collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 615
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: My first F1 experience.  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Philbe

My first F1 experience.
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »
June 11, Montreal Canada, it's 10 am and we are getting off the metro and exiting the station at the venue. Holy sh*t it's windy. The first impression is WTF...where's the track. We have to go where? An island? A short 20 minute walk past the Biodome and the ticket scalpers we are hearing the first sounds of excitement. Porsche Cup cars. We are walking past the hairpin as they are exploding down the main straight. I stop and watch and lose sight of my companions (not the fist time). If I had a 911 it would have to sound like these race cars. Anyhow, about an hour later the Ferrari Challange cars have their final of the weekend. If I had a Ferrari, it would have to sound like....nevermind. It was amazing to hear them and I could tell the difference between the 488 and the 458 based cars. The it was on to the main event. It started with a parade of drivers.

and then a few cars...

and here you get a good idea of where we were siting..
Final thoughts...I'll go again because the experience is pretty epic. There are so many people from around the world all there because they are fans of the sport. However, I would much rather watch it on TV. I had no idea when it was over or what happened to Seb. The cars were a lot louder than I thought they would be, and the tone was quite deep not at all screamee. Ear plugs next time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:35:47 PM by Philbe »

Online Jericoke

Re: My first F1 experience.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:42 AM »
Looks like you did it right!  Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Best part of watching on TV is the live chat on GPWizard

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:48:26 AM »
Like others on here I have been to a few and my Canadian experience was the best, I was there at the same time as Jeri although we never met up, the crowd of Canadians made me so welcome and I could see why those seats in Stand 11 have been in their families for over 20 years. I try to go to a GP each year, I've reached that age, but it does not always work out that way but I try, this year I am booked for the Malaysian GP and a good job I did as its the last one for now.
I quite agree that keeping track of the runners and riders is tricky and a big screen is a must as are a pair mini binoculars to read it.
I cannot say that any circuit is better than an other but access to and from them varies greatly, Melbourne is very slick with the trams, Singapore was walking distance from my hotel and met my wife in Raffles (stayed in the bar not the hotel) bar 20 minutes after the finish, De Nevers Magny-Cours was difficult as its in the middle of nowwhere the police sent us off into the wilderness, Silverstone used to be horrendous now its just bad, Spa is not so bad although the car park needed tractors.
The sound is important V10's at 23,000 rpm were eardrum bursting but enjoyably so, V8 are alway good who doesn't like a V8, turbo's of any era are quiet lots of power but tooooooooo quiet. Then a V12 Ferrari on overrun! Ah!!

Good thread Philibe.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:02 AM »
So you've popped your cherry, good for you.  :yahoo:

Good pics, I know what you mean though about the spectacle on TV being vastly different to the limited views you get from the grandstands.

I reckon you get a better experience at Silverstone with the much cheaper general admission ticket and just wander at will round the track perimeter and catch the action on the parts of track with no grandstands. Would guess that's probably true for Spa?  :DntKnw:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
It's a whole different world there in person, isn't it? Give you an entirely new vision of the sport. Sounds like you had a great time. It looks like you had very good seats. The pix are outstanding. Especially Danny Ric's big grin.

It also looks like the local Austin Healey club had a hand in the drivers' parade.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:05:06 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:50:51 PM »
Good one Phil. Did you get near Carlos at any time. First
time I saw a college basketball game in person I liked
it better on tv too.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
Great pictures.  Were you there for the weekend or only raceday?  Did you explore the grounds a bit?  Don't book next year until I find a job, but Montreal is top of my GP bucket list.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
Great stuff Phil, great pics too, I've always loved the Healey 3000.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Philbe

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
We didn't wonder around to much. The areas behind the stands were filled with hot dog stands porta potties and of course beer tents. I got the impression that there really isn't grounds per say, I think there is tent city for the driver teams and their money but other than that..not much to see. We were there only for Sunday. I did get a pic of my boy Carlos but it didn't turn out. Maybe next year.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
We didn't wonder around to much. The areas behind the stands were filled with hot dog stands porta potties and of course beer tents. I got the impression that there really isn't grounds per say, I think there is tent city for the driver teams and their money but other than that..not much to see. We were there only for Sunday. I did get a pic of my boy Carlos but it didn't turn out. Maybe next year.

I was down at turn 1 which was a long walk and very little of the track to see on the way so you are quite right.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
Canada is likely my favorite of the races I have attended.  I've been there several times even with my wife a couple of them.  Our favorite seats are at 10, on the exit side. 

It looks like your seats were just up the straight from there.

I have been to a few of the other races, and while there is much to be said for the European circuits, Austion (USGP) is probably my second favorite.  Downtown Austin is amazing during that weekend with a downtown fan zone - free concerts and etc.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Philbe

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
If someone is thinking of attending the Montral GP I would say to make the most of the entire experience, go for at least Saturday and Sunday. There is easy access to the venue via the metro and the downtown is all about F1. Oh, and bring an ass pad for the bleacher style seating. Our seats were the only ones that were Sunday only so not the best as the cars were flying by the time they reached our position. Don´t go for general admission unless you get to the venue really early as viewing is limited.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:45 AM »
I can highly recommend Stand 11 at turn 1 it has a great views and a big screen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle