collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 349
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari confirm new Raikkonen deal  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Monty

Ferrari confirm new Raikkonen deal
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
No surprise here but good to see it confirmed. I guess a large part of the decision will be Vettel insisting that Kimi is retained as number 2 before he signs. I am really hoping that Kimi ignores his number two status and goes out there to take some wins - although history has shown that when a Ferrari number two goes rogue their car suddenly starts to lose power or develop faults!

Offline Robem64

Re: Ferrari confirm new Raikkonen deal
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »
Great news...where would we be without Kimi's radio playouts :yahoo:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Good news indeed! He's certainly earned a race seat.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »
Really pleased to hear that.  I think Kimi is fine to play a supporting role as long as his own hopes are mathematically done...otherwise, forget about it.  He's most likely on his last contract with Ferrari, so what would he have to lose to look only after himself.   :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:35 AM »
While Kimi certainly has earned a spot at Ferrari, I think that both Kimi and the sport would be better suited with a 'scrappy' team.

Sauber is poised to turn a corner, and a driver with experience and the ability to draw attention might suit them, even if he'd strain their budget.

Haas would be another great fit for Kimi from a sporting point of view.

RBR would be the best fit, he's the driver that most suits Red Bull's approach to sports.  Who can't imagine Kimi driving a Red Bull branded snowmobile in the off season?  The fact this will never happen is the greatest (non safety related) shame in the modern F1 era.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
I wonder if Vettel will go for a one year extension to give him options for 2019?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
Raikkonen has been awarded this contract essentially because he is the driver who Vettel wanted as his team mate.  Vettel increasingly calls the shots at Ferrari, since he is trying to emulate Schumacher.  Vettel does not get on well with the majority of the other top drivers, so this outcome was always inevitable.

Raikkonen isn't going to win many, if any, races at Ferrari.  He's not fast enough in the races compared to Vettel and lacks the consistency that he used to have in his first decade in Formula 1.  I've never been a fan of his either, so I would rather have seen a change, but it was never going to happen.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
I don't believe that for one second.  Vettel has a dribble of the power Schumacher had in the team.  There was some talk of even dropping Vettel last season.  I seriously doubt Vettel has a call on who his teammate is.  He's simply not that valuable.  Teams have to realize that among the top ten drivers, few really stand out from the rest.  The pecking order in the top ten has more to do with the car and a bit of luck than any talent.  Ferrari know this and would not cede control of driver choice or any other management to someone like Vettel.

It's abundantly clear that you are not a Kimi fan, and your opinions and assessment of him are biased.  I don't share them in any way.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
I don't believe that for one second.  Vettel has a dribble of the power Schumacher had in the team.  There was some talk of even dropping Vettel last season.  I seriously doubt Vettel has a call on who his teammate is.  He's simply not that valuable.  Teams have to realize that among the top ten drivers, few really stand out from the rest.  The pecking order in the top ten has more to do with the car and a bit of luck than any talent.  Ferrari know this and would not cede control of driver choice or any other management to someone like Vettel.

In the Schumacher/Ferrari era Schumacher was the face of F1 like no one before or since.  Todt/Brawn/Schumacher collaborated on turning F1 into the modern professionally run sport we see today.  Schumacher had power because there was literally no one to replace him, but there are literally a dozen racers who probably as good as Vettel if they had the same equipment. 

Kimi is definitely winding down his time as a 'top' F1 driver in terms of talent, but he provides character to a sport that is saddled with drivers who are either 'keep it clean, I've got sponsors to think of' or 'I'm a bad ass, and sponsors like me because I break the rules'.  Kimi is the throwback to 'give me a car and I'll race, and when that's done, I'll go to a party and have fun'.  The sponsors, of course, love that.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
Kimi is the throwback to 'give me a car and I'll race, and when that's done, I'll go to a party and have fun'.  The sponsors, of course, love that.

So do a lot of the fans.   :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
I think Vettel did have a input keeping Kimi for
next year...after that I'm not so sure.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »

All I've read about that is pure speculation.  Nobody but Kimi, Vettel and Ferrari know the situation, and they aren't saying.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:00 AM »
Kimi is the throwback to 'give me a car and I'll race, and when that's done, I'll go to a party and have fun'.  The sponsors, of course, love that.

So do a lot of the fans.   :yahoo:

It's almost painful sometimes watching Hamilton and Verstappen try to imitate Kimi.  The drivers need to just be themselves.  Hamilton lets it slip every once in a while, he really is a wide eyed kid who can't believe his luck, but tries to cover it up by pretending he's too cool for school.  Max is dangerously close to being an a-hole for the ages and acts like he's just being honest.  He might as well take that one step and embrace it.  The sport could use a villain now that Bernie is gone.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »

I'm not so sure the Vettel input helped in quite the way we'd all expect Dare.

.My take is that Ferrari was having trouble securing Seb beyond one year, they signed Kimi as insurance putting pressure on Vettel that it was 3 years or nothing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:08:35 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »

I beg to differ.  There were stories from credible sources, such as Autosport, that Vettel has been trying to build Ferrari around him, just as Schumacher did.  There were doubts raised last year, I agree, but there was never any real likelihood that Vettel would be dropped, as Ferrari knew that they needed to keep one of the top drivers (Vettel is a top driver, even though he's not the best driver by some margin) in Formula 1.

It's abundantly clear that you are not a Kimi fan, and your opinions and assessment of him are biased.  I don't share them in any way.

It's true that I have never liked him.  I find his lack of respect for the audience, both in terms of his radio outbursts, and his attitude to procedures, such as speaking to the media, appalling.  I think that he sets a dreadful example to up and coming drivers and to the fans, and I've never understood why he has such a following.  He is completely unwilling to communicate in any meaningful way.

My assessment of him in the car, however, is based on his performances and results.  Since he won the title in 2007, a title which he only won because Hamilton and Alonso became so obsessed with beating each other that they forgot all about Raikkonen, and he stole the title by just one point at the last race, Raikkonen has rarely shown any sort of championship winning form.  He was breathtakingly fast in the mid 2000s when driving for McLaren.  He was at the top of his form then, but I always felt that he demanded too much of this machinery and pushed it too hard for too long in some races, notably the infamous 2005 European Grand Prix, which he lost after his left front tyre and suspension disintegrated after he'd damaged the tyre earlier in the race from pushing too hard.

Raikkonen has never managed to replicate the speed that he had back in the mid 2000s.  2008 was a poor defence of his title and he wasn't really on the pace in 2009 either.  This is why he left Formula 1.  When he returned with Lotus he was starting to show more of his old form, but not consistently.  Since rejoining Ferrari he has been a shadow of himself.  He rarely beats Vettel in the races and has very inconsistent pace.  All of this is based on facts, not personal bias.  The statistics do not lie.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle