collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 511
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel not signed for 2018  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Scott

Vettel not signed for 2018
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
Marchionne let it be known in the paddock that he would like to re-sign Vettel, but his wording was a bit odd, and I wonder if that isn't a bit contentious.  "I made it very clear that if he wants to stay then we'll just renew" to me sounds like there is no room for further negotiation.  I suspect Vettel is looking for a raise, or some other variables changed in his contract, so simply renewing isn't doing it for him.

https://www.pitpass.com/59578/Ferrari-waiting-on-Vettel

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Vettel not signed for 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
There is a glut of top level talent in F1

In the right car Vettel, Hamilton, Bottas, MV, DR and of course Alonso* are potential champions.

The next tier down, including Kimi, Grosjean and Perez*, would need a little luck to win championships in a top car, but it wouldn't be far fetched.

Ferrari doesn't need Vettel.  He doesn't seem to provide a German fan base the way Schumacher did, so while they're happy to have a competitive driver, they can probably find one who brings a bigger fan base for less money.

*Feel free to debate my lists: my point is, Vettel isn't a rare dominant driver, he's simply amongst the luckiest of a growing bunch of highly skilled drivers.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Maybe Vettel wants veto power over the choice of the second driver.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
Sergio already said he won't re-sign Alonso and that Alonso's management made enquiries, so maybe all the gossip is just negotiating ploys.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »
Sergio already said he won't re-sign Alonso and that Alonso's management made enquiries, so maybe all the gossip is just negotiating ploys.

Even so, Alonso's availability leaves Vettel with less negotiating power with other teams, even if he won't go to Ferrari.  If he can't get a better deal elsewhere, Ferrari wouldn't have to offer him a better deal to stay.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
It could work both ways.  Sending Alonso packing could mean a different ride is not available for Vettel, but suggesting that Alonso is still on the radar would also make Vettel's management nervous about not getting the Ferrari deal that they want, and if Bottas keeps showing up brilliant, then Merc won't even need the German.  Maybe Ferrari and RBR should just trade Vettel back for Verstappen.  He keeps breaking his toys.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:27 PM »
Lewis to Ferrari.
Bottas to Ferrari.
Vettel to Mercedes.
Alonso to Mercedes.

Just thinking out loud!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle