collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 358
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Will Mclaren switch engines

yes
5 (62.5%)
no
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Mclaren engine switch  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Mclaren engine switch
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
In a triumph of optimism over history
:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD  No kidding...that's rather premature.  I wonder how thick the envelope was that slid across the table to Marko while he was having lunch with Honda executives.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
Or, now that they have presumably secured McLaren, Renault may be tired of being blamed for all of R/B's failures and told them to p*ss off.   :DntKnw:

http://en.f1i.com/news/279572-renault-red-bull-heading-split.html
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
Really, didn't RBR learn their lesson the last time?  Don't blat about your new engine supply until it is an actual thing.  The Renault was giving them at least a podium every couple of races. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
It's official. McLaren leaves Honda for Renault. Honda goes to Toro Rosso. Renault backed Carlos Sainz will leave STR & go to Renault, where he will replace Jolyn Palmer. Palmer has an iron clad contract (if there ever is such a thing in F1) so he will stay at Renault until the end of the season.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41142671
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »
It's official. McLaren leaves Honda for Renault. Honda goes to Toro Rosso. Renault backed Carlos Sainz will leave STR & go to Renault, where he will replace Jolyn Palmer. Palmer has an iron clad contract (if there ever is such a thing in F1) so he will stay at Renault until the end of the season.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41142671

Does that leave Kubica as the one left out of the shuffle?  While it was a long shot for him to replace Palmer, it seems to be no shot at all to replace Sainz or Hulkenberg.  I expect STR will promote another Red Bull young driver to replace Sainz.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
During FP2 coverage on NBC, they mentioned a rumor around the paddock that Williams were interested in him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
It seems that the rumours are for Alonso, De Resta or Palmer to Williams so based on that it'll be someone else!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
I still think after such a catastrophic accident, he either has some range of movement problem or something else that doesn't allow him to perform at top levels for race distances.  Renault must have some data after their test was negative.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
I still think after such a catastrophic accident, he either has some range of movement problem or something else that doesn't allow him to perform at top levels for race distances.  Renault must have some data after their test was negative.

Age is not on his side either.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 11:12:46 PM »
They said on Channel 4 coverage of FP2 that Renault have released Robert from his test contract with them to allow him to look for other seats. They also hinted that Massa is getting impatient with Williams because he's in the dark about what"s happening for next year.

Is this as simple as connecting these two facts?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
Except I read that Claire Williams said they had no interest in Alonso or Kubica. Of course that could be smoke and mirrors.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »
McLaren had no choice but to obtain a new engine.  The car is good this year and it is being held back by the engine, but Alonso is the crucial piece in the jigsaw.  He has a strong relationship with Renault from his two different stints at the team and the only way McLaren were going to keep him was to replace Honda.  As a result, I think that Alonso will now remain at McLaren.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Does that leave Kubica as the one left out of the shuffle?  While it was a long shot for him to replace Palmer, it seems to be no shot at all to replace Sainz or Hulkenberg.  I expect STR will promote another Red Bull young driver to replace Sainz.

As I understand it, Sainz is on a one-year loan to Renault. I think he's keeping Kubica's seat warm until Renault and Robert feel ready to proceed together (which I predict will be in 2019, but could potentially be 2020).

If the plan goes to plan (this is F1, so it probably won't), then in 2019, Kubica will partner with either Hulkenberg or Rowland (depending on whether Nico moves in next year's shuffle). Sainz will return to Toro Rosso, to partner Matsushita (who, according to the apparent plan, will be reserve driver for Toro Rosso). Gasly will almost certainly get promoted to Red Bull as replacement for whichever of Verstappen or Ricciardo finally gets picked up by Mercedes/Ferrari. Kyvat gets a stay of execution until the end of 2018, so that he can help train up Gasly and Matsushita.

My understanding is that Fernando Alonso is too expensive for Williams, and that Williams might, for a sufficiently low salary demand, now be willing to take a chance on Robert - due to increased confidence in Lance Stroll's ability to get points in the last few races combined with unexpectedly good test results on Robert's part last test. If the Williams deal doesn't happen, expect Robert to sign a fresh test-to-race contract with Renault on better financial terms than the one he previously had.

Hope that helps.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
I doubt Kubica will be back in an F1 car any time soon.
I have often been known to be wrong though!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
Or, now that they have presumably secured McLaren, Renault may be tired of being blamed for all of R/B's failures and told them to p*ss off.   :DntKnw:

And heaven knows that McLaren would never blame a lack of performance on their engine supplier, especially if Alonso stays with them.   ::)
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle