collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 609
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Want more liveries in F1?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline liveries7

Want more liveries in F1?
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
Hey all, I just started a petition for the FIA / Formula 1 Group to change the laws concerning F1 liveries.

There has not been a real in-reason one-off livery in over four years at the 2012 British GP, and that is a sad truth. In addition to that many teams do not make very eye-catching liveries. Renault F1’s chief Cyril Abiteboul even went so far to say this year’s liveries were “ugly”. I want to help change that.

The FIA / Formula 1 Group’s main issue is livery changes potentially confusing fans. We can get around this by getting teams to:
  • Get race organizer approval for one-off changes, since it would affect the organizers the most.
  • Keep the majority of the livery composed of the main colors set at the start of the season
  • To still keep diversity teams will be encouraged to set multiple colors as their “main colors”.
An example of this would be the orange of the 2016 Mclaren-Honda’s. If under these rules they set orange as one of their main colors, then they will be able to run an orange livery, despite it being a small part of their main livery.
  • The catch is that the race organizers will have to approve it, which will stop any “confusing” liveries.
  • It should be easy for fans to determine which car belongs to which team even if they do not keep up with the news. 

I believe very passionately that this would be a nice amendment to the rules in the 2017 overhaul. If you want to see eye-catching liveries brought back to F1, then sign this petition to give teams back the right to run one-off liveries.

https://www.change.org/p/formula-1-strategy-group-allow-formula-1-teams-to-run-one-off-liveries

It would also be a big help if you tell your friends about this petition, so we can really start to make an impact!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Want more liveries in F1?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »

I like it. :good:   

Could help teams raise much needed cash so I think it's a great idea so I've signed up.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
I disagree that this is an important matter.  There are far more pressing issues that need to be dealt with in Formula 1 which come a long way ahead of this.  Having a few livery changes is likely to cause more confusion than it is anything else, and so I'm not a great fan of this idea.  I'm all for petitioning the FIA, but my view is that the petitions need to focus on getting the rules about track design, penalties, and car design changed, not liveries.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
Nobody said it's important, but I would support anything that brought more sponsors to the sport.  Allowing one off liveries gives a potential sponsor a way to test the water so to speak.  And if the water was the right temperature (so to speak), maybe they would jump in as full time sponsors.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
What I think could work to the advantage of F1 would be for the teams to keep their basic liveries, but perhaps add something of local fair to it.

For instance, if there were some local merchants/restaurants/industries of some prominence, in a particular venue, that chamber of commerce could market them on some of the cars for that race weekend.

It may simply be too complex an issue, but I think it worth looking at.  It would require some negotiations with FOM and the chambers of commerce at the venues on the following year's schedule, but with proper planning, it is probably not insurmountable.  It could add to the spice of each race.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:17:37 PM »
I'd like to see new team's hence new liveries.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline liveries7

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:26:40 AM »
Firstly, I am glad to see some interest on the topic. I really think it would add some more spice, for lack of a better term, to race weekends.

Addressing the issue of this not being an important matter, passing new penalty / technical / track design rules is MUCH harder since teams, as well as fans, can pretty easily end up in gridlock debating the issue.

More liveries is a far less controversial issue. They would benefit almost all parties involved especially the sponsors, who would most likely be pretty enthusiastic about the idea.

Also Irisado, the issue of confusion is also covered in petition. Teams having to set their colors at the start of the season (so Mclaren can't suddenly introduce pink as a main color of a livery when it has not been in their car all season) as well as race organizer approval (who reject any liveries mainly to prevent confusion) should see confusion kept to a minimum.

Lastly J. Clark, teams will probably end up running some local themed liveries (as they want to get attention). Changing liveries based on local companies would be very hard to organize, as you pointed out, since every team will have to choose their sponsors, companies with existing contracts will be angry and teamwear will be a disaster. Still a cool thought.

Thank you guys for the support. Since I am just starting out if you guys have any suggestions on where I could go from here on this "campaign" that would be much appreciated. Also tell any F1 fans / friends you know that may be interest. I live in an area with almost 0 F1 fans, so it can be a struggle.   :'(

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
I can sympathize with your last statement, liveries7. Many of us are in the same situation, especially here in The States. That's one of the many reasons why it's so great to have a place like this to meet with other F1 fans from around the world.

I'd like to see more liveries, but I'm afraid it might make it harder for casual fans to identify the cars. I would like to see a bit more difference between the cars on any given team. It would be easier to tell which driver we're looking at. The LeMans series does a good job of that.

Multiple liveries are standard operating procedure in NASCAR. Of course, they have gigantic numbers on both doors & the roof.

Multiple liveries would also keep the die-cast makers (and collectors) busy, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle