collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 610
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Piston flaw wrecking Renault F1 engines  (Read 4219 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Piston flaw wrecking Renault F1 engines
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
No solution in sight for 6 weeks. - Crikey! :swoon:                                 

A fault with the piston design of Renault’s 2015 power unit has been identified, according to the French broadcaster Canal Plus but the bad news for Red Bull and Toro Rosso there is no quick fix to the problem.

Problems across both Renault-powered teams marred the French marque’s weekend in China last weekend, after which Cyril Abiteboul said he hoped a fix could be identified and put in place in time for Bahrain, despite the turnaround of mere days.

But the latest news is alarming, as Canal Plus reports that the issue is in fact a fundamental flaw with the actual piston. Abiteboul is quoted as saying there can be “no solution within the next six weeks”.

Courtesy Grandprix247.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Piston flaw wrecking Renault F1 engines
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
Wow! That seems like an awfully long turn around time if they have already identified the problem. If Renault isn't capable doing it in house, they could certainly get a quicker response from an outside supplier.

When I was racing, I recall we used a firm in Northampton.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
Ouch.   Considering what I know about cylinder manufacture (nothing), 6 weeks does seem pretty slow.  Isn't it kind of a 'Stop The Presses' kind of moment at Renault?  I hope Cyril is just giving the worst case scenario and they will actually be ready in 3.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »
A few thoughts. 
1)  With the engine freeze, are they allowed to make this fix?

2)  The delay might simply be related to manufacturing.  F1 is supposed to be cutting costs, so if Renault has the parts/engines built already, how much will it cost to tear down and rebuild?  Who fits this bill?

3)  With the number of engines RBR/STR are tearing through, they need some units to last, or they're going to be spending the last half of the season starting behind Manor.

4)  How nationalistic is Canal plus?  Would they take a line of BS from Renault and run it as truth to keep the German and Italian engine suppliers off balance?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »

This falls under the rule that allows changes for reliability, with engines exploding right left and centre I can't see another team or the FIA challenging it.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 06:29:19 PM »
Hope Alia will check me on this, but I believe they can fix reliability issues with no penalty. And an F1 level piston is a trickier bit than a small block Chevy item. Six weeks to design, manufacture, test and install a piece is not out of line, though I agree he is probably giving a worst case estimate.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »
Hope Alia will check me on this, but I believe they can fix reliability issues with no penalty. And an F1 level piston is a trickier bit than a small block Chevy item. Six weeks to design, manufacture, test and install a piece is not out of line, though I agree he is probably giving a worst case estimate.

Especially considering the 'he said/she said' about RBR forcing Renault to implement new designs without a propre test.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
A few thoughts. 

2)  The delay might simply be related to manufacturing.  F1 is supposed to be cutting costs, so if Renault has the parts/engines built already, how much will it cost to tear down and rebuild?  Who fits this bill?

3)  With the number of engines RBR/STR are tearing through, they need some units to last, or they're going to be spending the last half of the season starting behind Manor.

4)  How nationalistic is Canal plus?  Would they take a line of BS from Renault and run it as truth to keep the German and Italian engine suppliers off balance?

1) Renault has upgrade points left, so not only can it change the piston (for free under reliability rules), it can also make the piston more effective (at the cost of points, unless it's already turned in an upgraded piston, in which case this is also free). If Renault upgrading the piston caused this problem, the 6 weeks may be to make a better piston and not just a more reliable one.

2) It will cost some to rebuild. But not as much as it would for a manufacturer like Honda as Renault has F1 gear in the sort of quantities a manufacturer expecting to do mid-season upgrades at the drop of a hat would use.

3) I expect a lot of races where RBR and STR are the back two rows of the grid... ...but for them not to stay there long in races.

4) Canal Plus is pretty nationalistic but not really known for deliberately manipulating other teams. On the other hand, being excessively pro-Renault, to the point of inadvertent inaccuracy, to please its (French) audience is entirely possible.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle