collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 575
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Youngest and oldest first F1 winners  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Youngest and oldest first F1 winners
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »
Good stuff, Dare. Interesting that 5 of the ten were since 2000, and Schumi just a few years before.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
The oldest lot seems to be due to the fact that in their youth there was no F1 racing..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
The oldest lot seems to be due to the fact that in their youth there was no F1 racing..

Fangia was 38 when he won his first....how many wuld he have
had if F1 was around in his 20's?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »

Fangia was 38 when he won his first....how many wuld he have
had if F1 was around in his 20's?
I am certain about the fact that an Italian chap called Tazio Nuvolari would have swept across all the title, and Fangio would have hard time to keep up with him. With all the due respect to Fangio, from stories I have read about Tazio, he was simply spectacularly brave, and been able to get the wins when nobody seemed to expect them to be his.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:51:55 AM by F1fanaticBD »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »
Fangio raced 7 full seasons in F1. He won 5 championships and finished 2nd the other 2 season. He was almost killed in a terrible crash at Monza in 1952 in which he broke his neck. He placed 2nd in the WDC the next year and won it the next 4 years in a row.

He still holds the F1 records for highest percentage of wins, 46% (24 out of 52) highest percentage of poles at 55.8% (29 of 52) highest percentage of front row starts at an amazing 92.31% (48 front row starts out of 52) and the oldest age for an F1 win at 46 years, 41 days.

He ran a full schedules of sports car races while he was running F1. During those years, he won 2 Sebring 12 Hour race and one Carrera Panamerica.

My favorite Fangio story deals with the 1957 Gran Primo de Cuba. He was kidnapped from his hotel by Castro's guerrillas. He managed to completely charm them into releasing him. The even remained friends with him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Fangio raced 7 full seasons in F1. He won 5 championships and finished 2nd the other 2 season. He was almost killed in a terrible crash at Monza in 1952 in which he broke his neck. He placed 2nd in the WDC the next year and won it the next 4 years in a row.

He still holds the F1 records for highest percentage of wins, 46% (24 out of 52) highest percentage of poles at 55.8% (29 of 52) highest percentage of front row starts at an amazing 92.31% (48 front row starts out of 52) and the oldest age for an F1 win at 46 years, 41 days.

He ran a full schedules of sports car races while he was running F1. During those years, he won 2 Sebring 12 Hour race and one Carrera Panamerica.

My favorite Fangio story deals with the 1957 Gran Primo de Cuba. He was kidnapped from his hotel by Castro's guerrillas. He managed to completely charm them into releasing him. The even remained friends with him.

So, I presume that when Fangio raced, all the writing of the day was about how a single team dominating the sport was going to kill all interest in it, right?

No?

Wonder why everyone feels that it is going to kill the sport now?

(And as an aside, surely racing Bahrain in 2016 is safer, and more socially responsible than a 50s race in Cuba!)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 04:58:15 AM »
Please do not think I am downplaying Fangio, he is among the greatest of all time without any doubt. Sterling Moss was so much in awe with this man that he could never think of besting this man, such was his reputation. I wanted to point out, that had F1 been introduced during Fangio's 20s, Tazio Nuvolari would have featured heavily in the history books. Unfortunately now whenever history comes up, it starts from Fangio, not before and only a few history buffs like me tends to know this guy, which in my opinion is a shame.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 01:42:38 PM »
I'm sorry if I upset you, BD. No offense meant. Nuvolari was one of the all time great drivers. The GP cars of his era were truly monsters to drive. Anybody who could master them as well as Nuvolari did is deserving of respect. It's just that I've just been a Fangio fan since I was very young, so I guess I do get a little fanatical about him.

BTW, when Nuvolari died in 1953, Fangio was one of his pallbearers, along with fellow F1 drivers Ascari & Villoresi.
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »
I'm sorry if I upset you, BD. No offense meant. Nuvolari was one of the all time great drivers. The GP cars of his era were truly monsters to drive. Anybody who could master them as well as Nuvolari did is deserving of respect. It's just that I've just been a Fangio fan since I was very young, so I guess I do get a little fanatical about him.

BTW, when Nuvolari died in 1953, Fangio was one of his pallbearers, along with fellow F1 drivers Ascari & Villoresi.

You cannot upset me even if you tried your best Cossie, because you such a nice fellow that I have the privilege of being a friend. :yahoo:
I was a little worried that you may get me wrong. And I exactly know how you feel about Fangio, because I have almost the same feeling about Senna. And if I was there at the time of Fangio, I am sure I would be riding the same wagon as yours. :D

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
We all have our favourites BD and sure Nuvolari was a pretty good driver in his era, however the record books do not show him succeeding anywhere near the level that Fangio achieved.

Tazio only won a single European championship in in the 30s, 1932 to be precise and that season was comprised of just 3 races. I'm sure he was amongst the class of the field in his era but it takes someone much more special to win multiple championships.

I grant you it's hard to compare drivers from different eras, but for me Fangio is still the Number 1 - closely followed by Jim Clark. The rest you can put in any order you like as long as Prost, JYS, and Shumi are in the top 5. ;)     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
To be totally fair part of Nuvolari's lack of success was due to his not being in a Mercedes or Auto Union. The other cars of the 30s were no match in performance for the Silver Arrows. As for your list John, I would agree, except Clark is first and I would put Senna in for Schumacher.   :D
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 08:15:52 PM »
I am not saying to put Tazio as the greatest, as did Mr. Ferdinand Porsche, I just like to see his name being mentioned when there is talk about the greats. All the names you said John, they have all been mentioned, in orders that varied from person to person, but how many people did you come across who would keep Tazio even in their consideration? That is where I just feel history has been harsh to this dare-devil fellow. The story of how he won a Mille Miglia goes to show what sort of driver he was, which made him a legend, now the race is held as Gran Premio Nuvolari.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 06:05:55 PM »

What I like about your Fangio post is the story of him besides being a driver.  Can you imagine anyone on the grid today talking themselves out of being kidnapped?  Maybe Ricciardo?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle