collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 287
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren Calls for F1 Return to Indy  (Read 2598 times)

Offline cosworth151

McLaren Calls for F1 Return to Indy
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
Zak Brown, the Executive Director of McLaren, has called for F1 to return to The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

"Formula 1 at IMS works," Brown said. "I think they've changed the configuration of the track a little bit. I think it makes sense for Formula 1 to be at the world's greatest racetrack. I think the city of Indianapolis is well-catered to take care of Formula 1, just like it did in the past, and Super Bowl.

"I think the drivers like it. I think Indianapolis is easy to get to geographically. I realize it may not have the glamour of some of the other markets that are being spoken about, but it's here, it's ready to go. I think economically, given that (new F1 owner) Liberty (Media) is taking a different view on some of their future partnerships, I think there is an opportunity there. Personally, I'd like to see it happen."

I couldn't have said it better myself.  :good:

http://autoweek.com/article/indy-500/why-not-indycar-formula-1-doubleheader-indianapolis-motor-speedway

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: McLaren Calls for F1 Return to Indy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »
Besides, Indy is just like fan favourite Brazil, where the drivers will need armed guards!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:21:15 PM »
Not at all. One incident with a couple of juvenile delinquents doesn't compare at all.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
I may be a bit biased, having grown up only 40 miles from Indy and having been there for the 500 many times, along with all but one of the Formula 1 races there.  We missed the Michelin "event" thank goodness.

Indy is a race enthusiast's must see destination though, F1 race aside.

The changes to the circuit have made it much more of a challenge for drivers I think, and the banking is all but removed completely.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »
Besides, Indy is just like fan favourite Brazil, where the drivers will need armed guards!

Any city has a section where you'd best stay out of it....especially
after the sun goes down
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
I beg to differ.  Zurich, Bern, Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa are all the cities I am very familiar with and have walked through comfortably in the early hours of the morning without even a moment of being nervous or have the slightest concern of which part I happen to be in. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »
I've often done the same in Indy over the years I traveled there for my company.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
I've often done the same in Indy over the years I traveled there for my company.

I guess Dixon should have walked to Taco Bell then.I find it hard to
believe there are citie around the world you can stroll thru without
any worries of crime.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 01:44:26 AM »

I guess Dixon should have walked to Taco Bell then.I find it hard to
believe there are citie around the world you can stroll thru without
any worries of crime.

Some cities can be deceiving. Take Sheffield, where I studied for quite a while. Most of the city centre is perfectly safe to walk through at night... ...except for one small road that visitors usually overlook (Frog Walk). Student residents are warned away from that one because it seems like an entire city centre's worth of crime happen there after the sun starts to set, including an average of one rape per semester. But most casual visitors never go near the place since it's not particularly near the shops (it's basically the fastest route between some of the student housing and the pub quarter).

I'm guessing that Indy Taco Bell is in a somewhat larger version of that effect - most visitors to the Indy track (at least at the wealth level of those drivers) wouldn't have any true need to be in that sector, locals know to avoid it, but not everyone has local knowledge of small crime hotspots.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 05:40:45 AM »
I like to think of Taco Bell as a crime all by itself  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle