collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 263
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes leaving DTM  (Read 3101 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Mercedes leaving DTM
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »
After 18 successful years Mercedes will leave the DTM series to race in........FORMULA E

Those of us who think Formula E is a bit stupid will find this hard to swallow, but Merc once again says it will assist in the development of their future road cars.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130904/mercedes-to-quit-dtm-confirms-formula-e-team?utm_source=Autosport+Newsletter&utm_campaign=df270fd85f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_25&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_37b525b20e-df270fd85f-85608567

Lonny

Offline cosworth151

Re: Mercedes leaving DTM
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:06:22 PM »
Does that mean that Merc intends to build cars that need to be replaced after an hour's driving?  :confused:

Audi left LeMans and ended up in Formula Ick E.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
Some people think the "gas station" of the future will be a place where you swap out batteries. Or leave your communal car in exchange for another one that's charged up.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
Some people think the "gas station" of the future will be a place where you swap out batteries. Or leave your communal car in exchange for another one that's charged up.

Isn't that how the 'post' used to work?  The mail carrier goes from post to post, exchanging a tired horse for a fresh one?

It's a good idea in theory, but I'm not going to get into some strange car without knowing what the previous occupant did in it.  (And no, having cameras monitor what I do in the car isn't a trade off I'd make)

As for battery swaps -  I remember back in they day of video tape rental:  I got a tape that was so covered in something that it ruined my VCR.  I never rented a VHS again.  I'm not putting some used battery in my second most expensive possession without knowing where it came from.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
I won't be my Dad just yet...

My neighbour brought home a new Merc 'plug-in-hybrid' GLC 350e SUV for a demo spin today.  He is over the moon about it.  For his daily use, the gas motor will never kick in, and in the rare time he drives far enough to use it, the thing gets a ridiculous amount of mileage, and runs in tandem with the electric motors, which put out 400+hp. 

I'm ok with all that.  My son wants me to buy one of the BMW i's, but I'm still boycotting BMW for leaving Sauber to flounder, and can't really afford one anyhow.  I want one of the new $35k Tesla's that are just around the bend.  Here in Europe there isn't a direction you can go without finding a supercharge station within the next 200km, and with a 20min charge you can go another 300km (80% charge - 100% overnight charge is around 375km).  I'm ok with that - I like a coffee every 200km or so while on the road.  I like the tech, not the stink or the sound.

I recognize we can't electrify the world because with current tech there is a finite number of batteries that can be built with the earth's precious minerals, but I think the next battery is just around the corner and I know that there are certainly more than a few thousand researchers looking to store electricity more earth friendly than we are now.

That said, I still like F1, the noise, the spectacle and.

Combustion engines in anything I own?  I'm almost done with that (but if Wizzo shows up with his Caterham one day, of course I'll join him for a ride).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
Now Porsche has announced this is their last year in WEC, they're going to ....FORMULA E

http://en.f1i.com/news/274693-porsche-quits-wec-heads-formula-e.html

If Ferrari announces a move to Formula E, I'm done with racing.  :'(
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »
I can understand all these companies moving to electric racing as it'll compliment road cars whereas F1 never has and never will so maybe they'll stop trying to prove there is a link between F1 and your daily hack and get on with building race cars that sound and look the part.
Gets off soap box and leaves the room.  :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
I wonder how much of the Porsche & Audi moves to Formula E have to do with parent VW's diesel debacle. "Hey, look! We really are green!"

No work yet from the tens of people worldwide who give a fat rat's backside about Formula E.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle