collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jacques Villeneuve Calls Stroll "Worst Rookie Ever"  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Irisado

Re: Jacques Villeneuve Calls Stroll "Worst Rookie Ever"
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
I'd opt for him out of those three too.  Here are some stats.

Deletraz qualified 25th for his debut at Adelaide in 1994.  His qualifying time was 2.3 seconds slower than that set by his team mate (Hideki Noda, who was a mediocre pay driver himself).  He was 6.2 seconds off pole, which, given he was driving a Larrousse that was normally around 2.5-3 seconds off the pace of the front runners, was not flattering to him.  He spent most of the race running in penultimate or last position before eventually retiring with gearbox failure after 56 laps.  I suppose it could be argued that he didn't crash, but the counter argument would be that he wasn't going anywhere near fast enough to make a mistake.

1995 was even worse.  At the 1995 Portuguese Grand Prix, he qualified the Pacific 24th and last, 14 seconds from pole, and six seconds slower than his team mate (Andrea Montermini).  He was lapped twice inside 14 laps in the race before retiring with cramp.  At the European Grand Prix he qualified 24th and last again, nine seconds from pole and three seconds slower than Montermini.  He finished 15th and last seven laps behind and demonstrated some curious race craft, as this video shows:

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
I'd give a shout out to one Bernard Ecclestone. I believe he failed to even qualify.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »
I'm glad to see Lance on podium even though it was more by
others misfortunes than his driving. They interviewed his Dad and
Day couldn't be prouder or happier.

Dad made a good point in that since there's no qualifying drivers
get their experience thru races and not testing. So he is improving
and I'd like nothing more than Lance to prove Jacques wrong
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »
Pretty funny JV playing the rich kid card...doubtful JV would have found a way into racing without his famous name or family backing.  I'll grant he did well, but so might Stroll.

In the comments below the story I noticed that someone pointed out Pat Symonds said that upon Lance Stroll's arrival in F1, no rookie has had as many miles of testing under his belt since...wait for it...Jacques Villeneuve.   :DD :DD 

I wonder what happened, did JV ask for a ride home on Lance's jet and was told no or something?  Seems awfully spiteful for a countryman and fellow rich kid racer.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:58:12 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
I never gave Lance much of a thought until his podium and JV comments.
He seems like a nice kid and I hope he remains as such. Remember Vettel's
forst year? A nice kid happy to be in F1...how times change.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 11:02:30 PM »
When JV came to F1 it was into a championship winning Williams with lots of testing so obviously you would expect him to fare better but it has got to the stage that he has now become a troll and only makes a comment that he expects a reaction from. Forget him and move on.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
I'd give a shout out to one Bernard Ecclestone. I believe he failed to even qualify.

That's a very good shout.  Wasn't he around 6 minutes off the pole time too?  I seem to remember that he was.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle