collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jacques puts foot in mouth again  (Read 2857 times)

Online Dare

Jacques puts foot in mouth again
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
I think Stroll's dad said it best. In unlimited testing of the
past new drivers learned thru testing. Now each race is a
learning experience. So for my part Lance is doing just fine

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/villeneuve-stroll-williams-podium-season-start-pathetic-925327/

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Jacques puts foot in mouth again
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
And on that note...Happy Canada Day!  :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »
Is Jacques not a troll as everything he say's is for a reaction and to be honest nothing of interest any more!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
Jacques Villeneuve has rarely said anything noteworthy and, as I've alluded to before, was very overrated as a driver too.  I think that a lot of what he says comes from his own frustration about the way in which his career declined over time.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »
Right place at the right time. There's been too many to name
drivers that if they had the opportunity to start out with a powerhouse
team that could have accomplished what JV did. Ok I'll name my one
Fisichella...he was fast as a rookie only to start with Minardi. When he
finally joined a top team he had to play second fiddle to Alonso.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 05:14:46 AM »
Too right Dare!
I could have achieved a lot if I had got a top drive.
If I got a drive!
Alright if I could drive!!  ::)
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
Villeneuve is only a name worth talking about when it has Gilles in front of it.

Controversial opinions only deserve consideration when they come from someone that was at the top of their game for a long time. John McEnroe and Chris Eubank are two sportsmen that spring to mind.Uncompromising in the things they say, but good enough at what they did to at least have their opinion considered.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
Villeneuve is only a name worth talking about when it has Gilles in front of it.

Controversial opinions only deserve consideration when they come from someone that was at the top of their game for a long time. John McEnroe and Chris Eubank are two sportsmen that spring to mind.Uncompromising in the things they say, but good enough at what they did to at least have their opinion considered.

JV won the Indy 500.  He won the last IndyCar championship before 'the split', he came in second place in his first F1 season, almost winning the WDC as a rookie, while racing against 3 Champions in Hill, Schumacher and Hakkinen.  When he won his championship there was a massive difference between his points total and his teammate (certainly comparison to drivers in equal equipment is often used as a yardstick in F1).  I think that his fifth place finish (again beating his teammate) in 1998 with a non 'factory' engine was a clear demonstration of competent driving.

Now, of course when he went to BAR for the money, his career took a nose dive.  I don't know if he was past his peak, or let his skills go soft, or if a few years driving poor cars broke his spirit.  His career definitely went out on a low note, but he has solid 5 solid top level racing seasons to his credit.

As for his opinion... part of being a WDC means people are going to ask about the sport.  Naturally Villeneuve is expected to comment on any Canadian F1 drivers just as Damon Hill makes his feelings known on British Drivers and I'm sure that Hakkinen does for his Finns.  Winning a championship doesn't automatically make you an oracle of wisdom, but having something constructive to say goes a long way to making a WDC into a legend (see:  Stewart, Jackie).  Villeneuve is in a tough spot, as there's not many Canadians for him to comment on.  If he goes all in supporting Stroll, and Stroll flames out, then he looks foolish for backing a dud.  So he's gone the opposite way:   he's either right, or Stroll succeeds, and there's a positive spin for Canadian F1 either way. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »

Actually Villeneuve is a nice little waterfront town on Lake of Geneva.  Quite pleasant.  I sometimes launch my sailboat there. :crazy: :crazy:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 11:01:48 PM »
Isn't it the alternative name for that restaurant (also known as Newtown) where David Richards spent over an hour waiting for service back in 2003 because he forgot to book in advance, thinking that he'd get a table easily because he was Jacques' boss?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:43:39 AM »
Isn't it the alternative name for that restaurant (also known as Newtown) where David Richards spent over an hour waiting for service back in 2003 because he forgot to book in advance, thinking that he'd get a table easily because he was Jacques' boss?
  That too.  Donald Trump says it's overrated.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »

Newtown got into legal trouble because all signs in Quebec must be in French.  I think a lot of people rallied around how absurd it was for a name to be in French, and the laws have relaxed a little when it comes to trademarks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle