collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 272
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel to Mercedes?  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Scott

Vettel to Mercedes?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
Maybe it's not headline news...I think Vettel would be foolish to not give Ferrari another go, especially with the equipment they have been giving him lately.  Maybe they should just trade Vettel for Hamilton and let both see how the grass is on the other side.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/ferrari/news/vettel-has-mercedes-pre-agreement_297734.html

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Vettel to Mercedes?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
I guess a pre-agreement could mean anything from them being first in line to talk if he decides to leave Maranello right through to an actual promise of a race seat, so surely this is just the sort of thing that goes on all the time behind the scenes for the top few.

I note that the word option has not been used, this is usually the wording when something definitely is in place - either in the teams favour or the driver.

From Mercs side have they anything to gain from taking the matter further if Lewis delivers another WDC and the pair deliver a WCC? However if Vettel wins the crown will he have anything to gain by leaving Ferrari?

The only scenario that I can see causing Merc to drop Lewis is if Bottas wins the WDC and Hammy fails to score enough to get Merc the WCC.

I certainly think Vettel has the harder choice to make - if it's offered of course.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
I think Merc are hedging their bets that Hamilton has already decided to move on after 2017.  Chances are also good that if he has already decided, then his destination would most likely be Ferrari (unlike Alonso, Hamilton seems to be able to sniff out up-and-coming teams, and I think Ferrari are really on an upswing).  Ferrari have been fickle in their treatment of Vettel, so I suppose Vettel is also sniffing around.  The other side is that Hamilton may want to be (and may be contractually) the only WDC on the team.

But you're right.  Pre-agreement is a pretty vague term - in fact by definition would actually mean 'in negotiation'.

Lewis may want to be a WDC on three different teams during his career.  That would be a record to hold.  I don't think there have been any WDC's on three different teams, have there?  Certainly not 4.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
Juan Manuel Fangio won WDC's with 4 different teams: Alfa Romeo in 1951, Mercedes in 1954 & 1955, Ferrari in 1956 & Maserati in 1957.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »
Vettel loves F1 very much.  (Certainly most drivers do, but I feel that Vettel sees his place in F1 history wheras the other drivers are much more in the moment.)

He's won championships.  He's raced for Ferrari (just as important to an F1 driver as winning a championship).  Next up:  racing for his 'home' team. 

Most F1 drivers compare themselves to Senna (and why not?) but Vettel compares himself to Schumacher.  Schumacher raced for Mercedes.  Schumacher made F1 very popular in Germany.  I think Vettel would like to do both, and a German leading a German team might do that.  (Rosberg outdrove Schumacher, and won a WDC, but I don't know that he was ever the 'leader' of Mercedes).  Even with a Ferrari championship... ESPECIALLY with a Ferrari championship... Vettel going to Mercedes will help his 'legacy' as an F1 icon.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:00:49 AM »
So Jeri a Vettel Lewis swap?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
So Jeri a Vettel Lewis swap?

It would be logical.  However, I think Vettel would love a Prost/Senna style showdown between himself and Hamilton.  I'm not sure Hamilton would go for that, especially if he trails Bottas at decision time.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:08:35 PM »
Hamilton is always yapping about being the Best. I would think he'd welcome a head to head battle.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »
I think Hamilton knows he has more to lose than gain by doing a head to head with another WDC at this stage in his career.  If Vettel joined alongside and proved to be faster, Hamilton's star would lose some lustre as would his pay scale.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »
I think Hamilton knows he has more to lose than gain by doing a head to head with another WDC at this stage in his career.  If Vettel joined alongside and proved to be faster, Hamilton's star would lose some lustre as would his pay scale.

Maybe Liberty can be convinced to let teams run three cars again.  An Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton teamup/showdown could be the most epic season in F1 history.  It would be risky for Lewis to do it for sure, but Liberty might be able to sweeten the pot a little bit, maybe amend the Concord to give teams a one time bonus for employing previous champions.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »
What a lot of assumptions!
Vettel is known to have clauses within his contract to veto who drives with him so a Vettel, Lewis and or Alonso clash is unlikely.
Lewis has always said that he does not mind who the other driver is!
The Fangio comparison is very difficult as the racing rules were different including being allowed to take your teammates car to finish the race which Fangio did with Peter Collins.
A lot of drivers are out of contract this year so interesting times ahead.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 04:32:26 AM »
I don't think Lewis minds who his teamie is either as long as he's
giver number one status.I don't know how good Bottas and Lewis
are getting along but if Bottas starts beating him look for another
Nico-Lewis relationship
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »
Nico-Lewis relationship

Lewis did state that he's never had number one status or ever requested it and Mercedes haven't contradicted that..
Its a shame we cannot see some of these contracts just to find out what's in them.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »
Nico-Lewis relationship

Lewis did state that he's never had number one status or ever requested it and Mercedes haven't contradicted that..
Its a shame we cannot see some of these contracts just to find out what's in them.

Schumacher is probably the last driver to have it written into his contract.  With ever shifting 'rules' about team orders, it would be a problem if a contract was suddenly nullified.  Any 'number one' status would be unofficial handshake agreements, except where it becomes obvious in the points as the season goes on.

I'd believe that Mercedes and Hamilton never even 'shook on it'.  Sometimes these things happen organically.  The engineers and mechanics just work better for one particular driver, either because it's clear which basket to put the eggs in, or they just like one driver better than the other.  (I'm sure there was some truth to the English workers at McLaren getting along better with the English rookie over the Spanish champion, even if it never was on purpose.)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »
At the end of the day Jeri its all speculation as the contract are not released we'll never know.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle