collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 526
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sauber choose Honda for 2018  (Read 7777 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Sauber choose Honda for 2018
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
 :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:

What else I could say? Who in their sane mind would want to choose an engine that has been a laughing stock of the paddock, who is seeking another engine suppliers consultation to improve its own??

I am just speechless..

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39761616

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

Re: Sauber choose Honda for 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
$$$$.  Sauber has none, Honda has plenty.  Sauber us at the back of the field with an antique Ferrari that they have to pay for, why not toodle around with a Honda they don't.

Still sour that there is so much Swiss money in F1, but not a rappin (that's what we call our pennies) in Sauber.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
It actually makes more sense than what they have now.

The way I see it, they have nothing to lose, and, if Honda can get their act together (year 3 approaching), it would be much better than what they have at present.  And, as Scott points out, why pay for something that isn't doing them any good, when they can get something with some potential for nothing - free?
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
At least Honda will have someone they can
compete with.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
There are rumors of McLaren going back to Mercedes. Honda might need a team as much as Sauber needs the money.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
There are rumors of McLaren going back to Mercedes. Honda might need a team as much as Sauber needs the money.
I read that too... might be a good gamble to become the works team if Honda are in for the long haul.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
I hope it works out better than their link up with BMW did.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
I read that too... might be a good gamble to become the works team if Honda are in for the long haul.

By works team you mean like when BMW tried for years unsuccessfully to take the WCC only to dump it all on it's rear end when it suited.  ::) 

Honda tie up sounds more like a get rich scheme for Kaltenborn to me :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
Exactly - when BMW dropped Sauber, they sold it back to Peter Sauber for millions.  They probably figure when Honda bails out of the sport again, they will sell the team back for $1 like they did for Brawn.

Kaltenborn is already rich, she just wants to save the team and maybe some dignity.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
It's win-win for Sauber.

They can't finish 11th this year, so even if there's a new entrant in 2018, it would take until 2019 for the team to be removed from the top 10 rankings - and who, exactly, is going to steam into the sport when Manor's stuff is being auctioned next week?

Honda will pay quite a bit of money for Sauber to take their engines, which Ferrari... ...won't. That's money Sauber can invest into being ready for the 2020 regulation changes. It's money that can be used to attract sponsors, thereby increasing their ability to improve the chassis still further.

Then, by 2020... ...either Honda will have improved, in which case Sauber will rise with the tide, or Honda will have a chassis and financial base attractive to another manufacturer who'll charge a more reasonable rate for a current engine. The only way Sauber can lose is if the economy implodes before the end of 2018 (in which case Honda will probably leave before the 2020 system and a brand new dawn begins).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:32:50 AM »
It's win-win for Sauber.

They can't finish 11th this year, so even if there's a new entrant in 2018, it would take until 2019 for the team to be removed from the top 10 rankings - and who, exactly, is going to steam into the sport when Manor's stuff is being auctioned next week?

That's the reason they choose to run year old engines this term, can't finish lower than 10th - which is a cash paying position - but you can save a good deal of money on engines. Better to survive to fight another day.  ;)

Not sure I agree with your long term outlook Alia. Since the constructors championship began in 1958 no chassis manufacturer based outside Britain - except Ferrari of course - has ever won the constructors title. Even Matra in 1969 was really Ken Tyrell's outfit under a different name.

Whilst I'm sure Sauber will appear attractive to some investors post 2019 if they are in good shape from results & finances. I'm not certain any large manufacturer will see them as a route to conquering F1 though - history says otherwise.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Can't happen because it never has?  Pretty skeptical outlook on things.

Wasn't so many years ago that Sauber had the most cutting edge wind tunnel and supercomputer setup along with a respectable factory.  Of course the FIA made the wind tunnel redundant, but otherwise they are only small steps from the top three teams capabilities.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:54:13 PM by Scott »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
It's win-win for Sauber.

That's the reason they choose to run year old engines this term, can't finish lower than 10th - which is a cash paying position - but you can save a good deal of money on engines. Better to survive to fight another day.  ;)

Not sure I agree with your long term outlook Alia. Since the constructors championship began in 1958 no chassis manufacturer based outside Britain - except Ferrari of course - has ever won the constructors title. Even Matra in 1969 was really Ken Tyrell's outfit under a different name.

Whilst I'm sure Sauber will appear attractive to some investors post 2019 if they are in good shape from results & finances. I'm not certain any large manufacturer will see them as a route to conquering F1 though - history says otherwise.

Since 1973 no team based outside of the EU has won the WCC.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 03:02:02 PM »
Brexit will change that.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:37 PM »

Even if they had, I would have said it was too early to interpret "win-win" for Sauber as world titles at such close proximity as 2020. What I mean is that Sauber will end up in a better position doing this than it would have done had it stuck with last year's Ferraris - given that it won't be able to pay for this year's Mercedes, the only other engine offer on the table. They won't do a Brawn, but they could do a Force India.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle