collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 450
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Last Malaysian GP is this year now!  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Robem64

Last Malaysian GP is this year now!
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:16:49 AM »
Some early morning news - this year's Malaysian Grand Prix will be the last after 19 years on the calendar.

“It’s always sad to say goodbye to a member of the Formula 1 family,” said Sean Bratches, managing director of Formula 1 commercial operations. “Over nearly two decades, the Malaysian Formula 1 fans have proven themselves to be some of the sport’s most passionate supporters.

“We will have 21 exciting events to look forward to in the 2018 calendar, with the additions of the French and German races."

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Andy B

Re: Last Malaysian GP is this year now!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:47:38 AM »
I very nearly left this years race to go to the last year in 2018 which is what they originally said so am pleased I have my ticket for this year. It seems they have struggled to get the local populace involved but it looks like the Moto GP is to continue maybe due to the popularity of motorcycles in Malaysia.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
Well this has caught me out, Andy. I went last year and loved it. Going to some different ones this year but had pencilled a return to Malaysia for 2018. Guess I can scrub that from the diary now - I'm surprised Petronas haven't done more to cover the shortfall as they've now lost their "home" Grand Prix.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »
I'm sad to see it go. Not the best race of the season but far from the worst. I wonder if this was something left over from Bernie or if the new powers-that-be pulled the plug.

That said, it'll be good to have Germany & France back.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
The Malaysian circuit is one of the few challenging and interesting 'new' tracks, so I'm very disappointed to see its removal from the calendar.  It is great to have France and Germany both back on the calendar, but there are other newer circuits which should, in my view, have been dropped to make way for them.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
I wonder if this was something left over from Bernie or if the new powers-that-be pulled the plug.

I read about a month ago that 2018 was to be the last race and the circuit owners would not be renewing their contract and reading between the lines its the lack of local support that's missing and if you don't have bums on seats theres no cash flow. Chine seems to be the exception to this as they have completely empty stands but that race is government financed was it Turkey that went to the wall due to lack of support?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:18 PM »
I wonder if this was something left over from Bernie or if the new powers-that-be pulled the plug.

I read about a month ago that 2018 was to be the last race and the circuit owners would not be renewing their contract and reading between the lines its the lack of local support that's missing and if you don't have bums on seats theres no cash flow. Chine seems to be the exception to this as they have completely empty stands but that race is government financed was it Turkey that went to the wall due to lack of support?

Turkey had government support, but Bernie was running its promotion. Bernie has never been good at promoting Grands Prix, as Belgium will attest (that time when he managed to force F1 to skip the race in 2005).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle