collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 294
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sauber - Ferrari Deal Looks Bad for Wehrlein  (Read 2548 times)

Offline cosworth151

Sauber - Ferrari Deal Looks Bad for Wehrlein
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
 Sauber's new engine deal with Ferrari might cost Pascal Wehrlein his ride. Speculation is that part of the deal will be Sauber taking either Antonio Giovinazzi or Charles Leclerc. Both are Ferrari development drivers.

Sauber management clearly favors Marcus Ericsson. This is in spite of the fact that Wehrlein has scored all of the teams points this season and has out qualified his team mate 8 to 2.

I hope that Pascal can find a ride somewhere in F1. I think he rates one.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/ferrari-sauber-agreement-makes-f1-exit-likely-pascal-wehrlein

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Sauber - Ferrari Deal Looks Bad for Wehrlein
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
Sauber's new engine deal with Ferrari might cost Pascal Wehrlein his ride. Speculation is that part of the deal will be Sauber taking either Antonio Giovinazzi or Charles Leclerc. Both are Ferrari development drivers.

Sauber management clearly favors Marcus Ericsson. This is in spite of the fact that Wehrlein has scored all of the teams points this season and has out qualified his team mate 8 to 2.

I hope that Pascal can find a ride somewhere in F1. I think he rates one.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/ferrari-sauber-agreement-makes-f1-exit-likely-pascal-wehrlein

It is a shame that there's not enough room in F1 for all the drivers who 'deserve' it.  How many potential champions put in one season with a weak team and then lose their spot to a pay driver, or a 'political appointee' that someone has invested in?

All the same, the drivers know what they're getting into when they set their sights on F1, and even getting one year at the top is something special.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
I don't know why Sauber is so focused on Ericsson over Wehrlein.  Clearly even with the possibility of new Ferrari engines, they don't really want to win, just show up.  That won't help attract sponsorship.

Sauber need money.  They can either take it from a pay driver up front, or they can invest in a faster driver bringing less money and eventually attract better sponsorship  by climbing a bit up the championship ladder and perhaps having more thrilling racing.  I would choose the latter (ladder), but I guess they aren't.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:59:31 PM »
I don't know why Sauber is so focused on Ericsson over Wehrlein.  Clearly even with the possibility of new Ferrari engines, they don't really want to win, just show up.  That won't help attract sponsorship.

Sauber need money.  They can either take it from a pay driver up front, or they can invest in a faster driver bringing less money and eventually attract better sponsorship  by climbing a bit up the championship ladder and perhaps having more thrilling racing.  I would choose the latter (ladder), but I guess they aren't.

Because Ericsson is the nearest thing Longbow has to a representative. It's a form of nepotism really. I don't think he's good enough either. However, it keeps Longbow interested, which is more money than Sauber will get from any other source.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:17:45 PM »

Of course Pascal is at Sauber just because of talent. :tease:
F1 has always been a money pit, don't see that  ending anytime soon. Former world champs owe their title to being in the right car, often by luck but more likely by money backing or politics - national, international or within the sport.  How else can you explain Nando's years in the wilderness.

I suggest Toto will decide if Pascal stays on the grid not Ferrari

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
Of course Pascal is at Sauber just because of talent. :tease:
F1 has always been a money pit, don't see that  ending anytime soon. Former world champs owe their title to being in the right car, often by luck but more likely by money backing or politics - national, international or within the sport.  How else can you explain Nando's years in the wilderness.

I suggest Toto will decide if Pascal stays on the grid not Ferrari

I know Wehrlein is tied to Mercedes, and since they have chosen Ferrari's, they don't need him to sign the deal.  But I still think Merc would probably throw SOME cash their way to keep him in a race seat earning experience.  The question is should Longbow blindly force Sauber to retain the slower driver or pull their sponsorship?  I would think clearer heads would choose Wehrlein.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
Maybe there's more to Pascal stopping to pick up Vettel than meets the eye.

After all, he got to HOLD the tippy top secret Ferrari steering wheel that Vettel risked a penalty to hide from prying eyes...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle