collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 430
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Season openner - Australia 2015  (Read 4471 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Season openner - Australia 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
I don't think Merc gets enough credit for the chassis of the last 2 seasons. After all several teams are using the engine and none can beat Merc.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »
I don't think Merc gets enough credit for the chassis of the last 2 seasons. After all several teams are using the engine and none can beat Merc.

The suggestion seems to be that Merc customer engines are not quite up to the factory cars spec. There could be two reasons for this in IMO :-

[1] they are making sure customer teams have a really hard job beating them. After all it's rather embarrassing for the factory team to explain to public corporation boards why they should invest huge sums to benefit third parties.

or, and this is I believe the more likely:-

[2] The factory team takes more chances with the engines they run with more extreme versions of developments. The customers have an expensive contract with Merc for the supply of power units, but who pays if they need to use a 5th or 6th engine?
Even if it's Merc taking the hit it's still a cost no one wants and could impact on the cost of engines in future years.
Merc may be trading reliability against the latest, but risky, spec to ensure the engine contract prices stay within a manageable range.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:11:36 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 03:27:32 AM »

The suggestion seems to be that Merc customer engines are not quite up to the factory cars spec. There could be two reasons for this in IMO :-

[1] they are making sure customer teams have a really hard job beating them. After all it's rather embarrassing for the factory team to explain to public corporation boards why they should invest huge sums to benefit third parties.

[2] The factory team takes more chances with the engines they run with more extreme versions of developments. The customers have an expensive contract with Merc for the supply of power units, but who pays if they need to use a 5th or 6th engine?
Even if it's Merc taking the hit it's still a cost no one wants and could impact on the cost of engines in future years.
Merc may be trading reliability against the latest, but risky, spec to ensure the engine contract prices stay within a manageable range.

I would easily believe either scenario.  I'd suggest engine suppliers not be allowed to also be teams, but obviously we can't lose Ferrari's long history of doing just that.

Perhaps the simple fix is that engines must be shipped separate from cars, and distributed to teams by the FIA at random.  That is, Mercedes (and Ferrari) brings enough engines for everyone, but they don't know which ones they get until the FIA opens the crate.

This means that anyone with a supplier engine gets a fair supplier engine.  Certainly once the crate is opened, the owning team is free to do whatever the FIA allows.  Mercedes would still have the advantage of knowing the engine better than customers, but they wouldn't be able to factory build a better 'standard' engine for themselves.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »
That is a rather interesting concept.  I like the idea of it, but in theory, I'm not sure how well it would work.  It would mean some unusually long hours for the mechanics and techies because they would have to get the power unit installed and tested at the track, rather than before shipping - probably days before.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »

The regulations only allow engine manufacturers to homologate one engine per year, so #1 is impossible. #2, on the other hand, is very plausible because nearly all Mercedes engine failures have been on Mercedes cars, and the smallest number have been on the Force Indias (which have been the most cautious of the Mercedes-powered squads thus far).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 12:46:02 AM »

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to get Arnold up there to interview the drivers.  We were sure Jackie was there for that...why else was he even on stage?  I don't even think Arnie knew Rosberg's name.

I read a theory that Bernie is looking into bringing a race back to California, and is trying to involve Arnold in the efforts to make the Long Beach Grand Prix (currently an IndyCar race until 2018) back into an F1 race.

I don't see it happening.  Long Beach long ago realized that F1 fees were too expensive, which is why they quit.  I can't imagine that the fees have gone down since the 80s.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »
Never underestimate Bernie's ability to do a deal.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
Only one engine can be homologated per year, so the only way Mercedes could be giving the customer teams something that wasn't the same as the current works team engine is if they were giving out 2014 units. Had that been the case, we'd have noticed they were rather slower than they are...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle