collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 250
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 May Ban T-Wings Before Next Race  (Read 2866 times)

Offline cosworth151

F1 May Ban T-Wings Before Next Race
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
The latest rumor has it that F1 will ban T-wings before the next race.

Christian Horner says, "I think they should be banned on the grounds of safety and cost." Of course, Red bull doesn't have a t-wing.

"I can well imagine that Christian wants a part banned on a rival car," grinned Toto Wolff. He also says that you couldn't knock their t-wing off with a baseball bat. The last two weeks, it fell off on its own during practice.

I like them. I hope they stay. I like F1 being complex. (Yes, I like the shark fins, too!)

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-poised-ban-t-wings

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: F1 May Ban T-Wings Before Next Race
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
I like the wings (like Ferrari's), but am not a fan (cosmetically) of the antennas on Merc and others.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the t-wings myself, from an aesthetic point of view.  I understand from an engineering point of view pushing the rules to the absolute limit, so I appreciate that aspect of them.

If F1 cares about cost cutting, they certainly can't ask the teams to change the aerodynamics of their cars at this point.  As for safety, without being able to retest the redesigned cars, who knows how safe they will be be?  It's a delicately balanced machine, you don't just take parts off and hope it drives where you want it to.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
The area that the T wings are in was deliberately left open for aero exploitation in the new rules, seems a bit late to want to close the stable door.  :nono:  :crazy: 

But then it's what we've come to expect from the barmy FIA officials.  :( 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
While my opinion is probably not shared by others here, as far as I am concerned all of the aero appendages are ugly pieces that are not relevant to anything else. Tire to pavement grip in conjunction with drive line power delivery and suspension efficiency should be paramount.   
I do not like imitation tire grip provided by aero downforce. It would be interesting if racecars (in all series) would be wind tunnel tested to show no additional downforce at any speed.
Also do not like the soft compound tires ,aka tyres, that create rollerskate marbles, again, in any series.
Maybe someday...
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:53:12 PM »
How about banning all the added appendages!
This would make the teams work more on mechanical grip and not aero it could be taken further and reduce the elements on the front wing.
How good would it be to see cars nose to tail through bends and taking advantage of a tow without DRS.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
I like F1 being the most advanced racing series in every way, including aero. I even like playing "Where's Waldo" every FP1 trying to spot the new aero changes.

How good would it be to see cars nose to tail through bends and taking advantage of a tow without DRS.

Here you go. Available almost every weekend from late February through late November.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle