collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 599
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liberty interested in Indy?  (Read 1256 times)

Online Jericoke

Liberty interested in Indy?
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
It's a wild conspiracy theory based on no facts:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/auto-racing/2017/04/21/is-liberty-behind-alonsos-indy-500-ride-mcdonald.html

I love reading Norris McDonald.  He's wrong as often as is right, but he's willing to put his passion on display.

I think it would be a good move for Liberty IF their goal is to make F1 bigger in the USA.
  • Gains access to Indy's crown jewel races, which would make excellent venues for F1 racing
  • Gains access to another, cheaper, engine formula
  • Lets IndyCar focus on a few popular events instead of a dozen regional races with little national attention

I'd like to say I'd miss an independent IndyCar, but I wouldn't.  The current series just doesn't interest me.

I would love nothing more than Monaco being moved so F1 can race Indy.  (I'm not up on the history, but I assume Bernie moved Monaco to stop F1 drivers doing both)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Liberty interested in Indy?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:57:23 PM »
Monaco was the same week-end as Indy going back to 1960. That was really odd since the 500 was an F1 points scoring race back then. It's moved a few times but has generally been the same week-end.

I hope it doesn't happen. The jury is still out for me on Liberty Media. Sometimes they talk like they're just Bernie Lite.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
I could just about see Liberty subtly nudging things to help a disgruntled Alonso to do Indy - it gives them a better chance of retaining Fernando in 2018.

I cannot see them directly putting a single dime into an event that is arguably more successful than the one they recently bought.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »
It makes sense for Liberty to take over Indy as it will increase open wheeled racing awareness in North American which now is ruled my NASCAR.  Indy Car needs more fans and an influx of cash and F1 needs more North American bums in seats.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
Alonso has to help interest in this years race and a win
should boost Indycar popularity.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle