrari.
With Toyota and Honda out of F1 there is not a brand marquis other then Merc that fans can cheer for and then walk to and drive home in.
People want to feel a part of something and without a team racing in a car that has the same name on it that the fan sees each day on his steering wheel, he can't really get connected.

Offline cosworth151

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
I would love to see Audi come into F1 although I have to admit, I do not understand why any Manufacturer wants to splash hundreds of millions of dollars into single-seater or prototype motor sport (I am very grateful that they do, but I don't understand).
Clearly I recognise the global TV coverage and of course I understand brand endorsement but just how many people buy a Mercedes because they are in F1, or select an Audi A3 because Audi competed in LeMans?
Having no such involvement doesn't seem to impair BMW.
Part of me wonders if F1 would actually be better if it was operated by race teams using bespoke race chassis and bespoke race engines possibly from a single supplier.
A friend of mine argues a different logic, he thinks F1 cars should use engines only from production cars with limited modifications allowed.
I just hope some successful formula can be found to save F1 because at the moment I can see the business resulting in a race series with only 15 cars from just 5 teams.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
The mantra for decades has been, "win on Sunday, sell on Monday."
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
I understand the mantra when what wins on Sunday looks like what you buy on Monday.
It has worked for Motorcycles for years, and for any level of touring cars and other Silhouette race cars.
Manufacturers involvement in drag racing saw funny cars and pro-modified cars modelled on the latest cars available in the showrooms.
But how does that work for F1 or prototypes? I'm sure some slick suited marketing guy could make a case but I would bet that if Mercedes took the $500million out of F1 their profits would increase by about $450million!!! However, I really hope they do not try to find out!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
I understand the mantra when what wins on Sunday looks like what you buy on Monday.
It has worked for Motorcycles for years, and for any level of touring cars and other Silhouette race cars.
Manufacturers involvement in drag racing saw funny cars and pro-modified cars modelled on the latest cars available in the showrooms.
But how does that work for F1 or prototypes? I'm sure some slick suited marketing guy could make a case but I would bet that if Mercedes took the $500million out of F1 their profits would increase by about $450million!!! However, I really hope they do not try to find out!

Much of the new research indicates that people actually research the cars they buy. They read reviews, analyse price points for features they like.  Compare safety records, theft reports, efficiency estimates. 

The number of people who buy a car because they saw it win a race is dropping quickly.

However, this is true in American car shopping.  I can't speak for the 'emerging markets' that both F1 and Mercedes (amongst others) are aiming for. 

We all know that Ferrari's cachet is largely based on their history in sports.  If Mercedes (or others) wants that sort of cachet, it's going to take decades to build.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
The number of people who buy a car because they saw it win a race is dropping quickly.

That's what the clique of non-car execs at Ford seem to think. They don't explain why, every time FoMoCo cuts back on racing, their sales drop.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle