collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Monza - il Grand Premio D'Italia 2016  (Read 3749 times)

Offline J.Clark

Monza - il Grand Premio D'Italia 2016
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
One of three of the original circuits still on the calendar.

More later.  Feel free to comment in the meantime.

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Irisado

Re: Monza - il Grand Premio D'Italia 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »
Another one of my favourite tracks.  Just a shame that hardly any engines ever fail any more.  That always made Monza quite lively.  Still, Rosberg may be concerned as his engine did fail there last year, and he has had better reliability than Hamilton up until now.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Alright, Monza is famous.  What else can be said?

It is high speed, with 11 corners, and fairly straight forward.  The fastest cars out of the corners will dominate easily.  There are two DRS zones: one on the start/finish straight and the other on the run from turn 7 down to the 8, 9, 10 chicane.  Overtaking will come down largely to which driver is the best at late braking.  The circuit is 5.8 km, so fairly long, with a race distance of 53 laps covering just over 300 km.

The lap record was set by Rubens Barrichello back in 2004 in his Ferrari, at 1:21.046.  I imagine with the vastly improve V6 this season, that record should fall.

Current drivers who have won at Monza:
Hamilton 3
Vettel 3
Alonso 2

I have two pictures of the track layout.  The first is one I chose because it shows the oval, with the modern circuit as an overlay.  In the old form, every other lap was done on the other circuit.  A lap on the road course, and then the next lap would be on the oval. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:38:01 PM by J.Clark »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »
Monza was built in 1922. It was the world's 3rd purpose built auto racing venue, after Brooklands & Indy. It's known as "La Pista Magica," The Magic Track. It is on the grounds of a former royal park.

The Tifosi will be out in force. Ferrari always put forth maximum effort at their home race. Still, I think the high speed nature of the track bodes well for Mercedes.

By the way, before it became a name for hard-core Ferrari fans, the word tifosi referred to people with typhus. 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »
Chance of rain at Monza this weekend.  A young boy won Monza in the rain in a crummy little Torro Rosso a bunch of years ago...I think his name was Vettel.

Monza in the rain can be a surprising and unforgiving place.   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »
Chance of rain at Monza this weekend.  A young boy won Monza in the rain in a crummy little Torro Rosso a bunch of years ago...I think his name was Vettel.

Monza in the rain can be a surprising and unforgiving place.   :good: :good:

That was a great race to watch.  I don't think the modern cars handle well enough in the rain, which has led to the disappearance of the 'rain meister' drivers.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:51:47 PM »
In my top 3 tracks but I wonder if the reward is still on for Scott
and Ian?Just like Casablanca it was the beginning of a wonder friendship
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:02:58 PM »
The race I remember the most at Monza is the 1999 event when Hakkinen spun out of the lead, and ended up crying in the bushes.  For sheer emotional drama only the 1988 race where Senna was taken out by Schlesser and Ferrari scored a one-two for the first race at Monza since Enzo Ferrari's death surpasses it in my view, and I didn't see that one live, hence why I favour the 1999 race.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
The race I remember the most at Monza is the 1999 event when Hakkinen spun out of the lead, and ended up crying in the bushes.  For sheer emotional drama only the 1988 race where Senna was taken out by Schlesser and Ferrari scored a one-two for the first race at Monza since Enzo Ferrari's death surpasses it in my view, and I didn't see that one live, hence why I favour the 1999 race.

Hakkinen was a special moment for me as an F1 fan.  Until that point, I saw drivers as 'gods' who would get in the car and perform miracles.  He pulled back the curtain, and helped me understand that these are people, people following their dreams, and caught up in a world that is so much more immense than themselves.  My love for the sport grew deeper, because I realized how much love these drivers, mechanics and engineers put into every race weekend just so I could sit and watch.

They weren't gods, instead, they're something better:  They're people who can perform miracles.  And when the miracles fail to happen, when they've done everything humanly possible and come up short, they're just as human as I am.

His tears washed away the corporate logos, the engine formula, the tire wars, and showed why F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
Massa having announced his retirement seems to have helped him get back on terms with his teammate, as illustrated with his start a week ago at Spa, and his performance in this morning's practice 3.

1.  Hamilton   Mercedes   1m 22.008
2.  Rosberg   Mercedes   1m 22.401
3.  Vettel      Ferrari   1m 22.946
4.  Raikkonen   Ferrari   1m 23.149
5.  Bottas      Williams   1m 23.500
6.  Massa      Williams   1m 23.647
7.  Ricciardo      Red Bull   1m 23.709
8.  Verstappen    Red Bull   1m 23.740
9.  Perez      Force India   1m 23.917
10. Gutierrez    Haas    1m 24.036
11. Hulkenberg      Force India   1m 24.041
12. Button      McLaren   1m 24.104
13. Sainz       Toro Rosso   1m 24.240
14. Grosjean    Haas    1m 24.463
15. Palmer   Renault   1m 24.533
16. Ericsson   Sauber   1m 24.542
17. Alonso      McLaren   1m 24.658
18. Nasr      Sauber   1m 24.715
19. Magnussen      Renault   1m 24.793
20. Kvyat      Toro Rosso   1m 24.845
21. Wehrlein    MRT   1m 24.893
22. Ocon      MRT   1m 24.938

What has happened to Kvyat?

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
The grid:

1. Lewis Hamilton   GBR   Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 21.135s
2. Nico Rosberg   GER   Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 21.613s
3. Sebastian Vettel   GER   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 21.972s
4. Kimi Raikkonen   FIN   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 22.065s
5. Valtteri Bottas   FIN   Williams-Mercedes   1m 22.388s
6. Daniel Ricciardo   AUS   Red Bull-TAG Heuer   1m 22.389s
7. Max Verstappen NED   Red Bull-TAG Heuer   1m 22.411s
8. Sergio Perez   MEX   Force India-Mercedes   1m 22.814s
9. Nico Hulkenberg   GER   Force India-Mercedes   1m 22.836s
10. Esteban Gutierrez MEX Haas-Ferrari   1m 23.184s

11. Felipe Massa   BRZ   Williams-Mercedes   1m 22.967s
12. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari   1m 23.092s *
13. Fernando Alonso   ESP   McLaren-Honda   1m 23.273s
14. Pascal Wehrlein GER   MRT-Mercedes   1m 23.315s
15. Jenson Button   GBR   McLaren-Honda   1m 23.399s
16. Carlos Sainz Jr   ESP   Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m 23.496s
17. Daniil Kvyat   RUS   Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m 23.825s
18. Felipe Nasr   BRZ   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 23.956s
19. Marcus Ericsson   SWE   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 24.087s
20. Jolyon Palmer   GBR   Renault-Renault   1m 24.230s
21. Kevin Magnussen   DEN   Renault-Renault   1m 24.436s
22. Esteban Ocon   FRA   MRT-Mercedes   No time
* Grosjean will start P-17 for a transmission change I think.

Let us see, if the engine rules were not so easily circumvented, Hamilton would be starting from P-22 this race, and P-11 in Singapore.

Not any real surprises up front; although, one has to wonder what happened to Massa on his final hot lap in Q2, since he was within tenths of Bottas on all previous laps.

Vettel has to be resting a bit easier too, having out-qualified Kimi.

Ricciardo must be happy to be ahead of Max again.

Haas has proved themselves to be a genuine mid-field team right out of the box.  It is good, very good, to have an American team on the grid, but even more so since they are competitive and scoring points.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:37:31 AM by J.Clark »

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 04:05:21 PM »
A bit of a dull session in many ways.  The only surprise was Gutierrez getting into the top ten.  I did not see that coming.  An excellent performance from him and Haas.

Hamilton's pace advantage over Rosberg was staggering, especially at a track where the lap times are usually very close.  It's his race to lose tomorrow.  Providing he gets a good start, only a technical failure can stop him.

I fear tomorrow's race will be a procession, unless there are any incidents at the chicanes on the first lap, so let's hope for an exciting start to the race to liven things up a bit.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 04:22:50 PM »
Cheers to Gutierrez for getting Haas their first Q3. Sadly, Grosjean will get a 5 place grid penalty for a gearbox swap.

I think Williams could have a good day on this low downforce track. I expect the Mercedes to run away and hide, but I hope for some close racing between Williams, Ferrari & RBR.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
If Vettel gets one of his super starts, could be interesting.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »
What a snorefest that was. 

By the first corner half the field had blown their starts and mucked up everyone's picks.  I've never seen so many yellow and green triangles on the lineup showing who gained and lost places.  The best battles were at the back of the field.  Button must have been so chuffed to blow past Alonso, but I can't believe Alonso wasn't fighting some issue or another to let Button get that close and then have Gutierrez go by as well (I think Button had newer rubber at the time as well).  Sorry to see Wehrlein have bad luck after a decent weekend.  I will be interested to see how he fairs in a faster car in a season or two.

The top 10 seem to be the usual suspects, though not quite in the order we might have expected.  Disappointed in Kimi for letting Vettel by on the start.  I was hoping  Though I don't think the top two would not be Mercs at Monza because Monza is a track where if you have good straight line speed, you will automatically dominate.  Nice to see both Force Indias in the points again. 

I don't think I have ever picked the 5th, 6th and 7th cars ever before, which saved me from having a horrible GG result.  For some reason I thought I had 4 DNF's, but I guess I changed it this morning.  Great results for Greener and Luke - holy crap guys, bet you wish you doubled up.  And not too bad for the guy who did - 24 ain't too shabby Philbe.

The standings are sure tightening up.  Only two points between Hamilton and Rosberg (starting to think it is scripted to get more Merc TV time).  Glad to see Ricciardo increasing his lead over Verstappen.  Gotta keep that young whippersnapper down.  At least (as far as I know) there were no more Trump-like statements from Max after the race.  He couldn't really complain about anyone today, and maybe he'll have a chance to watch the race and see the number of other high speed passes that took place along DRS zones that didn't have the car being passed suddenly veer over and almost cause a crash...because there were more than a few.  Vettel and Raikkonen only 7 points apart.  Still time for a good result or two from Kimi and a bad one or two from Vettel to secure Ferrari confidence in Kimi.  Big applause for Williams getting back ahead of Force India in the Constructors.  They will have to guard it carefully from Hulk and Checko though...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle