collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 602
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Top Gear on Hold  (Read 29905 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Top Gear on Hold
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »
If May and Hammond go, and they team up with Clarkson on another channel doing a similar show, I doubt they will be able to imitate it, and it certainly won't have the worldwide reach that the BBC have.

I saw the interview with May on his doorstep yesterday, and I'm a little surprised he seems to be supporting Clarkson no matter what.  Everyone has some interesting choices to make over these next few weeks...especially with contract renewals looming for Hammond and May.

On the other hand, whatever the BBC do with TG now will mean that a year from now people will either be saying 'Why did they wait so long to boot him?' or have moved on to another show or interest, and TG would have completed its run.  I'm hoping for the first option.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
I think (hope) that Hammond & May will choose not to go down with Clarkson's sinking ship & stay with the show. If the BBC chooses wisely the show will be much stronger. I, for one, will return to watch the show on a regular basis. I finally gave up when Clarkson's constant bullying, bigotry and bombast became too much to bear.

One other thought: I wonder what the BBC would do if Clarkson goes the standard celeb route. What if he gives a big, public mea culpa and heads off for a few months in rehab? It's saved the careers of many other out-of-control celebs.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
I watched maybe 5-6 episodes in the past two years, mainly because I started to find it repetitive, and was tired of the three of them laughing at their own jokes that rarely made me chuckle.  The studio taped sections were really a challenge to sit through, and the interviews were complete fluff.

That said, I generally enjoyed their pieces where they would build or drive something ridiculous.  The road trips were good fun, and I really enjoyed the short movies when they would test a new car, but I put my enjoyment of those down mostly to the production quality (for which I compliment the BBC, not Clarkson), not the commentary.

Personally, I wouldn't give Clarkson another 2nd or 3rd, or whatever number of chances he was already given.  Alcohol is not his only problem. 

Offline Irisado

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
The right decision has been taken.  Clarkson has only himself to blame.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »
So that's it Clarkson will not have his contract renewed and Top Gear will be revamped for 2016 but can it survive without Clarkson?
It'll not be the same and the cult following has built up over many years and I doubt JC will be unemployed for long as if he can make the BBC £50 million per annum then others will want a bite of that cherry.
What about Hammond and May will they jump ship too?
Lots of questions but I have to say that he had to go for attacking a colleague nobody can be above that.

The Clarkson era of Top Gear happened because the BBC decided the show needed a huge revamp (for quite different reasons).

I would not be surprised if they replaced the entire presenter line-up along with giving it a different "mission statement" (probably less sophomoric humour and more of whatever the BBC thinks is the next thing in motoring entertainment), but continued to use James May and Richard Hammond for presenting other shows.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
I think both Hammond (various documentaries and short series) and May (mostly science shows) are involved with other shows on BBC.  If they both choose to follow Clarkson, they will be giving up more than their Top Gear gig, and I wonder if they are so vital to whatever Clarkson ends up doing anyhow.  If I was either of them, I would wait until I had an inked contract in hand before leaving the BBC.

Rumours are that Netflix are offering an uncensored version of Top Gear for Clarkson to host.  I'm sure all the car makers will be jumping all over that - a chance for Clarkson to not only insult their cars, but do it with expletives.   :fool: :fool:

Offline Ian

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
You don't need expletives, that would ruin it, a good biting sense of humour, now that's different.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
The way the BBC did it, I don't think there was a whole lot they censored! Certainly they got away with more than most teatime TV shows.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Top Gear may be done. The BBC has seemingly begun to tear down the set.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115032791257/bbc-starts-dismantling-top-gear-studio-oisin-tymon
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2015, 01:06:40 AM »
Surely they would have dismantled the set after each series?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
There would be no point in starting the next season with the same set anyway.  If they change the presenter, they will certainly change the set.  The Top Gear set is pretty basic stuff, mostly lights and banners along with the lounge area. 

Offline Ian

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »
Out of all the names being bandied around in the press to possibly front a new series of Top Gear the only one that I like is Guy Martin. The only drawback to Guy that I can see is his Lincolnshire accent, might be a bit difficult to understand if you're not English(British.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:04:05 AM by Ian »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »
The only drawback to Guy that I can see is his Lincolnshire accent, might be a bit difficult to understand if you're not English(British.)

You got that right.  When I saw his name bandied around, I went to look him up on Youtube and I honestly couldn't understand ONE WORD that he said in an interview.  I couldn't watch the show if he was on it unless he has learned to tone down his accent.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
The only drawback to Guy that I can see is his Lincolnshire accent, might be a bit difficult to understand if you're not English(British.)

You got that right.  When I saw his name bandied around, I went to look him up on Youtube and I honestly couldn't understand ONE WORD that he said in an interview.  I couldn't watch the show if he was on it unless he has learned to tone down his accent.

Guy speaks very highly of you too Scott.  :tease: 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
No seriously John.  Not a word.  I understood everything the interviewer said, but Guy could have been speaking Finnish for all I knew.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle