collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 601
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: JV Speaks  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Dare

Re: JV Speaks
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »
We all agree Seb was wrong but still IMO Hamilton could
have slowed before the turn not in it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
Another thing,it's been said Seb was following too close but
in races the racers are right on their tails at 200 mph so how
could it be too close at say 50 mph? Cars don't usually suddenly
slow at race speeds,maybe that will change too.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
it's been said Seb was following too close
It hasn't just been said - he was too close  ;)
The point is, it was his responsibility not to drive into the guy in front. At that time they were a long way away from the restart line so he should have kept further back. I think he knows that which is why he reacted so badly. He had made himself look an idiot so he tried to make it Hamilton's fault.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
it's been said Seb was following too close
It hasn't just been said - he was too close  ;)
The point is, it was his responsibility not to drive into the guy in front. At that time they were a long way away from the restart line so he should have kept further back. I think he knows that which is why he reacted so badly. He had made himself look an idiot so he tried to make it Hamilton's fault.

It was never clear what the stop/go penalty was for, if it was for the bump from behind, if it was for the wreckless driving (I don't think Vettel meant the side on side bump, but is still 100% responsible for it), or for the entire episode.

I think if Vettel had accepted he got away with not being disqualified, the FIA might have left it alone, but to continue whining about it ("what did I do wrong?") left the FIA no choice but to look into it further.  All sports require the participants respect the officials at all times, even if the officials have clearly gotten things wrong. 

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »
Perfect summary Jeri  :good:

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
Too right Jeri, all sportspeople should respect officials as they do in rugby union.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
Too right Jeri, all sportspeople should respect officials as they do in rugby union.

MLB umpires, NFL refs and NHL linesmen would love to get that kind of respect from the players.   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »

MLB umpires, NFL refs and NHL linesmen would love to get that kind of respect from the players.   ;)

Of course!  But players/coaches are regularly penalized for criticism of officiating.

NFL is probably the closest  to FIA officials, it's not their full time job, something they just do on weekends for fun.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
The RFU is about the only sport that shows due respect to the officials and the referee has the power to award a converted try if his authority is questioned or disregarded. The team captains are the only players who are allowed to approach the ref although that does not stop players asking a ref what they have done wrong. Even at the lowest leagues of the sport the ref is called Sir out of respect for his position. Take a look at Nigel Owens in action below.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GTaMYh1czgM
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
Vettel was lucky not to be disqualified, however, on balance, it was probably reasonable to just issue him with a penalty and points on his licence.  His manoeuvre was deliberate and intentional.  I think that a number of you are are confusing these two words with premeditation.  His move was not premeditated and that, for me, was the only reason not to disqualify Vettel, but he deliberately drove into Hamilton and he has to take responsibility for that.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Andy B

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »
Vettel was lucky not to be disqualified, however, on balance, it was probably reasonable to just issue him with a penalty and points on his licence.  His manoeuvre was deliberate and intentional.  I think that a number of you are are confusing these two words with premeditation.  His move was not premeditated and that, for me, was the only reason not to disqualify Vettel, but he deliberately drove into Hamilton and he has to take responsibility for that.

So on that theory road rage which is what it was is excusable as its not premeditated?
The only reason to have disqualified him was due to his previous offences and to send a message to everyone in motorsport that there is a standard to uphold to and it will be enforced at all levels.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 11:51:38 PM »

On a point of order here, did Vettel decide to move alongside Hamilton, after the initial shunt, gesticulate and then allow his car to steer towards Lewis or not?

Now unless you're suggesting an unconscious sort of sleepwalking was occurring premeditation must have taken place.

I fully understand that the first impact had no premeditation. However the heavy stop go nature of the penalty - and calling it dangerous driving - are not the usual 5 or 10secs added time for a simple 'causing a collision' charge.  :nono:

IMHO more attention was paid to the second part of the encounter by the stewards precisely because it was something Vettel consciously chose to do in response to a perceived - wrongly it's been proven - action from Lewis.

Now because F1 drivers are more capable of lightning fast decision making than most of us, the great unwashed, his choice can only be considered a plan, hence premeditation.

To put it another way if it's not premeditation it's something far worse - a driver so unable to control his anger he lashes out without thinking.     

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
I don't know what you guys are on about...in my opinion yes he did drive beside Hamilton and on PURPOSE drove into Hamilton in retaliation.  But my opinion is also that they could have DQ'd him right then and there, and I would have been miserable about my picks, but completely ok with him getting the correct penalty for the infraction.  But to stop-n-go him another 15 laps down the road, and then to re-visit it post race...sorry, they need to reform the stewarding and penalty process.  The steward needs to look at the infraction immediately and make a call within a couple of laps.  If the teams don't accept the call, they can post race appeal that should only affect the team's result in that race...no more next race grid penalties.

...just my opinion.

If the teams and drivers can't accept the decision during the race, they can appeal it afterward, but
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Willy

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 11:56:01 PM »
Ha Ha Dare.
Ya Jacques and I ...oh and Jeri are all Canadian and we all know each other as well.

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »
I think you'll also find Phil and I are Cannucks.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle