collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 609
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massa looking forward to return  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Dare

Massa looking forward to return
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
Is it really a return or coming out of retirement?He hasn't
even missed any races just like if he hadn't retired.Kinda
like throwing a birthday party for someone and finding
out it's not really their b'day.Anyway good luck Massa

http://www.planetf1.com/news/massa-very-much-looking-forward-f1-return/

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

Re: Massa looking forward to return
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
I think Massa is in a good place.  Coming out of 'retirement', there can't be heavy expectations on him.  If he does poorly, well, of course he is, he should have retired!

Hopefully this lack of pressure will let him enjoy the racing, and maybe even provide some surprises.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
Just goes to show that the retirement wasn't Massa's idea.  A bit hollow isn't it? 

I am still going to throw out another 'Why not Wehrlein?' in this situation as well.  He has a full season in F1 and has taken a Manor to places it doesn't belong.  Massa has never done that in my opinion.   He has driven a car as fast as he can, but never faster than it should go.  Clearly Williams needs a driver who can do the latter.

Bad move Claire.   :nono:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Martini wanted at least one driver old enough to legally do adverts for them.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »

It does seem odd that there are no drivers older than 25, yet younger than 35 who are qualified to race F1 cars

I wonder if super licence requirements are a factor?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »

It does seem odd that there are no drivers older than 25, yet younger than 35 who are qualified to race F1 cars

I wonder if super licence requirements are a factor?

To some extent, yes - and other factors include the vacancy appearing in December (Williams thought their Bottas-Stroll line-up was solid before that), after most of the good drivers in that age bracket had signed contracts elsewhere. (So had Felipe, but he proved relatively easy to get back). The other issue is that Williams is currently a team slipping back, which is always a situation that makes driver recruitment more difficult - even in a scenario where Williams' underlying strength makes technical talent fairly easy for it to obtain.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Massa should have takin' the money and ran.
He made it out alive after a horrible accident almost got him. Spend time with the family and enjoy life.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
I agree he should have stayed ( well actually) retired,  not sure he is going to be competitive,  I hope it's not a case of rolling around ad doing what is 'needed'  it won't do Williams any good

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
I agree he should have stayed ( well actually) retired,  not sure he is going to be competitive,  I hope it's not a case of rolling around ad doing what is 'needed'  it won't do Williams any good

Since there's little else to discuss, I'll weave a conspiracy theory, just for fun.

As we've seen with Rosberg and Hamilton, a driver's ego is a very important element to their success.  The list of F1 drivers over 25 who are currently not under contract are a list of drivers who have basically been forced out of the sport.  Is it possible they're as good as they were before?  Maybe.  But if they were good enough to be in F1, wouldn't they be in F1?

Now let me add a level to this conspiracy.  Lance Stroll, like all good 'pay' drivers, is good.  He brings money AND talent to the Williams team.  He may need a couple years before he reaches his potential.  Would a 27 year old driver with an ax to grind be a teammate who would help Stroll develop, or would they be out to prove they're better than the 'golden boy'? 

Massa has nothing to prove.  He's raced in the shadow of Michael Schumacher, he's contended for the championship, he's driven uninspired races in noncompetitive cars.  If Stroll's sponsors told  Claire they need a driver who isn't opposed to being the unofficial #2, I see how Massa is the only driver on that list.  He may not be the best F1 driver available, but he may be the best one that will make all of Williams' sponsors happy.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
  He may not be the best F1 driver available, but he may be the best one that will make all of Williams' sponsors happy.

I must admit I'm struggling to find a better available driver, they must be experienced, short term, as fast as other mid field pilots, able to mentor a young driver, and most of all know how Williams work especially around car set up and sponsor commitments. 

Now when you apply those parameters the default choice, i.e. the best, is Felipe.

Maldonado - unluckily for him - has been out of Williams for a bit too long.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »
If only the age wasn't dictated by Martini, there would be a couple more choices.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
I think Pastor would have been a better pick but with'the way
of oil prices I doubt if he had the funds
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
It's psychologically negative for Massa to have come back.  He received such a positive send off in Brazil, and that was such an emotionally high note on which to bow out.  It felt like the right time for him to stop.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
Best of the non-big-three-teams drive for Felipe. That is some style in which to return!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle