collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 294
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sauber team sold and Peter can retire at last  (Read 2805 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Sauber team sold and Peter can retire at last
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:22:36 PM »
Swiss firm Longbow Finance S.A to acquire all shares in Sauber team.

Peter can put his feet up but Monisha stays in place.

Wonder how much - if anything - Peter got for it all? :D   

http://en.f1i.com/news/64502-saubers-f1-future-secure-as-investment-materialises.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Sauber team sold and Peter can retire at last
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »
I do hope this means good things for the team.

It's been rough watching the 'cost cutting' measures force the smaller teams to the back of the grid.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »
As much as I'm pleased that a Swiss team has come to the table, financial services companies can be fly by night and may not exist beyond the next big market turndown.  As well, they tend to be extremely greedy and may well do whatever they can to strip the company of profits and assets.

No, I'm not pleased.  Their website is Mickey Mouse and I imagine their approach will be as well.  I doubt Sauber will be on the grid next year unless a bank or manufacturer steps in.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »
I'm afraid I have to agree with Scott on this one. I really hope Sauber can survive but I think this makes it even less likely.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
I think they are trying to sell the team, and most likely dump it into someone else, with the possibility of being those teams lost in the memories. It hurts, because over the years I loved this team, cheered for them, bear their agony, and celebrated their triumphs. I have the up most respect for Peter, and had hoped his name will remain their for sometime. I am feeling exactly the same when I heard Minardi will be no more. In that Torro Rosso Minardi is still there, I really hope Sauber remains the same.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
Minardi isn't really still there, sadly.  I still miss my favourite team.  Toro Rosso is nothing by a pale shadow, a marketing exercise used by Marko to develop drivers for Red Bull.  There's no soul to that team at all.  It's just the Red Bull B Team.

As for Sauber, I have concerns about this deal.  It seems rather similar to the Genii Capital deal when Renault sold out the first time, and we all know what happened there in the end.  I hope that Sauber does continue, as they're one of the last privateers now, but I want to see exactly how things develop next year before I draw any firm conclusions about their long-term future.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »
In a sense the team is not Minardi definitely, but at least the facility is still there, people with passion for Motorsports still goes to that place to make a car go faster. For me in this era of privateer extinction, that is the Minardi living in Torro Rosso. But yeah regarding how team acts, how the operations are being conducted, surely there is nothing of the Minardi present in Torro Rosso, and to be honest there were never a possibility of being so.
Being a Minardi enthusiast, I would like to see a sea in a rain-drop, because in that way  it soothes my mind that Minardi is still there.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 04:22:09 PM »
As much as I'm pleased that a Swiss team has come to the table, financial services companies can be fly by night and may not exist beyond the next big market turndown.  As well, they tend to be extremely greedy and may well do whatever they can to strip the company of profits and assets.

No, I'm not pleased.  Their website is Mickey Mouse and I imagine their approach will be as well.  I doubt Sauber will be on the grid next year unless a bank or manufacturer steps in.

I suspect there may be a different ulterior motive.  With rumours of Apple (or some other 'big company') becoming involved with the sport, there may be considerable value in owning a piece of F1 during the transition.

Rather than strip the company down, they may be looking to flip it instead.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
I guess that's right.  I heard other reports that Sauber was essentially being parked for a season or two until it can be unloaded.  I don't view that as very positive either.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 10:13:31 AM »
I'm glad Peter can retire, it's a shame it's a season where they are struggling and he can't go out on a high. Fingers crossed the team survives, even if the name does not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle