collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 405
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren and Alonso to race at Indy 500  (Read 16335 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: McLaren and Alonso to race at Indy 500
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
The streaming of Alonso's rookie test at The Speedway has been viewed over two million times and that number is still climbing. The live stream trended on YouTube and outpaced the trailer for 'The Dark Tower,' a Hollywood adaptation of a Stephen King novel. It also performed better than Jimmy Kimmel’s reveal of his son’s birth and a Chris Rock video.

Further, 30 percent of all web traffic for IndyCar.com originated from Europe.

http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/fernando-alonsos-indy-500-orientation-takes-over-internet

But Bernie doesn't believe in new media (internet)   :fool: :fool: :fool:

...hope Liberty figure it out.

I'm still amazed at how the tech bubble keeps rolling on.  Companies like Twitter, Facebook and Uber provide amazing services... but they don't really make money, just sucker investors into driving up stock prices.  (I'm a bit surprised that Bernie isn't on board, since FOM is more or less the same business model.)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 10:34:59 PM »
I'm still amazed at how the tech bubble keeps rolling on.  Companies like Twitter, Facebook and Uber provide amazing services... but they don't really make money, just sucker investors into driving up stock prices.  (I'm a bit surprised that Bernie isn't on board, since FOM is more or less the same business model.)

Twitter and Uber can be categorised that way, but Facebook makes so much money off its advertisements and data usage that it made $27 billion profit in a single quarter of 2016. It was funded by IPO chasing (like the other two are now) but is now profitable in its own right, for much the same reason as Google initially became profitable.

In a way, Bernie caught on years ago - he ad-ified F1 and trousered much of the profits that arose from that process.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
But Bernie doesn't believe in new media (internet)   :fool: :fool: :fool:

...hope Liberty figure it out.

Bernie didn't want to give his product for free to profit the big internet companies - which was the route he saw it would end up going. Bernie avoided the internet as he could not figure out how to monetise it for F1.

Too many companies, especially media & newspapers, who gave free access to their product have since struggled to profit from it; in fact some have been dragged under by losing their cash flows. 

As a comparison though, American based racing series making their product available free to the whole world is far different to a whole world sport making itself freely available to the whole world.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »

Twitter and Uber can be categorised that way, but Facebook makes so much money off its advertisements and data usage that it made $27 billion profit in a single quarter of 2016. It was funded by IPO chasing (like the other two are now) but is now profitable in its own right, for much the same reason as Google initially became profitable.

In a way, Bernie caught on years ago - he ad-ified F1 and trousered much of the profits that arose from that process.

Misleading headline.  $7B REVENUE in the past quarter projected to be $27b REVENUE for the full year.  No mention of operating expenses in the free part of the story.

I'm disappointed in the WSJ  they used to know better.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 06:06:57 PM »
That's like the fact that Tesla now has a greater market value that Ford or GM. Wall Street (the people who gave us the Great Recession) is way, way out of touch with reality.

That was before they became part of Fox.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »
Yeah! There was a marked shift in the WSJ when FOX took over, and not for the better.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 12:22:30 AM »

Misleading headline.  $7B REVENUE in the past quarter projected to be $27b REVENUE for the full year.  No mention of operating expenses in the free part of the story.

OK, looks like that wasn't as good an item as I'd thought. The income from less overenthusiastic sources is rather less (though it is income) - Facebook made about $10 billion net profit across the year of 2016. (Now we can calculate that if WSJ's headline figure is true, then about 5/8ths of Facebook's income ends up going straight into expenses...)

I will try to do better in future - sorry!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »

OK, looks like that wasn't as good an item as I'd thought. The income from less overenthusiastic sources is rather less (though it is income) - Facebook made about $10 billion net profit across the year of 2016. (Now we can calculate that if WSJ's headline figure is true, then about 5/8ths of Facebook's income ends up going straight into expenses...)

I will try to do better in future - sorry!

I wouldn't blame you Ali.  WSJ used to be the gold standard for financial reporting.  They may still be... but then the gold standard has slipped considerably.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
Great start for his Indy Car debut and the series' signature event.
Funny little note to go with it is that he was quicker than his old rival Montoya.   :yahoo:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05-19-Indy-500-Live
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »
he was quicker than his old rival Montoya.

That would be worth a bit of a grin for Fernando...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 01:05:58 AM »
At day's end, after rain delays and a mid-session crash clean up, Fernando not only qualified for the race, but is in the "Fast Nine" for the pole shoot-out.  Montoya didn't make that elite group of nine.

The fastest nine qualifiers on Saturday, and therefore those who will compete for the Verizon P1 Award on Sunday are as follows:

1) Ed Carpenter - 230.468 mph

2) Takuma Sato - 230.382 mph

3) Scott Dixon - 230.333 mph

4) JR Hildebrand - 230.205 mph

5) Alexander Rossi - 230.148 mph

6) Will Power - 230.072 mph

7) Fernando Alonso - 230.034 mph

8 ) Tony Kanaan - 230.007 mph

9) Marco Andretti - 229.924 mph

The 33-car field will have the opportunity to fine-tune their setups early Sunday afternoon, with practice from 12 - 12:45 p.m. (Saturday qualifiers 10-33) and 1:15 - 2 p.m. (Fast Nine qualifiers). Coverage of the second day of qualifications for the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil begins on WatchESPN 2:30 - 4 p.m., with television coverage beginning on ABC at 4 p.m., beginning with Group 1 qualifications to determine positions 10-33, followed by the Fast Nine Shootout to determine who will lead the field to the green flag on Sunday May 28 for The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 01:40:15 AM »
Bourdais had turned 2 of the days fastest laps when he bobbled in turn 2.

Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
Glad, having watched the crash, that he is basically alright.  He won't be in the 500, nor the next few races.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/05/20/sebastien-bourdais-suffers-violent-crash-indy-500-qualifying/332685001/

I don't mean to turn this into a Sebastian Bourdais thread, but thought this important to the topic.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:27:16 AM by J.Clark »

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Fantastic job by Fernando in the Fast Nine qualifying session.
The first three rows for Sunday's Indianapolis 500 will roll off as follows:

Row 1

1) Scott Dixon - 232.164 mph

2) Ed Carpenter - 231.664 mph

3) Alexander Rossi - 231.487 mph

Row 2

4) Takuma Sato - 231.365 mph

5) Fernando Alonso - 231.300 mph

6) JR Hildebrand - 230.889 mph

Row 3

7) Tony Kanaan - 230.828 mph

8) Marco Andretti - 230.474 mph

9) Will Power - 230.200 mph

Offline Irisado

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Such an impressive performance from Alonso.  It shows just how much of a class driver he is, as it's a demanding place to make a debut in Indycar.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle