collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 511
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Canada GP track guide  (Read 4388 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
F1 Canada GP track guide
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »
Those nice F1.com people offer a virtual lap of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

- Well that's not so nice, you have to go to youtube to watch it.  ::) 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:09:01 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: F1 Canada GP track guide
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
I hope Phil gets a ton of pictures (he's a hobby photographer, so he'll have a good camera with him). 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
Well, that was fun...

I think Canada was one of the best races so far this year.  Unfortunately nobody could bring it to Lewis (the Max fans will suggest he probably could have, but I doubt it). 

Heroes

Lewis for a dominant weekend, and showed the Ferrari still needs to bring it a small notch higher to catch Merc on high speed circuits.

DR for holding off the two pink cars.

Vettel for finding a way back to the top 4 after having his front wing hacked off in a move by Max, which reminded me of Trump trying to get to the front of the pack at the NATO meeting for a photo op.  I think Vettel might have had Daniel if there had been another couple of laps.  No foul for Ferrari's strategy change to the Ultra's for the last stint even though the pundits were scratching their heads when he came in to pit.

Bottas for holding on to second, but clearly he doesn't have as much of a grip of the car as Lewis on high speed tracks.

Perez for insisting he should stay ahead and try to overtake DR.  I don't think Ocon would have had any more luck as their cars don't appear to run well in the RBR wake even with DRS open.  Perez was ahead of Ocon on merit, so no reason to swap them out in my opinion.  Vettel made a meal of both of them in less than 2 laps, so I don't think the order swap would have made any difference in that case either.

Stroll for getting a couple of points for Williams after Grosjean's punt of Saint took out Massa.  Stroll provided some great fun watching him duke it out with Palmer, and did himself proud in front of his home crowd.  I hope he settles into the Williams and has a few more good finishes this year so he is retained.

Zeroes

Well, lets start with Max.  Some will call it a brilliant start, I would like to see if he didn't actually have a jump start.  When his car stopped a few laps later, I thought maybe it ran out of gas and that was why it was so light on the grid and able to fly off the start like that.  Anyway, barging through and across Vettel's front wing was a crappy thing to do, and Seb had no chance to prevent damage.  Karma bit him 10 laps down the road when his battery failed.  As usual, he thinks he can just pinball off the other cars and force his way through like Trump looking for a TV camera  :D :D (did I already say that?).

Honda.  Really?  2nd last lap?  I know there were a lot of fingers crossed, but almost making it to the points isn't quite the same as making it to the points.  Mclaren Audi?  One can only dream...

Force India for suggesting to Perez that if he lets Ocon by, and Ocon has no luck, then they will make him give the place back.  I doubt they would be able to take away his highest finish yet by asking him to step back a place for Perez.  Force India should just let them race.  Ocon was good about it after the race, holding interviews with a big smile and not really putting it on Perez personally.  I think if Ocon had been able to pull up to Perez more when he had DRS and Perez didn't, then I would make the call from the pits, but he never really managed to even make an attempt until the very end, and that was a bit optimistic as his escape road move showed.

Grosjean for punting Sainz out of the race and into Massa.  They were so lucky as that sliding car almost took out 3 or 4 more cars.  I would give Grosjean a major spanking in the press if I was Haas, especially after all his whining openly about the car this season.

Swisscom for allowing my internet to die a few laps into the race, and then having to endure a furious daughter interrupting my enjoyment of the broadcast to come down and give me heck because she couldn't watch her teenie shows on youtube. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:54:07 AM by Scott »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
NBC showed Grosjean's in car camera. It showed that Sainz cut over on Roman. He could either hit Sainz or the guard rail.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
NBC showed Grosjean's in car camera. It showed that Sainz cut over on Roman. He could either hit Sainz or the guard rail.
I saw that one too, but my read was a bit different.  Grosjean was half on the grass coming out of the previous corner and then he jigged back onto the track and caught Sainz who was already going for that same piece of asphalt.  As Grosjean was behind, I would give that right of way to Sainz.  Wish there was a decent overhead view to confirm yours or my take on it.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
I saw that one too, but my read was a bit different.  Grosjean was half on the grass coming out of the previous corner and then he jigged back onto the track and caught Sainz who was already going for that same piece of asphalt.  As Grosjean was behind, I would give that right of way to Sainz.  Wish there was a decent overhead view to confirm yours or my take on it.

My view of it was Sainz was going wide and suddenly turned in.  At that phase of the race, Grosjean shouldn't be expecting that sort of move.  Sainz should have known there wasn't room to make the move, just as Verstappen should have known he was going to clip Seb (wonder if Seb went to visit his old friends to talk about the guy who replaced the last guy he want to talk with them about)

I really think that Max needs a penalty for what he did to Seb.  If we're in for a tight championship, that might be the deciding moment.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »
The stewards apparently agree with you both...so I'll let it go and switch blame to Sainz. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130096/sainz-gets-grid-penalty-for-grosjean-clash

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
Heroes:

Hamilton - the statistics for the race say everything. This was a classy victory.

Vettel - 4th with a damaged car was also classy. We are in for a great title fight.

Ocon - for neither hitting anyone during that rather difficult last few laps, nor (as far as I know) hitting Perez after the race. While I am sympathetic to the Force India/Perez stance, I think Ocon was more correct in this instance - and also drove better in general than his more illustrious team-mate.

Honourary mention: Stroll for getting some points. On his home turf. And celebrating properly. One of the happiest 9th-place finishers I've had the fortune to see on my TV screen.

Zeroes:

Stewards - giving a tiny penalty to Sainz for wrecking two other drivers' races was already not impressive, as it gives drivers incentive to wreck races. Going one further, and wrecking Kyvat's race, was the rotten cherry on top of the rancid cake.

The stewards gave Kyvat 5 seconds of penalty for a jump start. He took it. So far, so reasonable. Then the stewards issued another 10 seconds of penalty because the first penalty was wrong.

There is no such thing as a 15-second penalty. It just doesn't exist. 10 seconds, yes. 20 seconds, yes. But not 15. And not because the stewards picked the wrong option out of a list where the originally-selected option was permitted. (Had the rules specified the penalty or penalty options, and the stewards initially said something else, that's another matter). 5 seconds is an allowed penalty type for that penalty due to how the regulations for F1 are written. So is 10, 20 or 30. 15 is not. Because of that, Kyvat's car overheated on the second stop, causing a retirement.

So Daniil got a DNF because of shoddy stewarding. It's been a while since I've seen such bad stewarding.

Honda - I think I saw Fernando drafting his retirement letter somewhere in the engine smoke.

Sainz - the only good thing about Carlos' sorry excuse for a race was that he actually was sorry about it.

Dishonourary mention: Channel 4. If you're going to advertise a F1-rivalry-related program, please do the decent thing and broadcast it. Don't swap it for Gogglebox!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »

I really think that Max needs a penalty for what he did to Seb.  If we're in for a tight championship, that might be the deciding moment.

Sorry Jeri have to disagree Seb's focus was on tying to close out Bottas and left a barn door open round the outside.

Much as I hate to say it, I'm no Max lover, Max was in his rights to charge through the barn door Seb left and was clearly enough in front of Seb at his turn in point to have the right to the track.

If anything it was Seb's own fault for trying to pull to the right, he was not going to pass Bottas and was seeking to take a wider line in to carry speed to closely follow the Merc out to try to jump him at the next opportunity.

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
I'm very late to this one and most things have already been said.
Hamilton's great weekend made a real statement - especially taking the fastest lap on old 'slow' tyres!
I stick with my view of Verstappen - he is wild and is going to injure somebody when his luck runs out. I do not like Vettel but he did hois best to avoid what could have been a serious accident with Verstappen just 'throwing' his out of control car up the inside.
The Sainz and Kyvat penalties debacle - what a joke! I like Sainz but this was a terrible mistake and he should have been penalised heavily during the rtace. As for Kyvat, I think there should be a double jeopardy rule. Whatever penalty is applied, sticks - no second chances. Even if 5seconds was too lenient there is no way a completely arbitrary additional 10seconds could be considered 'reasonable'.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »

My view of it was Sainz was going wide and suddenly turned in.  At that phase of the race, Grosjean shouldn't be expecting that sort of move.  Sainz should have known there wasn't room to make the move,

I'm in total agreement with you that Sainz was totally in the wrong. It was best summed up by someone who was being interviewed on Motors.comTV by Peter Windsor: -

"Why did Sainz move to the right when they were effectively going round two right hand corners with a straight in between?

Who in their right mind would want to occupy the right hand side of the track when the left hand is natural to set you up for turning into the apex of the next right?

Also why were the stewards so lenient with what is effectively a lunge to the right on a straight to deny another car track space?"    :confused:   :confused:    :confused:  :confused:

The FIA F1 sporting regs has this to say:-

20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »
Can't take the credit for that, it was Jeri's quote....I had (as usual to you John), the opposing view.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
It was an exciting race to start with and there was quite a bit of tension throughout regarding the Force India battle, but the race at the front was decided pretty early on.  This was a very impressive performance from Mercedes and Ferrari were lucky that Vettel managed to get back to fourth place.

Verstappen's move was fair enough in my book, and clipping Vettel's wing was quite unlucky, however, I still do not like his attitude.  He is very petulant when his car goes wrong.  I would like to see more maturity from him.  Some of his moves have been questionable in the past too, so I think that it is reasonable to scrutinise him.

Regarding the Force India team orders question, I've no strong feelings either way.  If they were going to implement a reversal though, it needed to be communicated more forcefully and clearly.  It seemed to me that the management were being too cautious in their communications.  It was another very good result for the team regardless.

I'm pleased for Stroll that he scored his first points, but I remain to be convinced that he is a top line driver, while I don't think that I'm ever going to be persuaded that Honda can produce a top line engine.  This was another humiliation for Honda.  Alonso keeps delivering incredible performances, in spite of the power unit, but there is no reliability and no performance.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle