collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes team orders  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Dare

Mercedes team orders
« on: April 29, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
Little early in my opinion.I'm thinking Bottas will
get the short straw in this one

Source Planet F1

Niki Lauda has confirmed that Mercedes will start using team orders as they try to counter the threat posed by Ferrari.

Lauda and Mercedes boss Toto Wolff were wincing in the garage as they watched the Scuderia continue to dictate the pace throughout the practice sessions at the Russian Grand Prix.

And now the Silver Arrows have changed their strategy ahead of Sunday's race and beyond.

"It is logical: 'If I cannot go as quick as my team-mate I have to give him room to fight Vettel," Lauda told BBC Sport.

"The biggest problem for [Valtteri] Bottas and Lewis [Hamilton] is Vettel now. He is the one to beat."

"In the past we had no team orders because we were dominating with both cars and there was no enemy, no-one could get in between.

"This year, the first three races, is completely different.

"Ferrari is competitive. Vettel is right there, makes no mistakes and gives us a real interesting fight.

"So our new policy has to be that if one driver of ours cannot go quicker than the other one then he has to think as a team and use his problems not to block the other one. But it is not a team order."

Lauda also said there would be no preferential treatment to one driver and team orders will apply to both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas.

He added: "So far Lewis was quicker, particularly in the last race, but these things can change, it works in both directions, we have to wait and see."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Mercedes team orders
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »
Merc wouldn't be on the back foot if they hadn't completely blown strategy in the first few races.  Ferrari looks fast today, though I didn't see Bottas make an obvious mistake, Lewis did, and that is why he isn't on pole.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »
According to Steve Matchett, the tires have a very narrow set up window. Merc is having trouble keeping temps and pressures stable, Ferrari has found the key.
Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »
Pure and simple - Ferrari is quicker at the moment.

Team orders have been part of this since the introduction of the radio.  Merc has had no need to use them in the past couple of years as both cars typically were reliable and in a class of their own with regard to pace.  Now, there is a serious challenger.  They can no longer afford to have Lewis, or Valteri held up by his teammate while trying to chase down a car of equal speed.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
 Good luck to you Niki trying to get Hammy to move over for Bottas - if you ever get brave enough to try of course.  :P

I read this as Merc have now established a 1 - 2 order and we all know what it is.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:42 PM »
We'll see.
Today may have an impact on that.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
Given the situation, I'm apt to assume "team orders" means extending rules that could apply either way, including "hold station" or "put eggs into whichever basket's strongest in a given race" rather than "put eggs into one driver's basket at all costs" for the moment.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »
I don't think Merc are daft enough to choose a driver already...no, I take that back.  They probably are that daft...they're still paying Niki to spoil the scenery.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle