collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 268
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Max penalised  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Dare

Max penalised
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
It looked to me that Grosjean braked a lot to early too.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667788/51267/Max-penalised-but-blames-Grosjean

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline J.Clark

Re: Max penalised
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »
I too thought Roman hit the brakes early.

Closing speed for Max was incredible though so I am not sure what he would have done once along-side of the Lotus.  I don't think he could have made the turn.  Perhaps that is what the stewards are basing their decision on.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
It did look like Grosjean braked harder going by the closing speed, but I dare say the stewards will have access to all necessary data, having said that I'm not convinced their decisions are consistent.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 12:58:22 PM »
I couldn't agree more with that statement on their consistency.

I don't recall hearing them say who the driver steward was to be.  Who was it for Monaco?

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
I couldn't agree more with that statement on their consistency.

I don't recall hearing them say who the driver steward was to be.  Who was it for Monaco?

Tom Kristensen.Kimi wasn't happy with the
ruling either
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 01:43:40 PM »
I didn't see Max V do anything other than race. He and Grosjean were racing for the last points paying position. If anything, Grosjean brake tested him. As we say over here,"It was just one of them racin' deals."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
With all due respect to Tom Kristensen, he is (I think) a Le Mans champion and I find it interesting that the guest steward would not be a Formula 1 driver, or at least someone who has raced in open-wheel cars.  I know it probably isn't always the case, and I don't pay very close attention to who the guest steward is at each race, but things one can do "safely" in cars with fenders is very different than in cars without fenders.

I have to wonder . . .

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
Romain's car sounded slightly off to me - I thought he had a technical issue and that may have caused the surprisingly early braking that lap compared to earlier ones. It caught Verstappen totally off-guard and caused him to try a pass that was never on.

Neither drove that part of the race perfectly but I don't think either driver was the true cause. And I'm not sure taking a tin-opener to the barrier quite deserves a 5-place penalty!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
With all due respect to Tom Kristensen, he is (I think) a Le Mans champion and I find it interesting that the guest steward would not be a Formula 1 driver, or at least someone who has raced in open-wheel cars.  I know it probably isn't always the case, and I don't pay very close attention to who the guest steward is at each race, but things one can do "safely" in cars with fenders is very different than in cars without fenders.

I have to wonder . . .

An LMP1 doing that (in terms of speed and angle, anyway) would have been at an odd angle and perched on the barrier, as Tom discovered at Le Mans 2011.

The problem for me was more that Max tried a pass that wasn't on, but even then, it didn't seem like a bad move until the sparks flew into the air...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:42 AM »
Three ex-F1 drivers on Sky thought it was Max and who knows what car issues Grosjean was having at that time and he was breaking to take the bend and I'm not so sure Max was.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
The accident was completely Verstappen's fault. His closing speed was far too high and he would never have made the corner. The data was checked and Grosjean had not braked particularly early or hard considering the condition of his tyres.
However, I do think the penalty was too harsh for the crime. Verstappen could not finish the race. Surely this was punishment enough?

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
Having watched replays, it is true that he would not have made the corner. 

He did claim to not be attempting a pass though.  He couldn't get position for that, but he did appear to be attempting to get into position.

I think the problem is more that he is, after all, 17 years old and very light in the experience category, not to mention zero experience with Monaco.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
Having watched replays, it is true that he would not have made the corner. 

He did claim to not be attempting a pass though.  He couldn't get position for that, but he did appear to be attempting to get into position.

I think the problem is more that he is, after all, 17 years old and very light in the experience category, not to mention zero experience with Monaco.

Maybe a simple qualification for a super liscence is to have running time at F1 tracks in a lower formula?

Except for brand new circuits, you're not allowed to race an F1 car at a track you haven't raced at before.  So Max would be elligible to race at other circuits, but not Monaco

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
I don't think he should have gotten a penalty.  As it has been said, having the front corner of your car torn off is penalty enough. 

If Grosjean did anything, he did it right.  Racing 101 says if you have someone right on your tail who will likely try to pass on the next straight, slow a bit more than usual for the apex so the other driver cannot anticipate the same apex and get a jump on the next straight.

It was a racing move by Grosjean and a racing mistake by Max for expecting Grosjean to be predictable.

Jes racin'
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
Lotus is claiming there is data showing that Grosjean actually braked 5m later than the previous lap.  And apparently that is why Grosjean doesn't have a penalty next race.

http://www.pitpass.com/53969/Permane-dismisses-brake-test-claims

I still don't get why Ricciardo got away with his punt of Kimi.  All he could manage to do was tuck his front wheel under Kimi's rear.  How many hundred penalties have we seen given for exactly that?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:12:14 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle