collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 163
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pirelli says they can find 4 seconds a lap in 2017  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Scott

Pirelli says they can find 4 seconds a lap in 2017
« on: November 23, 2015, 04:36:55 PM »
My suggestion is to give those tires the back half of the grid and let the rest stay on the 2016 tires.  That would be fun. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121887

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Pirelli says they can find 4 seconds a lap in 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
I would LOVE to see a season of Formula Unlimited.

Any engine you want

Any tires you want

Just have a safety cell that passes inspection, otherwise, go crazy.

8 wheels?  Sure.

Ground effects?  Why not?

Inline 16 cylinder super charged engines running on the tears of baby seals?  Hell yeah.

I know it won't happen.  Large budgeted teams would crush the smaller outfits... oh wait, that already happens.  :DntKnw:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »
Yeah but just upping the speed with the same levels of areo will simply exacerbate the overtaking (or rather lack of it) problem.  :crazy:

This could just be Pirelli making headlines for publicity's sake, but it sounds more like Bernie and Todt putting the fix in to keep the peace between the top teams who seem somewhat opposed to throwing away all the complicated and expensive, although pointless, front end areo.  :lazy:

Lets get back to ground effect with very limited front wings, ......they might even be able to do away with DRS - now there's a thought.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
They could probably find 4 seconds a lap by not writing such complicated regulations that they messed up the explanation for.

I tried explaining this on my blog. Three revisions later, I'm still not sure I've got what they're doing in 2016 right!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
I know it won't happen.  Large budgeted teams would crush the smaller outfits... oh wait, that already happens.  :DntKnw:

All the midfield teams would just get crushed as well, leading to just Ferrari and Mercedes racing each other on otherwise empty grids.  That's a very good reason not follow the 'anything goes' concept.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
It is interesting that they are making this claim.
If in fact, they could do that, why haven't they done it already?

Am I understanding the tire selection by teams for 2016 will make it possible for one team to be running different compounds than another team?

I would like to see them bring compounds for all teams that are the same, but also that are not one step difference.  For example, if one compound is super soft, the other would have to medium or hard, but not soft.  I think this could play more toward strategy and tire management than what is happening currently.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
Am I understanding the tire selection by teams for 2016 will make it possible for one team to be running different compounds than another team?

Not only different teams, but different drivers. Note that these will have to be chosen from a range of 3 compounds for any given race (these need not be adjacent compounds if Pirelli decides to separate them). Whichever is the softest compound permitted must be used in Q3 by any team reaching that part of qualifying.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle