collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russian GP  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Russian GP
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »
Ban the blue flags, they are supposed to be the best so overtaking back markers with out help would make it more interesting.

I'd be worried about lower position 'technical partner' teams holding up other drivers strategically.  Imagine if Vettel and Hamilton are racing for the championship, and the Manor cars let Hamilton through while making 2 very difficult laps for Vettel?

The one move rule would still apply, if someone in a Manor started playing defensive, they would get penalized.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
Cool temps might mix things up a bit, too. I just checked a forecast:

Friday: 65 - 50 F (18-10 C) Chance of rain
Sat: 62 - 49 F (17-10 C) Sunny
Sun: 68 - 55 F (20-13C) Partly cloudy
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:15:54 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
It would be very obvious by telemetry,  and from TV footage if a driver was holding someone up, and either the driver or team would face sanctions.
Surely all drivers on the grid are professional enough to race. Should it hold up a driver and bunch up the field all well and good. If a driver makes a mistake and ends up with a damaged wing or puncture then we would have mixed up podiums. I would not like to see a bad crash but the drivers pass when they can, passing back markers would be no different.

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
It would be very obvious by telemetry,  and from TV footage if a driver was holding someone up, and either the driver or team would face sanctions.
Surely all drivers on the grid are professional enough to race. Should it hold up a driver and bunch up the field all well and good. If a driver makes a mistake and ends up with a damaged wing or puncture then we would have mixed up podiums. I would not like to see a bad crash but the drivers pass when they can, passing back markers would be no different.

I can't stand blue flags either.  Love to see them get rid of it.

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
I am watching FP2, right now. The reason I can also type is because very little is happening due to the rain. I can only hope it will also rain on Sunday. However, it mustn't rain too much because the race will be cancelled for being too dangerous (try telling that to BTCC drivers or MotoGP riders, etc.).
I have to disagree about blue flags. Changing that rule would just be another device to try to make this 'broken' series a little more interesting. The 'racing' should be taking place anyway and slow cars shouldn't interfere with faster cars.
I honestly believe it would be 'easy' to fix F1.
In the short term a handicapping system must be introduced. Add weight to the winners to drag them back to the rest of the pack. BTCC and other series have made this idea work. The best car/driver can still win but it will be more of a struggle and the other cars will be a lot closer.
In the longer term get better tyres that maintain grip for the whole stint (I am happy enough to still allow tyre changes but make sure the tyres provide the same performance until they 'die'. Also ensure there is a huge difference between the performance of the tyres - a short distance 'sprint' tyre and a longer distance endurance tyre). Dramatically reduce aero influence; insist on a minimum fuel weight (make sure the cars run at full power for the whole race); increase power (make the cars really difficult to drive); allow 4 engine upgrades per year; ban pit to car communication; demand drive through penalties for any excursion beyond track limits.
There are many, many other things we could all suggest (including dropping all Tilke Tracks but that won't happen!) but these basic changes would (in my opinion) improve racing. 
It is still raining and very little is happening  :fool:

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »
Watching on TV by the way - definitely would not go to Russia!
Alonso's brand new engine has a problem and he has been told to retire!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
I'm watching FP2 on NBCSN. Will Buxton is talking about the rumors in the Paddock. 1. STR will get Ferrari engines next season, 1 development back of what the factory team gets. 2. RBR is in talks with Renault for engines. 3. Dietrich Mateschitz might be the one who is trying to buy F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
8 cars on track and about the same amount of fans watching, dismal!!!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »
I'm watching FP2 on NBCSN. Will Buxton is talking about the rumors in the Paddock. 1. STR will get Ferrari engines next season, 1 development back of what the factory team gets. 2. RBR is in talks with Renault for engines. 3. Dietrich Mateschitz might be the one who is trying to buy F1.

I don't know enough about Dietrich Mateschitz  to say if he's the man to own F1 or not, but he has put more money into the sport than any individual (except perhaps some mid east royalty?)

I've already discussed my preferred owner in another thread.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
I ended up playing Skyrim while watching the practice session.  It was totally dull and and lifeless.  Obviously, the rain was to blame for a lot of this, but the track, I thought I must have dreamt that it was so bad last year.  This was not the case though.  It's as dire as I recall.

The drama is all off the track about Red Bull and their engine supply for 2016.  I'm really not sure that they are going to get their way on this.  Ecclestone says that everything is sorted, but it certainly doesn't look like it to me.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 04:50:56 PM »
Doesn't look good for Red Bull.

Ferrari has decided against becoming engine partner and they are still slaying Renault.  That leaves, well, Honda.  Bye Bye Red Bull. 

If nothing else it will give us plenty to discuss as the season winds down.

The Judge 13, one of John's weekly reads I think, are wading in with the following story.  They more than not turn out to be right, so it's worth a look.

http://thejudge13.com/2015/10/09/ferrari-refuse-to-supply-red-bull-with-2016-engine/

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Alonso 25 place grid penalty....yawn.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
3. Dietrich Mateschitz might be the one who is trying to buy F1.

So that's why he needs to get out of team ownership, definite conflict of interest. :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
Alonso 25 place grid penalty....yawn.

Yeah I'm annoyed too, but it's the commentators my ire is reserved for.  >:(  They know it simply means Nando will start at the back so really it's a 10 place drop at the most optimistic, but do they say that - nah  ::) .......... the plonkers.  :P
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
What the heck?  I just spotted a billboard from the helicopter view for 'Sochi Mini Golf'.  It was so distracting after being acclimatized to the usual Rolex, Pirelli, DHL etc signage.

Bernie will be livid.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle