collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: RIP Roger Moore  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Scott

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

Re: RIP Roger Moore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »
He always played that quintessential English Gentlemen so well.

RIP Roger Moore

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
He never took himself to serious.That's why he was so
well liked.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »
He never took himself to serious.That's why he was so
well liked.

I agree that Moore always seemed to be enjoying life.  Few people have that luxury, so I hope he genuinely did.

One of my all time favourite jokes on The Simpsons was Comic-Book Guy offering a portrait of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore.

I always imagined that Moore would love that sort of joke and Connery would hate it.  (Which leads me to imagining Connery shouting 'F--king Shimpshons!' at his television which is even funnier.)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:32 PM »
 :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »
R.I.P. Rog, 89 is not a bad innings.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »
I'll always remember him as Simon Templar from The Saint & Brett Sinclair from The Persuaders. Here in the States, he also had one season on the classic western series Maverick. His character Beau Maverick replaced James Garner's Bret Maverick when Garner left the series to make movies.

R.I.P., Mr. Moore.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
Best bond by far, the most expressive eyebrow in the world. A greatman RIP.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 01:25:50 AM »

Best Bond? Mmmmmm I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 01:58:12 AM »

Best Bond? Mmmmmm I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

I certainly count Moore's Bond movies amongst the worst, but I do think that Moore himself plays the cocksure gentleman spy better than the others.

Legend has it that Bond was inspired by Christopher Lee... Moore was far more Christopher Lee than any other Bond.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
Not the best Bond, but he wasn't the worst either and I still enjoyed his performances regardless.  It's sad that he is no longer with us.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
This little story says it all about Roger

This story about Sir Roger Moore meeting a fan is incredible

Sir Roger Moore has died after a battle with cancer – and his passing marks the departure of a bonafide screen legend.
But while his heroic on screen credentials are unquestionable, it seems that he was every bit a brilliant man off screen too.

Sir Roger Moore's James Bond films are returning to cinemas with proceeds going to UNICEF
Scriptwriter Marc Haynes gave proof of this by sharing his experience of meeting Sir Roger Moore on two separate occasions.

The first came during the 1980s, when Marc was a young boy and spotted Sir Roger Moore at Nice Airport – before pleading with his granddad to ask the Bond star for an autograph.
The second meeting, of which we won’t divulge too much, comes decades later – and it is an exchange that shows Sir Roger to be a man of unquestionable class.
Here’s his incredible story.
What a man. What a legend.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
I think this is what you tried to post Dare, a great anecdote about a true screen legend and James Bond.
(Lately sites are getting better at stopping others nicking content Dare, I had to try several sites before I could copy and paste it - glad you started the thread though it's worth the read.) :good:

Marc Haynes' touching Roger Moore ancedote in full

As a seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper.

I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'.

My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over.

When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here."

He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport.

He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:18:11 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
I thought Roger Moore was great as Bond, tongue in cheek but good.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle