collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Kubica Replace Palmer at Renault?  (Read 6695 times)

Online cosworth151

Will Kubica Replace Palmer at Renault?
« on: June 08, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
Robert Kubica returned to an F1 car Tuesday. He logged 115 laps in a Renault. It looks like Montreal might be the make or break race for Jolyon Palmer.

I was one of many people who thought Kubica would have a great F1 career. That was before his 2011 rally shunt. I wonder how he'll do after a 6 year break.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Will Kubica Replace Palmer at Renault?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:43:28 PM »
His comments after the test sounded like he didn't think he was at a competitive level. He was talking about how much he'd lost.
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »
In the past he's said his injury prevented him from driving
certain tracks. And besides there's plenty of 15 year olds
waiting to get in F1 bought by rich parents or sponsons
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
I think it would be a bit of a reach to put him in a race seat.  Maybe reserve driver and swap him in for a couple of races, but it would be a big gamble to give him a race seat.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
I think it would be a bit of a reach to put him in a race seat.  Maybe reserve driver and swap him in for a couple of races, but it would be a big gamble to give him a race seat.

Not such a big gamble.  An F1 driver's job is to attract sponsors.  Winning is a good way to do that, but since Renault isn't going to win, the next best way is get a driver who is going to get people talking. 

Also, if Renault looks at 2017 as a development year, having an experienced driver will provide more feedback than tossing a youngster in the deep end will.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
I agree. As we say here in the hills, the chances of Alonso being at Renault next season are slim & none, and Slim left town.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:59:30 PM »
According to Steve Matchett of NBC, Kubica's goal is a shot at FP 1 and a 2017 car at a GP this year.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
He is not going to drive in a race this season.  At best, he may appear in a practice session, but I don't think that he believes he can deliver the level of performance that he would wish to.  I would be very surprised if his career in Formula 1 were to restart in any meaningful way.

As for Palmer, he is definitely under pressure.  He hasn't done anything really awful and he has had a lot of reliability problems, but he is lacking pace relative to his team mate.  Renault has produced a car capable of regularly finishing in the lower reaches of the top ten, and Palmer has yet to get anywhere near that level of performance.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
I think Robert is 2-3 years away from any sort of F1 race, because he's not the type to rush heedless into things. I could, however, see this as a prelude to a lower-level single-seater campaign, dovetailed with something else such as a sportscar or Renault Clio Cup campaign.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Dare

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
With the changes at Sauber it looks like Palmer is safe for
the time being
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
With the changes at Sauber it looks like Palmer is safe for
the time being

Care to explain your thinking there Dare?  :confused:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
Following the second test, are people still thinking the same?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kubica in the Renault next year. I guess they just need to see how he copes with the extra down force and tight left handers before making any kind of final decision.

That aside, he certainly still seems to have what it takes.

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
Great to read today that Kubica is going to be part of Hungary test on August 2nd.

The opportunity to drive the current car and be compared directly to the current drivers will hopefully show that despite the increased physicality needed to drive this seasons' cars, that he still has what it takes and will be capable of a return to F1.

The guy has an amazing talent and I hope it plays out for him, even if it is at the expense of Palmer.

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:44 PM »
Kubica will be 33 in December. A age that many might consider
getting too old for F1 for many that haven't missed years because
of a injury. Be better to invest in a younger driver.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »
If he can come close to Hulkenberg's times, Palmer is in trouble. I don't know if Palmer has some sort of problem, but he has been .5 second or more slower than Hulk all season. He struggles to make Q2 when Hulk is getting into Q3 frequently. Renault has to be thinking of replacing JP.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle