collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 128
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

In the GG, define what the Pole is for the point award.

Pole is fastest driver in Q3, regardless of grid penalties
10 (76.9%)
Pole is car that starts race on Pole
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: August 09, 2017, 08:24:17 AM

Author Topic: What does your Pole pick mean?  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Scott

What does your Pole pick mean?
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:24:17 AM »
With all the grid penalties, the pole pick isn't so clear.  We have gone with whoever starts on pole is the pole pick, but perhaps we should re-visit that choice and ask what your preference is.  Please give some justification in a post after you choose.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

Re: What does your Pole pick mean?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
I think it should be the fastest driver in Q3.  Engine and component penalties are not achievements.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
Because I think grid penalties like Lewis' are stupid. Since I don't play GG tou are welcome to throw my vote out.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
I'm going with the fastest in Q3. We've seen times when an engine or gearbox change after quali has bumped a pole sitter back. There is no way to predict occurrences like that.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »
I'd like it to be the fastest time in Q3 as well.

It's a shootout, it's often the most exciting part of an F1 weekend.  I'd like to watch it and know if I got (or lost) my GG point instead of finding out the next day.

Now, if someone is disqualified from Q3 after the fact, then it's okay to switch to the driver with the fastest official time.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »

I'm sorry but I think it should be the car that starts on pole. It seems to me that more drivers have been removed from pole at a race start because of driving standards penalties than for a drop from new equipment use, I could be wrong but it feels that way.

Not sure the GG rules can be amended to enable a simple distinction for a penalty only being related to mechanical or electrical issues. The great strength of Wiz's GG is the minimal & easy to follow rules. 

I for one would be very annoyed if a driver could still retain the pole in our game when found guilty of dodgy driving standards. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:33:27 PM »

I'm sorry but I think it should be the car that starts on pole. It seems to me that more drivers have been removed from pole at a race start because of driving standards penalties than for a drop from new equipment use, I could be wrong but it feels that way.

Not sure the GG rules can be amended to enable a simple distinction for a penalty only being related to mechanical or electrical issues. The great strength of Wiz's GG is the minimal & easy to follow rules. 

I for one would be very annoyed if a driver could still retain the pole in our game when found guilty of dodgy driving standards.

To be clear, I'm not going to quit playing the GG if the rules aren't updated.  I don't think one side is 100% 'right' or 'wrong'.  I just like being able to win (or lose) something on Saturday.

I'm totally okay with the FIA shuffling the deck so cheaters never prosper.  We're just 'betting' on who sets the fastest lap, not who 'deserves' to sit on pole.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »

To be clear, I'm not going to quit playing the GG if the rules aren't updated.  I don't think one side is 100% 'right' or 'wrong'.  I just like being able to win (or lose) something on Saturday.

I'm totally okay with the FIA shuffling the deck so cheaters never prosper.  We're just 'betting' on who sets the fastest lap, not who 'deserves' to sit on pole.

Hey maybe that's the answer Jeri, we need to choose who sets  'fastest lap in Q3' not pole.  ;) 

Somehow though it doesn't seem right though,  :stop: Pole is such an iconic motor racing term isn't it. 

Can you imagine Tennis without Love.  :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
I'm sure most of you are aware that I run an F1 game for family and friends and we have "Pole - The driver who is fastest in Q3" this was because with busy lives and being like the GG played all over the world a driver being given a grid penalty after P3 disadvantaged anyone who was not watching every minute of the build up or maybe was was asleep at 0100 in the morning.
The argument that a driver who gets pole illegally due to driving standards or something the driver has done, M Schumacher in Monaco, and is then removed from pole because of that effectively never won pole in the first place. Cheats never prosper or so we like to think and the distinction between a driver penalty and constructor penalty are quite clear.
I'm not subscribing to the GG changing and I have a preference like everyone else but I signed up to play under the rules that the GG organisers set.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Dare

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:38 PM »
I think it would be best to keep it the way it is for
the rest the season. Maybe next we can have a vote on it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 01:30:30 AM »
I think it would be best to keep it the way it is for
the rest the season. Maybe next we can have a vote on it.

I quite agree Dare mid-season is not the time.

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:50:38 AM »
Andy how many years have toy had your game? How'd you
get the idea? Have you ever won and have you had any repeat winners?

How do you keep score? In the early years I did it by paper and pencil.
The past 5 years we"ve had a scoring system developed by Wiz that
does it all for you. As long as you enter the results right.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
We're not 'betting' on the driver who has received a penalty from the previous race, be it mechanical or driver infraction.  Like Andy said for his game, not everybody is available or interested enough to pay attention to who broke a gearbox in FP3.  As for driver infractions, the only effect it has is who to automatically NOT pick.  If you didn't happen to hear them mention who gets a grid penalty because the broadcast is in another language or you didn't spend enough time scouting F1 articles then you will find 'your guy' is starting 10 places back for cutting off a Ferrari during the last race or a FP.

It's just a game people.  There is no implied contract if you play or not, and I think we have massaged rule details in the past mid-season, so to wait much longer with the chaotic grid penalties almost every race, is pointless.  And really...we are talking about one point.  Nobody is suggesting making it retroactive, so really a simple fix.

But I think we can all have the discussion at least.  No rush, we can look at it again after a couple of races...I don't think most of us really count on getting much out of the GG other than a bit of fun, friendly competition and bragging rights.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
Andy how many years have toy had your game? How'd you
get the idea? Have you ever won and have you had any repeat winners?

How do you keep score? In the early years I did it by paper and pencil.
The past 5 years we"ve had a scoring system developed by Wiz that
does it all for you. As long as you enter the results right.

Port Nelson F1 Game started four years ago Dare while I was working and others there followed F1 to different degrees and none of them were interested in playing the GG so I put a spreadsheet together limiting players to ten although I have eleven this year. Each players has a team so becomes a team manager they select three drivers one from the top 5 teams of the previous season and two drivers from the rest, no drivers can be in the same team. A chassis such as Mercedes and an engine such as Ferrari but the engine you choose cannot be in the chassis you choose so when selecting your engine you have to designate the chassis its in so a Mercedes Chassis and Mercedes engine in a Williams is ok. Where your drivers finish and where both cars for you chassis and engine finish are your points. Then there's predictions for Pole, Rain, DNF's, Fastest lap, Safety car with 10 points for each one correct and a one off Double up. Rain is decided by one car completes a race lap on wets to intermediates. I calculate the result manually hence the limit on numbers.
I've won it a couple of times as has another guy I have also come last!
We used to have prizes but now its just for fun.
I could always email you a spreadsheet if your interested.

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
Scott's right, it's a GAME ( although I suspect there are prize hunters in it) and although the prizes Wiz has are great it's the 5 chequered flags by your name that's great.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle