collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 369
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: UK Driving Test  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Ian

UK Driving Test
« on: April 15, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
I'm glad I've already got a driving licence, from December 4th having to use satnav is part of the test among other things, the examiner will just tell you where you have to go and you have to navigate by satnav, those of you that have known me for a while know what I'm like with gadgets, no chance.

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

Re: UK Driving Test
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
You just don't like a woman's voice giving you directions  ;) ;)

I always thought SatNav was a crutch more than a tool.  Considering they aren't mandatory in cars, why on earth would they make it mandatory in the tests??   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
Maybe the DVLA get a rake off from the makers.  :DntKnw:

Offline Robem64

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »
Given all the push/hype on self driving cars but the fact you still need to have a driver in such a car then goodness knows what the driving test might look like for that! Maybe you'd just have to sit in the self-drive car, program the sat nav and then demonstrate your ability to not fall asleep for an hour.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »
All those youngsters taking their test will have a smartphone with GPS and it'll tell them where to go so maybe its a step in the right direction.
Last week I went on a five day ride down in the South Island and the amount of people on their phones was staggering maybe they'll bring that in too?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
My sat nav would fail the test, tried to take me on a path through some woods my bike would not have managed.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
Over here they try to take you over closed mountain passes in the winter...we weren't paying attention one time last winter and it cost us at least 2hrs to backtrack...wifey insists on using a map now when something looks fishy.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
I love my GPS. Rode to a address in Baltimore,Maryland some 600
miles away with no clue whee I was going. Took me right there with
no problems.

First bought a Tomtom and it got me lost many times.While having more car
worked on one of the mechanics swiped it. Did me a favor..bought a Garmin
and never had a problem
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:56 AM »
I've always found that you have put locations that you know so that you can understand how its process of navigation works and by doing that I've not, to date, had a problem.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 03:14:11 AM »
I've always found that you have put locations that you know so that you can understand how its process of navigation works and by doing that I've not, to date, had a problem.

Not me...I'm horrible reading maps so I put my faith and life in
a  $100 machine and hope for the best
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
When I was about 9, the family drove from Phoenix, AZ to Madison, WI in our wonderful 1958 Mercury Montclair. My Dad was a member of AAA and had them plan the trip so we got the whole package, motel-restaurant guidebook, fold out map of the entire trip and a handy little gadget called a Trip-Tik. Imagine all the screens from your nav system printed out and organized into a wire bound booklet. He handed me the booklet, spent about 5 minutes explaining how to read it and said "Don't get us lost". He knew exactly where he was going, of course, but I read the maps and except for some minor problems in St Louis, got us safely to our destination. Never had any trouble reading maps since. This was pre McDonald's, pre freeway America when the highways went through the center of cities not around them. I've used navs, but they've gotten me lost, taken me the long way around and on one occasion told me I was in the middle of a field when I was on a new stretch of freeway. Just a convenience, not a necessity.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
When I was about 9, the family drove from Phoenix, AZ to Madison, WI in our wonderful 1958 Mercury Montclair. My Dad was a member of AAA and had them plan the trip so we got the whole package, motel-restaurant guidebook, fold out map of the entire trip and a handy little gadget called a Trip-Tik. Imagine all the screens from your nav system printed out and organized into a wire bound booklet. He handed me the booklet, spent about 5 minutes explaining how to read it and said "Don't get us lost". He knew exactly where he was going, of course, but I read the maps and except for some minor problems in St Louis, got us safely to our destination. Never had any trouble reading maps since. This was pre McDonald's, pre freeway America when the highways went through the center of cities not around them. I've used navs, but they've gotten me lost, taken me the long way around and on one occasion told me I was in the middle of a field when I was on a new stretch of freeway. Just a convenience, not a necessity.

Yeah but maps don't talk to you and tell you
when you missed a turn

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »
If you're reading the map and following it properly you won't miss a turn.  :tease:
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
I've seen GPS try to do some fairly odd routes for me, partially because I sometimes use a public-transport version of them as a pedestrian (for example, to figure out in advance how to get from Silverstone to Towcester, or whether I'm better off taking a train or night bus for a late-evening trip from my home to Northampton).

When I attempted the "home town to Northampton" route (note: I live about 80 miles from Northampton) suggested, as a better route than either train or night bus, to take a quick plane about 4000 miles to Ohio, take a taxi for 60 miles and then fly to London before continuing the journey on train. Oops! (In the end, I took what should have been 2 trains and ended up being 3 due to multiple delays for train #2).

Occasionally I even try using them on the scene, when I've got lost, but never has one been of any help in that situation. Either it finds no satellites or it sends me several miles the wrong way.

So I'm not sure I'd use an in-car GPS much except for an emergency, but I see why it is on the test. Too many people:

a) find the GPS pictures too distracting and take their eyes off the road excessively to use them

b) find the GPS voice too distracting and cannot multi-task it with driving (this also affects people distracted by passengers' talking - especially on matters unrelated to journey requirements - but that was not on the UK test before as testers are required to limit their speech to that needed to conduct the test fairly)

c) cannot interpret the directions and get lost (a related skill was tested in the previous version of the UK test, where the tester would tell the driver a destination and the driver had to find their way there, with the help of a map if needed)

d) fails to anticipate instructions properly, leading to the driver making such distinctive errors as being in the wrong lane in roundabouts, cutting lanes to correct this and trying to wrestle into queues belatedly

e) takes instructions too literally, failing to consider instructions may be incomplete, outdated or just plain wrong. These are the classic examples of "driver obeys GPS to drive up a goat track" and "driver uses car setting of GPS to wedge their lorry under a bridge". It's also led to a fair few cases of people driving much too fast, or much too slow, because the speed limits indicated on the GPS didn't match the road signs, and the driver foolishly disregarded the signs

It's really as distracting as a hands-free mobile phone, and I think GPS is only allowed because for many people, there would be even worse driving problems without GPS presence. So it's good that the driving test will now require candidates to become accustomed to that particular helpful distraction's presence. A well-formulated version of the test would combine all 5 requirements, though in some areas e) in particular is not easy to do for a car test, requiring significant local knowledge on the tester's part.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
I'd still sooner have a map and plan my journey.  :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle