collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 515
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1's future?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

F1's future?
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »

Lonny

Offline cosworth151

Re: F1's future?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
They certainly look more possible than most of the future speculations I've see. Two things though: I doubt we'll see the return of cigarette ads and I hope we don't see the arrival of bubble tops.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
With the advent of the halo can closed cockpits be far behind?
All in the interest of safety of course.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
With the advent of the halo can closed cockpits be far behind?
All in the interest of safety of course.

While I agree that a closed cockpit is counter to the historic 'feel' of F1... if they could make it a large bubble so we can actually SEE the drivers beyond a little flash of helmet, that would be great, and far more interesting than what we will see once the halo is deployed

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
A faceless helmet, a halo with a flash of helmet colour, a glass bubble with a flash of helmet colour...it's all the same to me.  As long as the drivers can see in all conditions enough to pilot an F1 car around an F1 course, I'm good with it.  I can see their faces in interviews and podiums.

I don't think a bubble would give any more view into the cockpit than we have now, it will still be a small opening unless they have discovered transparent carbon they can layer on thick enough to prevent injury.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
This ain't your Daddy's F1 or mine
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »

Hasn't been for ages, come on Dare, when was the last time you actually saw an F1 drivers face in an F1 car on the track.  The 60's?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »

Hasn't been for ages, come on Dare, when was the last time you actually saw an F1 drivers face in an F1 car on the track.  The 60's?

I'm talking about F1 now. 12 years ago I would tape qualifying and the
run for the pole and rewatch it. Those days are gone. Teenage drivers
getting F1 drives other probably deserve more. Drivers not allowed to
win and then the team says their under performing.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Robem64

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »

I'm talking about F1 now. 12 years ago I would tape qualifying and the
run for the pole and rewatch it. Those days are gone. Teenage drivers
getting F1 drives other probably deserve more. Drivers not allowed to
win and then the team says their under performing.

I'm not sure of everyone's age on here but I'm wondering if anyone might pipe up and ask "what the hell does taping qualifying mean"!!! (please, nobody mention VHS/Betamax). :swoon:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »
when both Shumacher's,Trulli,Fisi,and all my other favs were
still driving I happily taped it on my VHS....it wasn't that long ago

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 02:09:41 AM »
I remember Dad taping the 2002 Austrian Grand Prix onto tape because I was at a swimming gala, and then having a really tough 24 hours. Most notably: one of my support staff asked me who I supported, and replied "I'm glad you didn't say Michael Schumacher, else you and I would have to have fallen out..." very nearly spoilers.

Nowadays, "taping qualifying" would mean screen-recording an on-demand replay (something I've not done since Spa 2009 - three guesses why, and the first two don't count...) avoiding spoilers is easy. At work, only three other people have any interest in F1 - one likes talking about the Michael Schumacher era and the other two watch F1 purely for the crashes (and openly admit it, to a scary extent). The only time anyone else at work would care about F1 is if I attended a race (because apparently everyone likes daft Alianora adventures).

...maybe that's the solution. F1 should take itself less seriously and be generally more daft about stuff. Spend that last million of the race budget cleaning barnacles off your boat. Have a scheme that lets your factory staff attend three races a year, instead of making them sit at "home" in the factory parsing data. Tell your drivers that they have to do some ridiculous, embarrassing forfeit if they collide with each other, and then let them race each other (I guess Force India's forfeit scheme isn't embarrassing enough...)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:12:42 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:28:43 AM »
I think all of us enjoy Alia's F1 adventures, I know I do. While they are terrifically entertaining, they are certainly not daft. I recall the Tale of Monza quite fondly.  :D :good:
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
Regarding F1; a famous (if you are old and watched a lot of classic UK TV) phophecy comes to mind - "we are doomed!"
Why?
  • F1 is a business not a sport
  • many (if not most) spectators at the races are wealthy 'onlookers' and not true enthusiasts
  • the enthusiasts are trying to watch on TV but that is getting more difficult/expensive
  • the rules have made close racing almost impossible
  • safety concerns are sanitising F1 (not the case for bike racing, saloon racing, etc.)
  • the 'wealth' of F1 has made drivers, cars, pit crews totally anonymous to the punters - during a BTCC meeting they set pit access times allowing spectators to go into the pits and meet the drivers and the teams; at a Drag Racing meeting spectators can access the pits, teams and drivers during the whole meeting)
If the cars end up with canopies and wheel protectors the history and glamour of F1 will be lost completely.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
F1 has been a business for quite a few decades by this point. More to the point, none of the rulemakers or commercial exploiters has considered F1 to have any sporting elements (except in phatic, non-meaningful references) since 2004. Bad habits will be hard to break.

I think most of the onlookers for F1 are actual (if, in the main, middle-class) enthusiasts. The trouble is that the organisers aren't allowed to care for them because they have to focus all their attention on the richest "onlookers" simply to keep their races from losing too much money. However, the working classes have been almost completely shut out from live F1, and those who follow motorsport are these days finding that the live events they can afford are plenty exciting enough, thank you very much. (Though I sense that some series still aren't benefitting from any of this - Caterham Series and Mini Se7ens, I'm looking at you and your ~200 spectators at Donington Park 2 months ago).

Increasingly, it's middle-class people - and people who only watch for the bits that get on YouTube (typically the crashes) that are the people watching, because in many cases the working classes are taking the hint that F1 and its exclusionist media policies aren't for them. It's hard to know whether the lack of free-to-air on TV, or the lack of a free online live service, is more to blame for this.

Close racing is not impossible; in fact this year's had more of it than any other this decade. That there has been so little of it says a lot about F1's refusal to ban the gimmicks that opened the decade, or reduce the tendency of teams to play games with their own drivers.

I'm fine with safety increasing. I'm not fine with the FIA reducing safety while pretending to increase it. It's not so much sanitisation as spraying a load of perfume and hoping it masks the stink...

F1 has pit access times these days. Admittedly, most of them are Thursdays, which prevents the lower-middle-class from attending them, but it's a start.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:36:08 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle