collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 485
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren and Alonso to race at Indy 500  (Read 16515 times)

Offline Monty

McLaren and Alonso to race at Indy 500
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
So Alonso will miss Monaco and race the Indy 500 instead. Does this mean that Jenson Button gets the F1 car for Monaco?? I do hope so. All we need is Jenson in a reliable McLaren and perhaps some rain and who knows what will happen.
I have no idea how competitive the Andretti (McLaren) Indy car will be but I certainly wish Alonso lots of luck.

Offline ChrisCurtis

Re: McLaren and Alonso to race at Indy 500
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
There's several really positive elements to this story. If it had broken on April fools day I doubt we'd have believed it! I checked twice to see I was reading a genuine BBC news page.

It raises the profile of F1 among the Indy fans and vice versa. I know I'll definitely be tuning into the Indy 500 now to see how he does.

It gives Alonso a bit of a reward for his commitment while McLaren has been floundering.

If Jenson comes back for the race, it's great for the profile of F1 and will create a lot of media interest.

In fact it's hard to see anything negative about it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Maybe it's also a job interview of sorts for next season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
Two things!
Thing 1.
JB is a McLaren Ambassador I don't think he's their reserve driver as he retired from being an F1 driver.
Thing 2.
McLaren need to do something to give Alonso the incentive to stay with them so don't be surprised to also see him do Le Mans as thats his other objective.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 05:48:38 AM »
I thought he said he has a race contract this year.  If they are paying him like a race driver, then they could well expect that he should race.  Though I prefer he doesn't.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
I thought he said he has a race contract this year.  If they are paying him like a race driver, then they could well expect that he should race.  Though I prefer he doesn't.

Taken from the McLaren web site: -

The current McLaren-Honda reserve, test & development drivers are Oliver Turvey and Nobuharu Matsushita.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Well if they don't give the seat to Jenson they will lose some major financial support ... I will never buy McLaren merchandise ever again!
 :D >:D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
Two things!
Thing 1.
JB is a McLaren Ambassador I don't think he's their reserve driver as he retired from being an F1 driver.
Thing 2.
McLaren need to do something to give Alonso the incentive to stay with them so don't be surprised to also see him do Le Mans as thats his other objective.

That's probably the reason for the McLaren badging on the car. There might have been something like "I'm racing Indy (and maybe LeMans). The only question is do you want me to come back to F1 after that."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
I just found this:

― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
How it came about:

http://autoweek.com/article/indy-500/heres-how-f1-great-fernando-alonsos-indy-500-came-together

Jack Harvey was supposed to get the car that Alonso will be in. He'll now get another Honda entered jointly by Andretti and Michael Shank Racing (MSR). Mike heads up Honda's IMSA effort. His team is based in Pataskala, Ohio, a short distance from where I live. In fact, Mike & my boss Scotto are good friends.
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
I'm ok with Button as long as he bites his tongue and doesn't just moan about the car.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
I'm not sure that Button will be overly looking forward to driving this year's McLaren-Honda.  Still, he agreed to this reserve contract, and he is the best candidate McLaren have on the books, so it makes sense for him to step in.

I'm happy for Alonso on the one hand, but nervous on the other.  Ovals can bite very hard if you crash and I do feel that he is, therefore, taking a risk.  It also really does show just how much McLaren want to retain Alonso that they are willing to accommodate his wish.  He has taken the car far higher than it has deserved to be for such a long time now that he has earned his opportunity to miss a race for such a high profile event.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
Probably the lack of power in the McLaren will benefit at Monaco and its not a grunt circuit so JB, who I said would not race, will be better placed and hopefully quite chilled over the weekend.
A conundrum!
As JB is contracted to race in 2018, if McLaren wish, doing an excellent job at Monaco could increase their interest and I don't think JB will be keen to go back to becoming a full time race driver again.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
What else could he do this that slug?
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle