collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 606
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rule breaks for Honda  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Dare

Rule breaks for Honda
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
Why not give them a head start and wait for them to self destruct?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129136

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Rule breaks for Honda
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
I don't think they need help, just toss the token program away until they have a unit that is close to the rest.  Let them spend a few hundred million and bring new engines to test every race.  Otherwise I think F1 will lose Honda, and they probably won't ever come back after being humiliated twice in less than a decade.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »
I don't think they need help, just toss the token program away until they have a unit that is close to the rest.  Let them spend a few hundred million and bring new engines to test every race.  Otherwise I think F1 will lose Honda, and they probably won't ever come back after being humiliated twice in less than a decade.

The token system is gone, Honda can bring a thousand engines to free practise and do whatever they want.  However, McLaren still has a limit to how many power units they can use per driver.  Aside from giving Honda the Mercedes schematics, the only thing F1 can do is let McLaren use as many engines as they want without penalty.

Maybe a simple rule rewrite that the '4 per season' engine limits only start counting as soon as a driver earns points?  That gives a slight edge to back marker teams, as they can use fresh engines until things start working well.  And if a top driver has bad luck to start the season, they're not behind the blackball on engine count.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
If I understand this correctly, it sounds like the Balance of Performance (BoP) used in many sports car racing series. It's purpose is to allow cars of greatly different engines and layouts (flat 6, rear engine Porsches, mid engine V10 Lambos, front engine V8 Mustangs and so on) to compete with each other.

I can see it in a production based series that allows such variations. I thought that F1 insisting the entire field use the same layout & displacement engines & the same style hybrid systems was to eliminate the need for a BoP. The fact that Honda is building an anchor instead of an engine shouldn't override that.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
The fact that Honda is building an anchor instead of an engine shouldn't override that.

This bit really did make me laugh out loud - brilliantly put!  :DD :DD
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle