collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 593
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Helmet Livery Changes Out for 2015  (Read 5494 times)

Offline Scott

Re: F1 Helmet Livery Changes Out for 2015
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »
Its easy, each drivers helmet has to be painted as a replica of themselves with stick on hair so it will look like a bloke with a big head is driving the car. Entertaining and practical!  :yahoo:

Wouldn't that be hilarious   :DD :DD :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Its easy, each drivers helmet has to be painted as a replica of themselves with stick on hair so it will look like a bloke with a big head is driving the car. Entertaining and practical!  :yahoo:

Wouldn't that be hilarious   :DD :DD :DD :DD

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Yeah real fun, I can go with that as well.   :good:

Might need a fine mesh on the airboxes above their heads though
or all driver contracts will stipulate a No 1 razor cut.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »
As I'm typing this, I'm looking at a photo in the Gallery box at the left of the screen. I took the photo in the Museum at The Speedway. It's the memorial helmet that Ralf Schumacher wore in the 2001 U.S.G.P. That race was held just weeks after the 9/11 attacks. I'm reminded that such fine things would be banned under the new edict.

They could still make exceptions for tributes and expressions of support like that.  What the rule is designed to prevent is frequent helmet livery changes which have made rather a mockery of the flexibility which was previously allowed.  The drivers only have themselves to blame really.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 03:16:24 AM »
As I'm typing this, I'm looking at a photo in the Gallery box at the left of the screen. I took the photo in the Museum at The Speedway. It's the memorial helmet that Ralf Schumacher wore in the 2001 U.S.G.P. That race was held just weeks after the 9/11 attacks. I'm reminded that such fine things would be banned under the new edict.

They could still make exceptions for tributes and expressions of support like that.  What the rule is designed to prevent is frequent helmet livery changes which have made rather a mockery of the flexibility which was previously allowed.  The drivers only have themselves to blame really.

There isn't some grand tradition of helmets in F1 dating back to Fangio or anything.  As far as I know, Jackie Stewart was one of the first drivers to have a 'distinctive' helmet.

Even amongst modern helmets, the only one I ever noticed was Hamilton's, with the famous story behind adopting yellow to be visible during his karting days. 

I assume the unwritten rule about keeping the same helmet design was mostly associated with economic issues.  Helmets were expensive, as was a professional paint job.  A driver might use the same helmet for years.  Now, with safety being such a huge part of F1, I'm not surprised if drivers use a fresh helmet every race.  There's no reason to keep the same design if it's not the same helmet.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:11 AM »

I assume the unwritten rule about keeping the same helmet design was mostly associated with economic issues.  Helmets were expensive, as was a professional paint job.  A driver might use the same helmet for years.  Now, with safety being such a huge part of F1, I'm not surprised if drivers use a fresh helmet every race.  There's no reason to keep the same design if it's not the same helmet.

Not sure it was just about money in the earlier years Jeri, I think it was more about personal identity, oh and possibly superstition in some cases - lucky pants or socks scenario.

I'm sure some drivers realised that most of the spectators weren't, and possibly still are not, clued up on the numbers of the cars in a race. For you to build a following you need to be easily identifiable and that's just what a fixed design or colour of helmet will bring.

The younger modern World seems to be in love with multiple choice on all occasions, the cost of this is nothing really stands out anymore - unless you become more and more outrageous or ruder.   :(

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
If a driver put a nude on the top of his helmet and then couldn't change it, does that mean the broadcasters couldn't use his in car all season?

:DntKnw:     :fool:
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
If a driver put a nude on the top of his helmet and then couldn't change it, does that mean the broadcasters couldn't use his in car all season?

:DntKnw:     :fool:

:DD :DD :DD

Nah, they should just make him paint it out and have the skin tone of the offending picture, pink, brown, olive or whatever all over the lid.  ;)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »
It costs only a little less to paint one design on 20-30 helmets (the amount F1 drivers generally have, due to so many being used by their teams for PR) as it does to have a different design on each one. The lack of separate designs in the olden days was more because the linen caps used in the early 1950s weren't intended for identification so much as to keep the wind out of drivers' hair. After all, drivers' faces were generally clue enough among the well-educated crowd who were the ones to worry about such things.

It was only when helmets became more enclosing (which was basically the Stewart era, hence he was one of the first to do it) that an alternative means of ID was needed. Race numbers weren't even associated with a driver for a whole season in some cases (let alone a F1 career as now), national colour codes and sponsors made it difficult to get namespace on the cars, and roll hoops weren't identified by colour, so the helmet was literally the only route available for identification. That was how this began.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle