collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 488
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: the day F1 crashed  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Dare

the day F1 crashed
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:36:47 AM »
When are powers to be gonna wise up?After the
barn doors are closed

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/the-day-the-f1-pyramid-scheme-crashed-a-rant

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: the day F1 crashed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:42:50 AM »
He sums it up pretty well.  :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
All true. The sad thing is, F1 has even more problems than he lists.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
I agree with everything in that article - F1 is in trouble.

I forgot myself then and went into a long rant - *deleted*

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:21 PM »
Yes, I agree with nearly everything that he has said too.  Formula 1 is in a mess, and if we don't get a proper grid, and more sensible rules soon, I may give up on it.  I never thought I'd type that.

The Russian Grand Prix is, in particular, the prime example of everything that is wrong with Formula 1.  I still feel as though it was like watching a Bond film.  It was surreal, and so utterly lifeless.  Formula 1 has no business there.  Ecclestone's pockets are the only thing which benefits from racing at Sochi.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 01:23:05 AM »

The Russian Grand Prix is, in particular, the prime example of everything that is wrong with Formula 1.  I still feel as though it was like watching a Bond film.  It was surreal, and so utterly lifeless.  Formula 1 has no business there.  Ecclestone's pockets are the only thing which benefits from racing at Sochi.

Of all the points made in the Road and Track article I find the assertion that the Russian GP is so wrong quite distasteful, they appear to just be pandering to their US base audience with such a view rather than being objective.

To my mind the lifeless feel to the Sochi race was down to a combination of the ultra safe tyre choice and the fuel/engine save strategy from a large number of the teams at this point in the season, rather than an inherently bad track.

The new spec long-life engine regs are really starting to bite, most teams have given up on even trying for a race win and are settling for minor place points to steady their championship position.

Where oh where are the push to the limit team principals now; Colin or Enzo would be ashamed of the current crop.
I still cannot believe that this year the great Williams team appear happy whilst they admit targeting 3rd place in most races this year.  :o 

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:35:03 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:06:05 AM »
Colin was infamous for short fueling the cars to save weight. He preferred to run out of gas while leading rather than be second.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
Of all the points made in the Road and Track article I find the assertion that the Russian GP is so wrong quite distasteful, they appear to just be pandering to their US base audience with such a view rather than being objective.

To my mind the lifeless feel to the Sochi race was down to a combination of the ultra safe tyre choice and the fuel/engine save strategy from a large number of the teams at this point in the season, rather than an inherently bad track.

All he said about the track was that it was pointless.  If you think the propaganda comment was to pander to the American audience, then you weren't watching the same broadcast I was, because starting with the pre-race 'stand at attention' to the multiple shots of Putin, to the podium ceremony with Boris 'you like it here, no?  Ees a ferry beautiful place, no?' whatshisname, it was simply an exercise in propaganda.   I can't think of another F1 race where they spend any time DURING THE RACE showing any kind of dignitary from the host country...maybe if Putin had shown up on time instead of 15 laps into the race they could have shown him doing the pit lane or something.  Really, that is not pandering to Americans, or British (who quite frankly are at least as anti-Russian as Americans), but simply telling it like it is.

The race was crap...call it because of the fuel, the track, the  tires, doesn't matter why.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:19:16 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
Where oh where are the push to the limit team principals now; Colin or Enzo would be ashamed of the current crop.

Almost every push-the-limits innovations that teams have tried for the past decade or so has been immediately banned by the FIA.

they appear to just be pandering to their US base audience with such a view rather than being objective.

The odd thing about that is that, while I was watching the Sochi race, there was one good thing I could say about it: At least it isn't COTA!  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
I'm very sensitive to pro-US bias John (I'm neither a fan of the US nor Russia), and like Scott, I didn't see any of that there.  Had the circuit been good, had Ecclestone not been paid 31 million by Putin to stage the event, and had the race been remotely interesting, he would probably not have said all those things.  None of that is the case though.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle