collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 608
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why is Vettel leading?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline rmassart

Why is Vettel leading?
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »
According to the official F1 Vettel is now first and Hamilton second even though they both have 43 points, but Hamilton has two poles. I am curious, how are drivers placed when on equal points?

Offline Andy B

Re: Why is Vettel leading?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:19:05 PM »
Good question and we can't ask Bernie anymore!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »
Short version: because Vettel won first.

Long version: the tables for the F1 championship are sorted thus:

1) Points. More points have priority over fewer points. This one's intuitive.

2) If two drivers have the same points, the best finish is taken. This works even for positions that don't award points. A win is obviously higher priority than a 2nd, and a peak of 12th has priority over a peak of 13th.

3) If two drivers' best result is the same, the number of times this was achieved are considered. A points score achieved via two wins and a DNF will defeat one scored using one win, one 3rd and one 5th. The exception is if it is the end of the season and the championship winner will be one of the drivers who is in the tie; then the FIA has discretion as to how to award the championship if steps 1) and 2) do not decide the matter, up to and including declaring joint champions if they choose.

4) If two drivers' best result was achieved the same number of times, whoever got the first of their best results earlier gets priority. A win in the first race of the season has priority over a win in the second race of the season, which is why Vettel is leading the championship at this point.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 05:42:15 AM »
Thanks for that. I  find the final rule strange:

A win in the first race of the season has priority over a win in the second race of the season, which is why Vettel is leading the championship at this point.

I suppose it will never come to this, but it means not all races are equal. I would have thought the number of poles to be more important than who won first.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
If poles ever become directly worth points (as they are in WEC, for example), they would be deemed more important than who won first. However, that's not how the FIA perceives F1, so qualifying doesn't get points and therefore does not receive any kind of significance in terms of championship ranking.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
Thanks, Ali. It's great to have your knowledge of the rules here.  :good:

I thought it was because of the basic rule of F1: The driver of a red car with a prancing horse shall always be favored over any other driver.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »
I reckon if they come alternating first and second for the whole season, they should have a playoff! Or they could draw lots as happened once in the World Cup - 1990 I think it was...

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
Thanks, Ali. It's great to have your knowledge of the rules here.  :good:

I thought it was because of the basic rule of F1: The driver of a red car with a prancing horse shall always be favored over any other driver.

:good: :good: :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »

The FIA can use that if it pleases if a Ferrari and non-Ferrari driver tie for the championship. However, I think the real Ferrari favouritism comes rather earlier, when Ferrari are get a large lump sum for competing, half of which is top-sliced before even the Constructors' Championship Bonus payouts (from which Ferrari also receives some funding).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »

The FIA can use that if it pleases if a Ferrari and non-Ferrari driver tie for the championship. However, I think the real Ferrari favouritism comes rather earlier, when Ferrari are get a large lump sum for competing, half of which is top-sliced before even the Constructors' Championship Bonus payouts (from which Ferrari also receives some funding).

Which "under new management" I hope will stop.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
Which "under new management" I hope will stop.

Perhaps in 2020, when the current contracts for payouts expire.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle