collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Lewis screw the Aus GP race win in Q2?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Did Lewis screw the Aus GP race win in Q2?
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure Hammy set his Q2 time on a set of used ultrasofts. :o 
The commentator on channel 4 hightlights show indicated Lewis set a spectacular time on used ultras to be just a whisker off Bottas on a brand new set of ultras.

They went on to say the team confirmed Lewis tyres in Q2 had already done 6 laps..................... now why???????  :DntKnw:

Rules say all cars in the top 10 in Q3 have to start on the tyres they set their fastest lap in Q2.

Now if he was on used ultras at the start why oh why would Merc and Lewis think it was a good idea to start on a well used set of tyres???? :confused:

Especially since it was the few laps extra that Vettel ran after Lewis pit stop that did the real damage. 

Well it would explain why Hammy had to stop so early. ::)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:18:55 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Did Lewis screw the Aus GP race win in Q2?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:27:35 PM »
Lewis' engine was having power consistency issues. He may well have lost it before Q2. However, stopping early was definitely an impediment.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »
Sky covered the point about Hamilton appearing to be setting his fastest time on used Ultra's. The FOM information was showing them as used but they were definitely new.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
Both his runs shooting at pole in Q3 were on ultras, used or new I don't know, but his speed - 3 tenths up on Bottas - would suggest his runs were on new sets. 

However in Quali 2, where the start tyres are decided, Lewis trailed Bottas by 4 hundredths in that session. In fact it's the only time of the weekend that Vallteri got the best of Hammy. Now either Lewis deliberately eased off to save tyre life for the start - or more likely he was held back by a used set of Ultras. 

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »
Both his runs shooting at pole in Q3 were on ultras, used or new I don't know, but his speed - 3 tenths up on Bottas - would suggest his runs were on new sets. 

However in Quali 2, where the start tyres are decided, Lewis trailed Bottas by 4 hundredths in that session. In fact it's the only time of the weekend that Vallteri got the best of Hammy. Now either Lewis deliberately eased off to save tyre life for the start - or more likely he was held back by a used set of Ultras.

I have to admit that I thought Lewis went wide on Turn 13 - this could have been an illusion or provide an option c). FOM's data was practically useless before the race, apart from the raw times. So we may never know who is right or wrong on this one.

Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
Sky sent their pit fool to check and he said that Hamilton's fastest time was definitely set on new Ultras and he started the race on those tyres.
Hamilton is a clever guy and I would bet that he did just enough on those tyres to make sure he got through to Q3.
As I said elsewhere I think he slightly panicked during the race and assumed the tyres were going to 'fall off the cliff' whereas he probably had enough grip to keep Vettel behind him for another 6 to 8 laps and still avoid a pit stop under-cut.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
Thanks Monty, I guess that clears it up - I misunderstood your point the first time.

I do agree that Merc and Lewis saw the undercut as the biggest threat which will undoubtedly have hung a cloud over their strategy deliberations.

However Ferrari seemed able to run a fair old pace in the crucial 5 laps between theirs and Merc pit stop, and that's after following Lewis closely for more than half the laps behind him with the resultant tyre deg from the dirty air.

Perhaps Vettel's win was unstoppable and Ferrari really is the real cream of the crop this season. Can't wait for China now.  ;)   

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
Sky sent their pit fool to check and he said that Hamilton's fastest time was definitely set on new Ultras and he started the race on those tyres.

Ah, so we have an answer - thank you, monty :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »
His biggest problem was getting stuck behind Max  :yahoo: and really nothing more.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
There were a lot of things at play here. Lewis rarely felt pressured by Nico in the past, but he is much less sure of how Seb will race him. With Seb he can't depend on "Don't crash your team mate" to make him back off. Steve Matchett says the ideal gap to keep pressure on, but not ruin your front tires is 1.2-1.3 seconds. Seb held the gap between 1 and 2 seconds the whole first stint. I think Lewis freaked out a little that he couldn't pull away from Seb and that caused him to worry more about his tires going off. He was complaining about lack of grip even when he was trading fastest laps with Seb. If they weren't going for the undercut, seeing Lewis come out behind Max must have decided them. Seb did a Schumacher, putting in a number of quick laps to gap Lewis. The Ferrari pit crew did an excellent pitstop. Whether it was Lewis' decision or Merc's, they pitted too soon. Despite his complaints, his lap times were still good. Merc at least should have known he would be behind Max, but I think they expected Seb to pit within 1 or 2 laps. If Lewis was losing grip, Seb should be also. The Ferrari does seem to be slightly easier on it's tires than the Merc. All in all, either Merc or Lewis, under serious pressure for the first time in a while, dropped the ball, while Ferrari did everything right for a change.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle