collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 463
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie wants back in  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Dare

Bernie wants back in
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
Would be the worst thing the new owners could do.Without
him F1 may have a good future.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/795394/Bernie-Ecclestone-hits-out-new-F1-owners-Liberty-Media-Top-Gear-interview

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Bernie wants back in
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Bernie already has a role for Liberty. His role is to run his mouth and look Liberty look smart for removing him.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:16:07 PM »
Maybe Bernie's daughter needs a better house and Bernie
has no other cash sources available to him except his own money
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
I know there's lots of Bernie hate.  He earned it, sucking every last penny out of F1 that he could. 

However, without him the amount of pennies would have been much smaller.  There are few comparable sports that have money on the same order of F1.  There's room for improvement, of course, but how many people have the audacity to shake down governments the way Bernie has?

Liberty is clearly taking F1 in a different direction, but they still need contracts signed.  Give Bernie a little direction as to what contracts they want, and then set him loose.  They'll get the tracks they want, plus they'll approach all the things Bernie never cared for.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
The trouble is, I don't think the "new" direction is all that much different than the old one. When Liberty talks about new venues, they use words like "destination cities" and talk about the pretty buildings, not the quality of the racing. It looks like more of the same, sad mess.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
I don't know Jeri, I don't jump on the bandwagon of those who suggest nobody could have done it but Bernie. 

He was shrewd, and found himself in the right place at the right time with the right friends (mainly Max).  He is a brutal negotiator, but there are plenty of those in the world, and plenty who have turned small streams of money into gushing rivers.  In fact I would suggest that it wasn't the strength of Bernie, but the weakness of the team owners, who didn't seem to have any vision at the time Bernie stepped in, and just loved that he threw money at them without them having to do a thing.  Sadly, they never realized how much money he was pulling out for himself while he was throwing small handfuls their way.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
I don't know Jeri, I don't jump on the bandwagon of those who suggest nobody could have done it but Bernie. 

He was shrewd, and found himself in the right place at the right time with the right friends (mainly Max).  He is a brutal negotiator, but there are plenty of those in the world, and plenty who have turned small streams of money into gushing rivers.  In fact I would suggest that it wasn't the strength of Bernie, but the weakness of the team owners, who didn't seem to have any vision at the time Bernie stepped in, and just loved that he threw money at them without them having to do a thing.  Sadly, they never realized how much money he was pulling out for himself while he was throwing small handfuls their way.

I totally get where you're coming from, when something only happens once, it's hard to explain why.  There are so many causes and effects, and certainly 'luck' and 'timing' are huge factors.

Bernie has ALWAYS been open and honest about trying go get as much as he can.  It's who he is, and you're right, he's not alone.  We're not like that.  Some people are wired so that their self worth is defined by their bank statement.  I can't even comprehend what that would be like, just as he can't comprehend the things that make me happy.

I do admire that he's been able to make F1 into something big.  I do resent that in making F1 something big, it seems to have lost what makes it special in some ways.  I admire that he's one of the best at what he does, while fully acknowledging that I couldn't stomach being friends with someone with his values.

And if there was someone who could replace him today, then someone would, there would be no discussion.  I think Liberty is right to try and distance themselves from the Bernie/CVC years, and yet, if you can't find someone with Bernie's skills, it would be a mistake to dismiss him out of hand.

I'd like to title this essay:  why Jeri Would be an Awful Choice for Running F1.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
As soon as the papers were changed I'd have changed
the locks on Bernie. His only motive is to get a little more
before he meets his maker,Whether in the sky or below I
have my opinion

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »

Others could have done it but they never did and Bernie stepped in when F1 was in complete disarray they would arrive at a circuit and not even know if there was to be a race so Bernie has to take the credit for getting F1 organised and the contracts that were agreed with the tracks and teams, I'm sure a lot of teams would not be in the financial position they are now if Bernie had not stepped in.
But all of that does not change the fact that Bernie has become very wealthy from it be it off the back of others or good management is for those affected to decide.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:12 AM »
Like I said, good timing.  But the fact that every year teams and tracks wither and disappear displays that he has left far too little in F1.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle